Running

trimandson

5 hours ago, villakram said:

I have no first hand experience with this, but I've read of people with knee issues finding Hoka's to really help, fyi.

My knees are good, but I do like Hoka. Very comfy, soft and bouncy and I don't chase time anyway, just piling on the miles.

@sne Perhaps go all in Norwegian and use roller skis?

Just now, Tegis said:

My knees are good, but I do like Hoka. Very comfy, soft and bouncy and I don't chase time anyway, just piling on the miles.

@sne Perhaps go all in Norwegian and use roller skis?

Haha no way. 

Rather be the guys watching than the one going past them :D 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Strangely, my knees are kind of iffy, but I hate running in Hoka shoes. They may be better for the knees but it feels like running in friggin custard. I quickly went back to my old, trusted but worn out pair of New Balance. 

I can recommend getting the polar OH1+.

I always struggled with the traditional chest strap falling down during exercise or obstacle race. Never quite figured out why, but I think it's just my lats activation that pushes it out of place.

I bought the optical OH1+ and it's brilliant. 

10 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Strangely, my knees are kind of iffy, but I hate running in Hoka shoes. They may be better for the knees but it feels like running in friggin custard. I quickly went back to my old, trusted but worn out pair of New Balance. 

They are spongy indeed, I used Asics Kayano before and I ran faster in those but they always broke in the fabric by the heel. Annoying.

Edited by Tegis
Smurfs are blue

A lot of the time knee pain can actually be something else, the two key ones where the pain comes from the knee is hamstrings or ITB as both being tight can pull on the knees.

I don't think anyone would believe how many pairs of trainers I have tried over the years and what makes it worse is sometime companies totally change the shoe, so for example I wore Mizuno Wave Rider for about 3 years and then they changed the shoe and I couldn't wear them anymore. Most of my running is in Adidas Solarboost currently as due to my injuries I'm just doing short easy runs but they are great for long easy runs too. I used a pair of Inov-8 X-Talon 200 for my XC half marathon at the weekend but because I haven't done much of this sort of running for a while they have left my legs in tatters as they are an aggressive XC shoe used for short XC races in the winter (very grippy for all kinds of terrain when you cant wear spikes). Previously I did all my faster workouts in (a number of) pairs of New Balance 1400s, even ran a few marathons in them (including my PB) and they are fast and aggressive but the sort of shoe you bring in slowly as batter the calves. More recently (when I can actually run semi okay) I have been using a pair of nike Fly knits (and have a pair of zoom fly 3 that I got in the sale too) which truly are comfortable fast shoes for harder workouts. I do have a pair of vaporfly as well which I got last year and are basically cheating, I ran a 35:45 10K while injured and a bit unfit in them which is like my 3rd or 4th fastest 10K time. 

Bloody annoyed - 2.5miles into my morning run and I get shooting pains down the front/inside of my left ankle.. tried to run it off but continued to hurt so walked the rest.

was on for a decent time too

ankle occasionally painful even when walking so won’t run tomorrow and will test it Friday. 

I currently run 5k in just under 24 and have been trying to get it down over lockdown.

Started running a few times a week around a month ago and first few times were around 25.

I don’t think the progress is bad, but it’s not good. Any tips for getting it down? Also, what’s an expected improvement profile? Is shaving a minute off that with a months work possible, 2 minutes maybe? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

I currently run 5k in just under 24 and have been trying to get it down over lockdown.

Started running a few times a week around a month ago and first few times were around 25.

I don’t think the progress is bad, but it’s not good. Any tips for getting it down? Also, what’s an expected improvement profile? Is shaving a minute off that with a months work possible, 2 minutes maybe? 

When the opportunity arises do a parkrun.  I find I subconsciously run a lot faster when there’s other people running alongside you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Join a running club. 

4 hours ago, LoughboroughLion said:

When I had a similar problem with 10k (trying to get a sub 50), I was fortunate enough to be booked in a relatively busy, flat, road race, in perfect May conditions. I felt really good in the morning, and decided to just go for it. I set out a fair chunk faster than normal, and tried my best to keep up the pace. I got to the last 500m and found I had enough in the tank physically / mentally to build to a sprint by the time I hit the last 100m. I got a sub 49 and was over the moon. 

I think what I'm getting at is, and I suppose this depends on the sort of runner you are, but for me it was the perfect storm. I think it'd help you to set a date for the PB attempt, flat course, and build up to it. Do a few trial runs starting way quicker than normal, see how you go. And then, hope for favourable conditions on the day! 

Edited by hogso

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

When the opportunity arises do a parkrun.  I find I subconsciously run a lot faster when there’s other people running alongside you.

This. Having people push you makes a massive difference.

This thread has got me motivated to get back into my running. I had a period approximately 2012-2015 where I loved it. Completed a couple of half marathons in what I considered decent times. Had a park run PB of 21:30, but I doubt I could even complete one these days without stopping at some point. I guess an extra 20kg baggage will do that to you.

Going to give Couch to 10k a crack to see if I can get back into it. Keep the stories coming in the meantime! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I got invited to a FB group with the goal to run 10k every day this week.

20 down, 50 to go

I would never run every day of the week. Rest/recovery days are essential, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I would never run every day of the week. Rest/recovery days are essential, IMO. 

Yep, very much so. I think one or two of them might be walking. We'll see

Need a new pair of running shoes desperately I’ve been putting it off for some time.. Been looking at some of the Brooks ones. Are there any good can anybody advise

Â