Running

trimandson

Doing on average 5/6k at the moment taking about half hour.

You running with medicine balls attached to your legs??

Err i've only just started! :?

Best is 7 in 28min.

I'll try and do a 4min mile by the end of the week!

What kind of a post is that???

Just commenting on how slow it is. :lol: Don't take it to heart.

There's another 10 minutes to come off that time.

Didn't come across that well I thought. Things have a tendency to sound better in ones head than on a messageboard.

Anyway, back on topic, will be buying a new pair of trainers. New models out in Feb/march

well as I'm sure I posted my running career was cut short by a couple of knee ops ...being an active sort I've been trying all manor treatments with zero success ...however recently I've started taking Chondroitin & Glucosamine with MSM complex which i picked up in Holland and Barrett

and I've recently started running again .only treadmill stuff to start with but i knocked out 30 mins today and no side effects ... been to the gym 3 times now in the past week and been building up the run times .. before i alwasy got discomfort around the knee and would have to stop ... but not since i started on this tablet ...

long way to go to get me back to my 18 min 5 k's but tbh i don't care I'm just glad to be able to run again ... another month to see if i have any reaction and then hopefully will get back outdoor running again ...maybe my fatty days are behind me again :-)

There's another 10 minutes to come off that time.

I suppose it depends on where yuou are running, if you are running on a track, yes it's slow, if you are running through steep bush, then it's a good time.

Are rest days really that important if i'm not feeling tired, i just want to go again; obviously i dont want to injure myself.
The short distances you're doing are OK, if you feel good just run. Not necessarily seven days a week, you do need the odd rest, but your body will tell you. Also depends on your age. As an old codger I find I need a bit more recovery time, younger guys can probably get away with a bit less.
Whats this about ice baths are they worth it or only after super long runs and i shouldn't worry?
Again, at these distances, forget it. After a marathon I can see the case maybe, but it's more for the pro athletes IMO.

well as I'm sure I posted my running career was cut short by a couple of knee ops ...being an active sort I've been trying all manor treatments with zero success ...however recently I've started taking Chondroitin & Glucosamine with MSM complex which i picked up in Holland and Barrett

and I've recently started running again .only treadmill stuff to start with but i knocked out 30 mins today and no side effects ... been to the gym 3 times now in the past week and been building up the run times .. before i alwasy got discomfort around the knee and would have to stop ... but not since i started on this tablet ...

long way to go to get me back to my 18 min 5 k's but tbh i don't care I'm just glad to be able to run again ... another month to see if i have any reaction and then hopefully will get back outdoor running again ...maybe my fatty days are behind me again :-)

Fantastic news Tony, hope it all goes OK. 18 minute 5Ks is very impressive - I'd give my right leg for one of those! (current PB - 20:38 ).

Are rest days really that important if i'm not feeling tired, i just want to go again; obviously i dont want to injure myself.
The short distances you're doing are OK, if you feel good just run. Not necessarily seven days a week, you do need the odd rest, but your body will tell you. Also depends on your age. As an old codger I find I need a bit more recovery time, younger guys can probably get away with a bit less.
Whats this about ice baths are they worth it or only after super long runs and i shouldn't worry?
Again, at these distances, forget it. After a marathon I can see the case maybe, but it's more for the pro athletes IMO.

Cheers MJ.

So what distances should i consider having rest days?

Anything beyond 10k i should be having a rest day for example?

I tend to run 3 days, and rest 4 days of the week.

Tuesday's & Thursday's are my during the week run night. I tend to do around 6k's in just under half an hour. Sunday's I tend to push myself further, say a 10/12k run.

I've been doing this for over 15 years now and never really had a running related injury.

Cheers MJ.

So what distances should i consider having rest days?

Anything beyond 10k i should be having a rest day for example?

I don't think there's a simple formula, it just depends how much effort you're expending; there is a theory that your body actually builds up the muscles more during the rest days in between efforts, and if you never stop to rest it can't do so as efficiently. I dunno, I think you just have to experiment with what works for you.

In a good week I run maybe three or four times, but I try and mix up the speeds and distances:

Monday - rest/walk

Tuesday - evening club run, hard effort (either distance, or speed reps, or hill reps, or fartlek)

Wednesday - rest/walk

Thursday - either rest/walk OR evening club run (6 miles or so, easy pace)

Friday - either rest/walk OR run to work (7 miles, easy pace), depending on Thursday

Saturday - short, easy run with the missus (3 or 4 miles, very slow) or longer walk

Sunday - longer run (10+ miles, easy pace) OR a race (every 4-6 weeks or so)

Some weeks vary enormously from the above, and I do miss days out quite frequently. It's just what works for me as a 55 year old. The Runners' World website has various training schedules you can try.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump the thread to see how everybody's training is going. Anybody done a race? Given up on the whole thing?

I've increased my weekly mileage to about 30 miles p/w (in four sessions) and it seems to be paying off, with increased stamina and speed.

Did a cross-country race at the weekend and had to beat a hasty retreat from a crazed horse (which had just kicked **** out of another runner's leg) by running through gorse bushes (got some impressive scratches) and leaping a wall! The joys of the countryside.

So, how is everyone doing?

Â