Running

trimandson

So, how is everyone doing?

Been training for the Lincoln 10k which is this weekend, going ok no problems, will be able to do it under and hour which will be good for me, aiming for 50mins though.

Any tips for preparation the day/days before what to eat, drink etc?

Been training for the Lincoln 10k which is this weekend, going ok no problems, will be able to do it under and hour which will be good for me, aiming for 50mins though.

Dont really know how running correlates to bike racing but... a 10k is probably close to a 25 mile time trial i.e. about an hours eyeballs-out effort. So probably no need to carbo-load too much in the preceding days (no curries tho'). On the day, I reckon you will get away with a fairly light breakfast eg cereal, toast & honey or similar or even a couple of GO-Bars which, although tasting like carboard with crushed ants, do fend-off the knock(do runners get this?) A good cheap drink (as suggested by my Doc) is orange squash with glucose powder.Do runners use embrocation - you could consider this, particularly at this time of year. Good luck - no racing for me until early April :)

Yep, all basically right, Velo. Have a day's rest before the race, lay off the beer for a night, eat a light breakfast and then Just Do It.

It's amazing how many (well-trained) beginning runners get it wrong on the day though - the most common mistake being to start off too fast and then run out of gas. Work out your kilometre splits and try and maintain a regular pace that you know you can handle. Chances are you'll have enough left to kick on in the last couple of Ks and go all out for the line. If you start feeling tired and losing concentration, start focusing on picking off the guys in front, one at a time. It's a great psychologial boost to be passing people in the second half of the race - they're usually the ones who went off too fast at the start.

But if you get the running bug one bad race is no bad deal. If you get it wrong, do it better next time. A lifetime of chasing PBs awaits!

Round the bays, kerikeri half marathon, all done this year.
Sounds great. Decent times?

Not really, I did them with Aston in the pram, which is you can imagine really affected my times, but still really enjoyed them.

Shit! we have some hardcore runners on here. I've been running for about a month now and am currently running 5k in about 32 mins. running 2-3 times a week.. bloody hard going to begin with, seemed like I was running for hours - but the more I do it the easier it's becoming. Anybody get a bit of a rush when you've been running a while? best thing ever...

Interesting this thread came up, as I've just been on my first run in a couple of months. I've had a lot of stuff going on lately and haven't really been in good physical shape at all. Now I've decided to try a bit of sunday league level football again, so I felt I needed to get in (slightly better) shape before I lace my boots for my comeback.

So I take my running shoes on and actually felt pretty good the first mile or so. Then my calfs suddenly said 'no Sir, we're not doing this anymore'. That's the worst thing about starting from scratch again - your legs just can't handle the running on tarmac. I managed to run the last couple of miles of my round eventually, but it was painful. Will probably have another go tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Interesting this thread came up, as I've just been on my first run in a couple of months. I've had a lot of stuff going on lately and haven't really been in good physical shape at all. Now I've decided to try a bit of sunday league level football again, so I felt I needed to get in (slightly better) shape before I lace my boots for my comeback.

So I take my running shoes on and actually felt pretty good the first mile or so. Then my calfs suddenly said 'no Sir, we're not doing this anymore'. That's the worst thing about starting from scratch again - your legs just can't handle the running on tarmac. I managed to run the last couple of miles of my round eventually, but it was painful. Will probably have another go tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Too far, too fast, too soon. The classic mistake.

If you've done nothing for ages, you need a much gentler return to running. Just do (say) 15-20 minutes, jogging pace. Have a day off to recover. Then slowly increase the time until you start to feel more comfortable with it. Forget about speed, forget about distance. After a couple of weeks you can start to push it a bit and throw in some fartlek (alternating fast/slow) and longer runs. You'll get there.

Shit! we have some hardcore runners on here. I've been running for about a month now and am currently running 5k in about 32 mins. running 2-3 times a week.. bloody hard going to begin with, seemed like I was running for hours - but the more I do it the easier it's becoming. Anybody get a bit of a rush when you've been running a while? best thing ever...
Oh yes, it's great. The other side of the coin though is when you're pushing yourself near your limits in races, and having to overcomeyour brain telling you to slow down. Satisfying when you cross the line in a good time though.

I'm definitely addicted to the competiive element in racing, I don't think I could just run "for fun".

Thing is, I wasn't going very fast and hadn't really planned to run a very long distance at all. I was breathing quite comfortably all the way. I've made the classic mistakes before, and you're absolutely right. It's important to ease back into it, or you'll hit the wall before ou really get going. It was just the tarmac my legs objected to. That's the negative with living in the city, I guess - it's a tarmac jungle and my body has never really cared much for running on tarmac.

Thing is, I wasn't going very fast and hadn't really planned to run a very long distance at all. I was breathing quite comfortably all the way. I've made the classic mistakes before, and you're absolutely right. It's important to ease back into it, or you'll hit the wall before ou really get going. It was just the tarmac my legs objected to. That's the negative with living in the city, I guess - it's a tarmac jungle and my body has never really cared much for running on tarmac.
Got any parks nearby? Or are you still under snow? :)

Got any parks nearby? Or are you still under snow? :)

Still got a bit of snow, I'm afraid :)

There is a cemetery nearby my building though with a couple of miles of gravel paths. It's a bit morbid to work on your health in a cemetery I guess, but I've done a few laps in there a few times. Will probably start using it again when all the snow's gone.

I have been running for over one year now, and the day i give up running is the day i give up living

running really are like a drug, if you don't get it, you feel down and out

Monday: Running for around 42 min

Tuesday: Around 130 push-up and other training for around 30 min

Wednesday: Running around 42 min

Thursday: Around 130 push-up and other traning for around 30 min

Friday: Running Around 42 min

Saturday: Free :-)

Sunday: Around 130 push-up and other traning for around 30 min

Too far, too fast, too soon. The classic mistake.

If you've done nothing for ages, you need a much gentler return to running. Just do (say) 15-20 minutes, jogging pace. Have a day off to recover. Then slowly increase the time until you start to feel more comfortable with it. Forget about speed, forget about distance. After a couple of weeks you can start to push it a bit and throw in some fartlek (alternating fast/slow) and longer runs. You'll get there.

Yep that seems to be my mistake too. Only been able to go twice and I keep feeling dead for a few days after so I cant run again. My free time totally varies too so I cant keep to a proper system and because I just jumped into two 5 mile runs I haven't looked forward to going again. Have to change my plan and do slower runs for a while.

Im doing the fun run in May and I want to be able to run at least the first 6 miles in a decent time. If I have to I can drag myself the last 2 and a bit miles! I dont want to get to the first mile and find me stopping already.

Anyone else also eat bananas before running? Not seen this talked about yet.

well, im thinking about doing it as i've been playing football this season. But recently, i've exerpienced really bad groin strain, a bad back, and sore knees. Im only 25, slim and i thought i was in decent shape.

This is the first year since i was 17 or so that i've played consistently but cant believe how many niggles and injuries ive picked up and have now had to stop playing. would going for jogs help or is it likely theres something more sinister wrong??

Anyone else also eat bananas before running? Not seen this talked about yet.
Bananas are good, because they give you a slow energy release (unlike processed stuff which gives you the classic sugar rush "crash and burn"). Cereals are good too, especially porridge. Some people do find they can't run until a long time after eating - you have to do a bit of trial and error to see how long you need to let food digest. I'm lucky, I can eat a reasonable meal and run within the hour, but that seems to be unusual.

Â