Running

trimandson

Shiiiiiiiiit!

I thought I needed something to aim for to keep me motivated, so I've signed up for a relay race around the island at the end of June. It's 90 miles, split between teams of 10, so about 9-10 miles each on average. I bought myself some decentish trainers, and did my first run last night. I managed about a mile and a half of a slow jog without stopping before my legs ached, I was out of breath and had to walk home. This morning I felt like my legs had been encased in concrete.

I'm starting to think this was a bad idea. How many times a week is a slightly overweight, extremely unfit 37 year old going to have to run before it starts to hurt less.

PS any tips on stretching warming up greatly appreciated.

always going to happen, that, Mart.

The first time i ran long distnace properly was in training for the manchester 10k 5 years ago. I was fit and active at the time, doing a lot of gym work, some treadmill running, etc.

When i got on the roads, the first few times, it was so hard. I was quiite shocked at how hard i found it. I think, esentially, that my bodt wasn't used to running for prolonged periods of time without stopping. Very different fitness to gym work of football.

My advice would be to stick with it. It gets easier, eventually. The body gets used to running, and gets fitter.

After your4th or 5th run, you should start to see noticeable improvements.

I think you may have started a little bit at the deep end with that of run. Do smaller, shorter runs first, don't kill yourself. Build it up.

Your legs will stop aching in a couple of days, i'd guess :winkold:

Shiiiiiiiiit!

I thought I needed something to aim for to keep me motivated, so I've signed up for a relay race around the island at the end of June. It's 90 miles, split between teams of 10, so about 9-10 miles each on average. I bought myself some decentish trainers, and did my first run last night. I managed about a mile and a half of a slow jog without stopping before my legs ached, I was out of breath and had to walk home. This morning I felt like my legs had been encased in concrete.

I'm starting to think this was a bad idea. How many times a week is a slightly overweight, extremely unfit 37 year old going to have to run before it starts to hurt less.

recommend you do the run/walk thing. Just doing 10 miles walking is a pretty big thing, so running it which is going to take at least 1 1/2 hour (8 minute mile pace) is well something else. You need to get some stamina before you can possibly think of speed.

so I've signed up for a relay race around the island at the end of June. It's 90 miles, split between teams of 10, so about 9-10 miles each on average.

having not run before Mart, that is an ambitious timescale.

you've got 8 weeks to train before the run?

that's a biggie to start with, too.

the best thing to do would be to try and run/walk maybe twice a week, 3 or 4 days rest in between each run to let the body recover.

But it sounds like you might need a week to revover from this first one ;-)

I actually felt great this morning so amazed myself and my wife for going out for a run before work. Did just over a mile I think, then came home and walked the mile to work. Legs feel a bit stiff but not too bad.

so I've signed up for a relay race around the island at the end of June. It's 90 miles, split between teams of 10, so about 9-10 miles each on average.

having not run before Mart, that is an ambitious timescale.

you've got 8 weeks to train before the run?

that's a biggie to start with, too.

the best thing to do would be to try and run/walk maybe twice a week, 3 or 4 days rest in between each run to let the body recover.

But it sounds like you might need a week to revover from this first one ;-)

I agree, that's a short timescale, but you should make it (you won't be very fast though!). I'm (hopefully) doing an almost identical one here, also in June. You run about a 10 mile leg as a pair, but it's over some pretty hilly country (not much on roads). Done it before, but this time everything depends on how the achilles holds up - bit sore this morning after yesterday's five miles.

Mike - have you seen a physio? I got a weekly massage on my achilles and, along with some balance excercises, calf raises, ice applications and use of one of those stretchy resistance bands worked wonders.

Shiiiiiiiiit!

I was pretty much exactly like that about February (although slightly younger). Got to just over a mile before I had to stop. Now i'm running 3-4 miles at a time 3 times a week and actually enjoying it. Don't do the same run all the time as it isn't good for your overall running. However in a couple of weeks jog the same route and see just how much better you feel at the same point! That's when you know your making progress.

I'm still waiting for spring....then I'll run about a mile a day, weather permitting

we're in spring, Mate.

Or did you mean spring 2010?

In Massachusetts, it's still cold as ****. Well, actually today it's warmed up....eh, I'll run tommorow :winkold:

its got to the point now where i can no longer do road running without the fear of doing my legs serious damage, ive been playing rugby consistantly now for many years and my legs have become so strong that if they were to pound anything hard for a sustained period of time id do my self serious damage, ive already had tests for Chronic compartment syndrome because of it which came back negative thank god.

Mike - have you seen a physio? I got a weekly massage on my achilles and, along with some balance excercises, calf raises, ice applications and use of one of those stretchy resistance bands worked wonders.
You're right, of course. I have had some free advice from a physio who used to be a member of our club, and he reckoned ice is a waste of time on the achilles tendon as it is encased in a sheath of cartilege. He also advised on massage which sounds rather painful! But my main reason for not going to a physion is the cost, I simply can't afford it. I do the stretching - when I remember!

Right, Mad May kicks off next week - races on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday - a 10K, a 5K and a half-marathon. :shock:

And I am SO out of training it's scary. :cry:

Well, that was a total **** pisser. 46 minutes on the legendarily fast Rothwell 10K. Did the first 5K in 21 minutes, on track for a PB, and then the achilles pain kicked in. Just got slower until I was limping the last couple of Ks.

To rub it in, it was raining, I forgot the vaseline and got badly chafed nipples.

Looks like the 5K on Wednesday and half-marathon next Sunday are going to be a write-off at this rate.

46 minutes is still good going, well for most of us!

My aiming to run in times and distance isn't working. I dont like targets as it plays on my mind.

Im going out for a run, dont know where. Ill work out how long I was and how far I have ran when I get back but I think just going where I feel like will work better.

I managed almost 2 miles in about 16 minutes but had to walk the last 1/4 mile. Same old story I stopped for a minutes rest and as soon as I do that I can feel the burn on the outsides of my feet. I heard the rule is to a bigger size shoe, well I am a size 9 normally or at least that is what I buy but the guy measured me up in the shop and said I needed size 8 running shoes, does this sound right?

Could feel my achilles tightening up as well but I will ignore that and see if it happens next time. Must stretch properly in future.

I just need to get out every other day otherwise it isn't worthwhile.

Finally got fitted for my running shoes last week and I'm currently taking it slowly and building my fitness back up. I quit my gym in December and haven't done any real exercise since. From my brief experiences so far though, I can see the attraction of outdoor running.

Â