Running

trimandson

Hi Guys, hoping for some expert advice. Believe it or not I used to be quite the runner, at my peak 16,17, 18 I would generally always win the middle distance runs at school which included the teachers and the lads who were signed totop football clubs. Sadly now mainly thanks to rubbish knees I've piled on the pounds. I really fancy getting back into some cross country running and think the best motivation would be to be able to measure accurately how far I run each time. Now I know Garmin do some GPS watches and theres the Nike+ Ipod thing (I have a gen1 Ipod touch and think it doesn't work on that). Are there any other options for recording and plotting my runs digitally (cheaper?).

map my run is pretty good. Gives you a graph with altitude and stuff. You can also search for runs in your area that other people have uploaded. I've only managed to get it to follow roads though, so I don't think its useful for canals, parks etc.

You can turn on the satellite view, like in Google Earth, etc.

Cheers, but will it work on my ipod touch 1st gen?

I don't think they do applications for ipods. What I do is just time myself and map the run on the comp before hand. From that you can work out your average speed over the whole run. On from that I suppose you could do time splits every mile or so by knowing where the mile marks are and just pressing a button on your watch as you go through.

If you really want to do time/distance measurement, just bite the bullet and buy a Garmin.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot: join your local running club. 8)

Hi Guys, hoping for some expert advice. Believe it or not I used to be quite the runner, at my peak 16,17, 18 I would generally always win the middle distance runs at school which included the teachers and the lads who were signed totop football clubs. Sadly now mainly thanks to rubbish knees I've piled on the pounds. I really fancy getting back into some cross country running and think the best motivation would be to be able to measure accurately how far I run each time. Now I know Garmin do some GPS watches and theres the Nike+ Ipod thing (I have a gen1 Ipod touch and think it doesn't work on that). Are there any other options for recording and plotting my runs digitally (cheaper?).

map my run is pretty good. Gives you a graph with altitude and stuff. You can also search for runs in your area that other people have uploaded. I've only managed to get it to follow roads though, so I don't think its useful for canals, parks etc.

You can turn on the satellite view, like in Google Earth, etc.

Cheers, but will it work on my ipod touch 1st gen?

I don't think they do applications for ipods. What I do is just time myself and map the run on the comp before hand. From that you can work out your average speed over the whole run. On from that I suppose you could do time splits every mile or so by knowing where the mile marks are and just pressing a button on your watch as you go through.

Cheers, at first glance I thought it was an iphone/pod app but now i see what it is! Great, looks really good.

• 4 weeks later...

How far should you be running and thinking about having a camelpack or taking water?

Did three, hour long 10ks last week and didn't find myself needing water.

When should you be having some, during?

I have a pain in the back of my leg when I run, I'm pretty sure that it's not my hamstring as its not painful when I extend, just when I make certain movements.

I stretch for about 10 mins before and after, but I can't seem to make it go away.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've got a problem with my knee.

It doesn't always bother me, but when it does it's horrible. I play 5 aside and run here and there and as I said, sometimes I can run around for an hour and not feel anything, other times I will be running for 5 minutes and my knee will go and I basically can't sprint or I have to stop. Hard to explain where the pain is but I@ll have a go. If you bend your leg at the knee fully and feel the top of your knee cap. Then move towards the outside of the leg, there's a sort of hollow area between knee cap and leg bones. That's where I have the pain which stops me from sprinting.

The doctor told me it could be my knee cap slipping. He sent me for physio and the physio told me it was something to do with the muscles in my leg overdeveloping, becoming tight and rubbing against my knee. So he gave me some stretches.

I'm not convinced he's right.

Anyone encountered anything like this and know what it might be?

Two things...

I've decided to get on a bit of a health tip now I've found a couple of things I enjoy doing again, so went for my first jog in ages last night.

Found a nice flat patch, concrete or grass, long and straight.

Now, when I started to run initially, I trained against lamposts (walk one, run one).

Is this the best way to start? I'm out of shape to the point of not being able to run much more than about 200m without panting and nearly collapsing :oops:

And another thing, I noticed yesterday when I was running, I seem to turn my left foot in slightly (spazzin' it slightly), but I was wearing a pair of Sambas to run in, I'm guesing these aren't ideal. Would this be the problem? I've never noticed it before, and I'm pretty sure I do run like that when I play football.

Thanks in advance,

Trimbo.

When you say running, do you mean going at a good pelt, a sprint, or just "jogging".

You must be awfully unfit to not be able to go 200m ;-)

You know what, I can't seem to jog, I think that may be much of the problem. I go at football pace. I can't go slow, if I go slow I get bored.

And yes, I am incredibly unfit at the minute, that's why I'm addressing the situation, thanks.

You know what, I can't seem to jog, I think that may be much of the problem. I go at football pace. I can't go slow, if I go slow I get bored.

I used to have this bother. Persevere though mate, get into a slow riddim (dub, not DnB on your iPod). You'll go much,much farther, feel a lot better for it and maybe even get the bug.

I used to have this bother. Persevere though mate, get into a slow riddim (dub, not DnB on your iPod). You'll go much,much farther, feel a lot better for it and maybe even get the bug.

I got the bug, I love running, but can't seem to go any slower.

I've only ever run when I've played sport, so a quick short blast is about all I can manage naturally, and if I start running to dub music I might aswell take a beanbag with me :D

I feel as though there is no benefit to going any slower, like I might aswell do a quick walk instead.

Maybe it's because I've never done it before, it just feels alien, like I'm not going anywhere.

Even when I played football I was usually a 'targetman' (read goalhanger) so the running was fairly limited then. Hmmmm (apart from one season where I played predominantly rightback which absolutely **** killed me).

Â