Running

trimandson

Arrrrggggghhhh, another run, same old calf strain. It's pissing me off because I'm not being able to run to my full potential and the most I'm being able to run is about 10 minutes with a 3-4 minute walk and then the cycle starts over. I spent the whole run thinking of causes - running style, not enough warm up, over stretching?

How long do people warm up for? do you do your stretches and go into a constant pace or do you build up to it?

5 minutes of stretching, slow jog for a bit then up the pace after half a mile or so. My calves are knackered too and will tighten for days if I don't stretch properly before a run or footy, but they seem to be able to cope with up to half an hour of running. I'm not fit enough to do any more :)

Getting some ice on them after each run might be an idea. If symptoms persist, go see a physio - you might find out that it's more related to your core strength and resulting posture, as mine did with a recent achilles problem.

A work colleague knows a running coach and asked me if I wanted to join up for a session to learn some techniques and tips. I wonder how bad I really am :lol:
Do it.

Stretching: there is a school of thought that says you should always stretch AFTER running, but never BEFORE, as stretching un-warmed-up muscles and tendons is likely to do more harm than good.

Having said that, it's exactly what I do and I'm slightly injured at the moment - very sore achilles after my last race three weeks ago. I've had the excuse to rest it while I was in Majorca, but funnily enough on our last full day (Sunday) I discovered the Pollensa half-marathon was on there. Just as well I didn't realise earlier, or I'd have entered it and run on the injury with the inevitable effects (exactly what I did in Prague a couple of years ago).

Doing my first run after the rest this evening with the club. Fingers crossed.

We seem to be getting quite the VT running club going here.

5 minutes of stretching, slow jog for a bit then up the pace after half a mile or so.

Gonna try a bit of a longer warm up then. What I've been doing is a fast walk for about 2 minutes (after the stretches of course) then into full pace, fingers crossed... I'm thinking becuase I've only been running two months or so, I'm trying to much too soon maybe? and my muscles are still adapting or whatever. I can't stop myself though I love pushing myself.

Stretching: there is a school of thought that says you should always stretch AFTER running, but never BEFORE, as stretching un-warmed-up muscles and tendons is likely to do more harm than good.

Some say 10-15 mins warmup then stretching.

However along with the recommended warm down and stretch out, it turns even the smallest run into a long winded effort!

I do maybe 2-3min warm up at most - far better results from stretching et al after a run.

Same for the other half (it was she who told me) - and she can do anything from 6-12 miles in a day.

Wore cheap trainers - aggravated (old) ankle injury, almost finished off what a Volvo pulling out on me started (knees). Got proper ones - no problem at all. Paid £60 plus a couple of pounds for some decent socks.

However along with the recommended warm down and stretch out, it turns even the smallest run into a long winded effort!

Totally agree. And my laziness/impatience always comes back to bite me. Had my first run for three weeks on Tuesday. Achilles still dodgy, so just did a steady five miler (45 mins or so). Not too much reaction so I'll go out again this evening. Next race is on May 4th, I'm running out of time.

Totally agree. And my laziness/impatience always comes back to bite me. Had my first run for three weeks on Tuesday. Achilles still dodgy, so just did a steady five miler (45 mins or so). Not too much reaction so I'll go out again this evening. Next race is on May 4th, I'm running out of time.

May the 4th be with you in that race.

I do a spot of jogging, probably twice a week, about 4 miles each time. I only do it to keep in shape for boxing and football, it's suits a purpose but i don't particularly enjoy it.

It's the Sutton Fun Run soon, anyone doing that?

Where you box?

I run about 12km in the gym now about 3 times a week. A couple of months ago before my wedding i d be struggling at 3 or 4. Hardly ever stretch beforehand lucky if i even stretch for a minute. Who ever recommended that collins and Herring podcast is a genius helps keep me ticking over when I run.

Shiiiiiiiiit!

I thought I needed something to aim for to keep me motivated, so I've signed up for a relay race around the island at the end of June. It's 90 miles, split between teams of 10, so about 9-10 miles each on average. I bought myself some decentish trainers, and did my first run last night. I managed about a mile and a half of a slow jog without stopping before my legs ached, I was out of breath and had to walk home. This morning I felt like my legs had been encased in concrete.

I'm starting to think this was a bad idea. How many times a week is a slightly overweight, extremely unfit 37 year old going to have to run before it starts to hurt less.

PS any tips on stretching warming up greatly appreciated.

Â