Running

trimandson

Not sure how much longer I can carry on with the 5k programme.   My left knee is killing me and nothing I do seems to relieve it.   Cold packs,  knee supports just don't seem to bring any relief.  Was hoping it might but cuz I'm exercising regularly and it would fade away but it doesn't seem that this will be the case.  Any advice ?

6 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Not sure how much longer I can carry on with the 5k programme.   My left knee is killing me and nothing I do seems to relieve it.   Cold packs,  knee supports just don't seem to bring any relief.  Was hoping it might but cuz I'm exercising regularly and it would fade away but it doesn't seem that this will be the case.  Any advice ?

May have been covered already, but do you have the right trainers for you? Have you had any knee issues before? Are you landing hard on your heels? If it’s not too personal a question, could it be a weight issue? Have you tried taking ibuprofene or similar for the pain? Could be anything, really. 

I've got some trainers similar to Air which should take some ìmpact away.  I've had knee aches since I was a child but nothing like this.  I'm 14 stone which I don't think is overly rotund!  Ibruprofen might work,  trying them tonight.  Really need to find something which works for me cuz I don't want to give up. 

On 06/03/2021 at 23:27, dubbs said:

I've got some trainers similar to Air which should take some ìmpact away.  I've had knee aches since I was a child but nothing like this.  I'm 14 stone which I don't think is overly rotund!  Ibruprofen might work,  trying them tonight.  Really need to find something which works for me cuz I don't want to give up. 

How you getting on?

4 hours ago, MCU said:

How you getting on?

Thanks for asking.   Into week 4 of the programme.   Could barely bend my left knee after yesterday's run but after ibruprofen and cold packs its better than it was.   Still convinced its a long term thing but want to get passed this discomfort and compete the programme.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dubbs said:

Thanks for asking.   Into week 4 of the programme.   Could barely bend my left knee after yesterday's run but after ibruprofen and cold packs its better than it was.   Still convinced its a long term thing but want to get passed this discomfort and compete the programme.  

You might have cartilage/medial ligament issues. It's super easy to do this when younger jumping about and such and live a normal life. Running mechanics necessarily identify any issues like this pronto. Might be worth popping by a physio, most will give an initial eval for quasi-free. Find one that's trustworthy obviously. Or just head straight to doc to see if some imaging/ultrasound is needed.

Stop running on it if it hurts unfortunately. Pain less than yesterday and not worse the day after running ok, pain increasing stop.

From a fellow runner currently living on the injury bus :(

14 minutes ago, villakram said:

You might have cartilage/medial ligament issues. It's super easy to do this when younger jumping about and such and live a normal life. Running mechanics necessarily identify any issues like this pronto. Might be worth popping by a physio, most will give an initial eval for quasi-free. Find one that's trustworthy obviously. Or just head straight to doc to see if some imaging/ultrasound is needed.

Stop running on it if it hurts unfortunately. Pain less than yesterday and not worse the day after running ok, pain increasing stop.

From a fellow runner currently living on the injury bus :(

Cheers bud.  I'll try and get a doctors appointment to sort out an x-ray or a scan.

Guess I'll have to take your advice and give it a break for now,  even though I'm tempted to do tomorrow's run just to compare it to the last one.   My fear is I'm motivated to do it now but can't guarantee I will be once the knee is sorted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Cheers bud.  I'll try and get a doctors appointment to sort out an x-ray or a scan.

Guess I'll have to take your advice and give it a break for now,  even though I'm tempted to do tomorrow's run just to compare it to the last one.   My fear is I'm motivated to do it now but can't guarantee I will be once the knee is sorted. 

Don’t stop moving about, though. Running isn’t the only available form of excercise! Walking can be just as good for your long term health, and you really ought to be doing some form of strength work anyway. Keep using that motivation for something and good luck getting your  knee issues sorted. I can say from my experience, my knees got better the fitter I got, especially after getting serious about a gym routine in addition to running. 

• Like 1

Have you taken any sort of break since your knee started hurting?  If not, maybe trying laying off the running for a week, and see if it hurts when you start again after that. What sort of pace are you trying to go at, are you possibly trying to go too fast, too soon?

55 minutes ago, Risso said:

Have you taken any sort of break since your knee started hurting?  If not, maybe trying laying off the running for a week, and see if it hurts when you start again after that. What sort of pace are you trying to go at, are you possibly trying to go too fast, too soon?

Haven't taken a break longer than 2 days because I'm following the couch to 5k programme.  Have been thinking of taking a week off then repeating a previous run to get back into it.   As its a mixture of walking and running I don't think I'm pushing the pace too hard,  in fact you're actively encouraged to go at a gentle jog. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Worst run ever. Stomach cramps sucks. Couldn't even finish. Had to walk half the way.

Did you massively change the distance you were running,  or your routine before?

I've taken a week off to see how my knees feel.   Deciding whether to run tonight or not because they feel a lot better.  Maybe do an earlier weeks run just to give them a gentle test.

6 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Did you massively change the distance you were running,  or your routine before?

Same distance. I normally run 4 km. Hit some monkey bars in the park for 30 min, then run another 4 km. Don't mix it up too much. I dunno what went wrong. 

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Same distance. I normally run 4 km. Hit some monkey bars in the park for 30 min, then run another 4 km. Don't mix it up too much. I dunno what went wrong. 

Could be something simple like a bit of a virus. Hope you feel better soon mate 👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

I've taken a week off to see how my knees feel.   Deciding whether to run tonight or not because they feel a lot better.  Maybe do an earlier weeks run just to give them a gentle test.

I was thinking, have you tried shortening your stride? This will force your feet to plant more towards the middle or front foot, reducing the impact on your joints. Worth a shot. Makes you faster, too, as a nice bonus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I was thinking, have you tried shortening your stride? This will force your feet to plant more towards the middle or front foot, reducing the impact on your joints. Worth a shot. Makes you faster, too, as a nice bonus. 

No I've not tried that, and I'm going for a little run tomorrow.  Did a fast walk this evening.  Knees ached a tiny bit but nothing major at all.  

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

No I've not tried that, and I'm going for a little run tomorrow.  Did a fast walk this evening.  Knees ached a tiny bit but nothing major at all.  

Give it a go. That, stronger legs and the right footwear really helps the joints. 

• Like 1

Â