Running

trimandson

I entered and won a half marathon yesterday :) Very pleased with that as 10km is my longest run before - however the half marathon was all downhill (top of the valley to the centre of the town) and my 10km is usually from halfway down that valley to the top (same route but in reverse)

I'm pleased :) although I only won it because the boy who'd led the whole race died off at the end :) zing :)

Sometimes when I run the outside of my foot feels like its burning. I notice it most when I have ran a bit then walked. Iv picked this up from runnersworld.

''Supination, also known as underpronation, is the opposite to pronation where the feet don't roll inward enough. Wearing the wrong type of shoe will lead to painful shins and joints, or even injury.''

Im hoping this will go away in time after I have used my running shoes more because I cant afford to be buying another pair. :(

I'm no expert but some inserts might help with that Andy

Right, haven't run properly for ages, went out tonight with a seasoned runner, and did 50minutes interval training, 2.5mins on, 2.5mins off.

Absolutely killed me, but by far the most I've done for ages, and I feel bloody good for it too. Must learn how to stretch properly in the future though, because it didn't take long for the aches to kick in, especially in right ankle.

Anyways, looks like it's gonna be a regular thing, so expect some updates!

Well, as the mad six-race orgy that is May 2009 approaches, sure enough the injuries start kicking in. Ba-a-a-a-d achilles pain (aggravated by that 10K the other week) stopped my Tuesday run in its tracks. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Off to Majorca for a week on Monday so I'm just going to rest it until I get back and then try and ease back in to a bit of last-minute training and hope for the best.

'Twas ever thus.

The Mrs and I are almost running for 30 mins non stop on the Runners World programme. Next week and we do the full stretch in one. I never thought that I would get into it but it has allowed me to keep up a decent level of drinking and stiil lose just over a stone since the start of the year. Sweet.

The Mrs and I are almost running for 30 mins non stop on the Runners World programme. Next week and we do the full stretch in one. I never thought that I would get into it but it has allowed me to keep up a decent level of drinking and stiil lose just over a stone since the start of the year. Sweet.
Yes, that's the beauty of it. If you persevere, your fitness improves at an amazing pace. An otherwise healthy person should be able to trainup from zero to being able to complete a full marathon well wihin a year, if they really want to, and if they train sensibly. In fact that's exactly what I did, back in my late 20s.

Whether I'll ever do another 26.2 now is a moot point. I know I could, but I don't know if I want to commit to that amount of time in training every week.

Incidentally, 30 minutes non-stop running (pace irrelevant) is the minimum ability required to join our running club. You might consider contacting your local club - meet fellow runners and improve way faster than you would on your own.

And yes, you're dead right about the eating and drinking - great, isn't it!

Incidentally, 30 minutes non-stop running (pace irrelevant) is the minimum ability required to join our running club.

That's a pretty tough rule, I suppose it's easy at a really slow pace but at my average pace of around 10 km/h ATM, I have to stop at least once, saying that i've only been running about 2 months now.

Incidentally, 30 minutes non-stop running (pace irrelevant) is the minimum ability required to join our running club.

That's a pretty tough rule, I suppose it's easy at a really slow pace but at my average pace of around 10 km/h ATM, I have to stop at least once, saying that i've only been running about 2 months now.

Had to do some mental gymnastics with that kph figure as I tend to think in mins per mile. I guess that's about 10 minute miling, which is perfectly acceptable for a relative beginner. As for the half-hour non-stop thing - once you can do it, you can do it, and you'll forget that there was a time when you couldn't.

The thing is that, although the improvement is inevitable with practice, it isn't a straight-line graph; you'll probably make great great strides for a while and then seem to "stick" - but after a while you get a "burst" and go up to another level. That's where the working with slightly better runners comes in. It drags you up to the next level quicker. The important word though is "slightly". Those who are MUCH better than you can demoralise you all too easily.

Staying through at the girlfriends place in the wilds of County Durham for the Bank Holiday weekend. Given the amount of beer that is anticpated, I thought it would be a good idea to bring the running tackle. So, last night, I mapped out a route on mapmyrun.com (try it BTW, it's brilliant) for this morning. A nice 1.80 miles. Or so I thought. Not being too familiar with the area, I missed a turn off.

After a while, I realised I'd gone wrong, but kept going until a recognisable landmark, so that I could re-map the route when I got back. It was hard work, and I thought maybe I'd put an extra half a mile on my 1.80. Once I got back and was compus mentis enough to operate a PC, I logged back in to mapmyrun and re-calculated. It was 2.99 miles! Longer than I've done for over 18 months. Get in. :hooray:

Gonna feel it tomorrow mind. At least until the Guinness kicks in. :cheers:

Another mile and a half in the bank last night. I really didn't fancy it - it's really foggy up here at the minute, has been for days. I ain't seen the sunshine since, I don't know when. But out I went and felt much better for it. So if anyone's feeling like they should go, but can't be arsed, just get out and do it.

BTW, the mile and a half last night felt much harder than the 3 at the weekend. Weird how that sometimes is innit?

I'm thinking of taking up running, as it's the only sport that doesn't involve a degree of hand/eye coordination. Can anybody suggest a decent pair of trainers to get going with, and any other tips etc, as knowing me, I'll probably stick at it for a couple of days tops left to my own devices.

I'm thinking of taking up running, as it's the only sport that doesn't involve a degree of hand/eye coordination. Can anybody suggest a decent pair of trainers to get going with, and any other tips etc, as knowing me, I'll probably stick at it for a couple of days tops left to my own devices.

Get a pair of Asics Gel running shoes. They're the best in my opinion.

I tend to run along canals or Sutton Park. Tend to avoid roads because of dodging pedestrians, etc. Also the fumes from traffic stinks.

When I first started running I ran very slowly indeed, then as you got better you naturally pick up the pace. Measure out a run via www.geodistance.com , couple of miles to start with, then add to it.

I couldn't run to the end of my road this time last year, then within 6 months I ran the Brum half marathon in 1hr 42 mins.

Get a pair of Asics Gel running shoes. They're the best in my opinion.

I tend to run along canals or Sutton Park. Tend to avoid roads because of dodging pedestrians, etc. Also the fumes from traffic stinks.

When I first started running I ran very slowly indeed, then as you got better you naturally pick up the pace. Measure out a run via www.geodistance.com , couple of miles to start with, then add to it.

I couldn't run to the end of my road this time last year, then within 6 months I ran the Brum half marathon in 1hr 42 mins.

Cheers for the advice mate. I'm lucky in that there are lots of really nice places to run around here, like the 3 mile long promenade next to the beach. I tried a bit of a jog the other night, and got about 800 yards before being hopelessly out of breath and aching everywhere. What's the best way to stretch, and how long should you spend stretching before you start?

Â