Running

trimandson

My running has been really solid recently, lots of stretching a building miles slowly. Averaging over 30k per week. Bad day at work last week, jump on the treadmill late with not much stretching and strain my calf. Any tips for recovery running, I'm desperate not to lose my progress.

14 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My running has been really solid recently, lots of stretching a building miles slowly. Averaging over 30k per week. Bad day at work last week, jump on the treadmill late with not much stretching and strain my calf. Any tips for recovery running, I'm desperate not to lose my progress.

I’ve always struggled with my calves when running (one reason I don’t do it). Heel raises and dips are really useful. Look online for other calf stretches. Also get a massage ball, or foam roller and really work them. 
Calf problem can stem from back issues, so make sure also stretching the lower back a lot. 
When lockdown is finished, get your gait checked. You may need insoles or similar when running. There was a shop in brum near snow hill station that did this.

6 hours ago, MCU said:

Yikes! What happened?

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's surprising! I've had mine a couple of years and smashed it about loads but it's barely got a scratch on it.

Did you shoot it?

Got tripped by a mate (aka Zola Budd) during a run. Garmin should make the screens a little tougher!

23 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve always struggled with my calves when running (one reason I don’t do it). Heel raises and dips are really useful. Look online for other calf stretches. Also get a massage ball, or foam roller and really work them. 
Calf problem can stem from back issues, so make sure also stretching the lower back a lot. 
When lockdown is finished, get your gait checked. You may need insoles or similar when running. There was a shop in brum near snow hill station that did this.

Cool, a couple of bits I've done. I've had gait checked and brought new trainers, it's so important and generally left me without issue for 6-9 months. Back stretching I'll definitely think about, I have a foam roller, I rarely use it 😔

• Like 1

On 18/11/2020 at 23:38, Wainy316 said:

Stop talking about running, I’m frustratingly on the shelf at the mo

Me too, gone from a normal run being 8-10 miles to struggling to run a couple of miles - injuries when they hit and not treated properly can takes months and months to sort...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MCU said:

Big deal for me yesterday, ended up breaking my sub 30 5k! Got it in 29:45 which is odd because it was only last week(?) I was asking advice in here on how to break it. I’m starting to up my weekly mileage this week so hopefully a breakthrough on my running!

Anyway, I came to ask what (if any) fitness watches you all use? I’ve had a Fitbit versa for around 2 years now but looking to upgrade to something that has GPS built in which means I can leave my phone at home! Thought it may be a good opportunity to have a nosey being Black Friday week n all. 

On a side note, just treated myself to some new ASICS shoes from the outlet store, £36.50 down from £105 🤞

Always had Garmin never wanted anything else. I'm sure other GPS watches will be fine but Garmin are the market dominators for a reason.

• Thanks 1

Do any of you use knee sleeves when running and how much do you think they help? I occasionally have pain in my left knee from doing squats (I'm working to fix this) which flares up after running and I'm wondering if sleeves would help. 

8 hours ago, kidlewis said:

I’ve never really run much before this year. I ran 250 Km in the whole of 2019 and decided for 2020 to try and hit 1,000km in a year.

I wanted to get fitter and lose weight. Certainly managed the first and the second a little bit but not as much as I hoped. 

ive run a dozen or so 10kms this year and hit my 1,000km with my first ever half marathon. Previous best was 15km so pretty please to do another 7 on top of that. 

im 5, 8 and 14 stone so not particularly lean for running but managed 5k in 22:10 and 10k in 47:30. I really wanted to break sub 22 and hit sub 47 but my love of Chinese and curry stopped that. Plus covid preventing further sports to keep me fit. 

with winter looming in my comfortable running pace 5:30 per km and 4:50 if I’m giving it everything I’ve got for a 5k. 

It was largely to lose weight. I worked out I can continue beer and Chinese but need to run 45km a week which wasn’t sustainable. It is possible to train out a bad diet but your knees are ruined as a result. 

plans are to hit 1,500 in 2021 and get really good running trainers and gear to help me further, plus do my usual January lean eating to crash a stone off me as fast as possible. 

I'm 5'7" and up to around 14 stone at the moment. I'm probably around a 22 minute 5k right now. When I was running 19 minute 5ks I was 12 and a half stone. You're similar to me with the stats so I'd say you won't get much quicker than you are now without dropping a stone or more. You get to a certain oxygen threshold and you can't really train yourself more than that. I know that if I want to go quicker again I've got to stop the bad diet and lose some weight. Good luck.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kidlewis said:

I’ve never really run much before this year. I ran 250 Km in the whole of 2019 and decided for 2020 to try and hit 1,000km in a year.

I wanted to get fitter and lose weight. Certainly managed the first and the second a little bit but not as much as I hoped. 

ive run a dozen or so 10kms this year and hit my 1,000km with my first ever half marathon. Previous best was 15km so pretty please to do another 7 on top of that. 

im 5, 8 and 14 stone so not particularly lean for running but managed 5k in 22:10 and 10k in 47:30. I really wanted to break sub 22 and hit sub 47 but my love of Chinese and curry stopped that. Plus covid preventing further sports to keep me fit. 

with winter looming in my comfortable running pace 5:30 per km and 4:50 if I’m giving it everything I’ve got for a 5k. 

It was largely to lose weight. I worked out I can continue beer and Chinese but need to run 45km a week which wasn’t sustainable. It is possible to train out a bad diet but your knees are ruined as a result. 

plans are to hit 1,500 in 2021 and get really good running trainers and gear to help me further, plus do my usual January lean eating to crash a stone off me as fast as possible. 

First of all, good work with the running you’ve done so far. I think they’re pretty good times you’ve recorded especially if you’ve not done that sort of distance/frequency before this year.

Regarding the weight loss. Like you I’m 5’8”, at the start of the year I weighed in at 13st 4lbs. I’m now oscillating between 11st and 11st 4lbs. I can now comfortably fit into a t-shirt I bought when I was 26 which at the time was too small for me (I’m now 37).

While some of this is down to the running, I’m putting the bulk of the weight loss down to a better diet and the pubs being closed. I’ve been running for years but at best, I had struggled to get past 12 stone. This year, no weekly trips to the pub, no takeaways (or hardly any...maybe 2 this year) and I’m looking at clothes between small and medium instead of medium and large.

So basically, keep up the good work with running, just keep in mind that weight loss is supposedly around 70% diet, 30% exercise :thumb:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone have a solution for Shin Splints? I am plagued by them and it really limits what I can do. 

I have found running on soft ground can really help so if you have a local park or recreation ground run there or even along roads with a decent length of flat grass verge. 

• Like 1

Â