Running

trimandson

I'm only just getting started out running, I worked from couch to 5k and ran 5k three times this week, I'm going to start working up to 10k with the goal of entering my first race as soon as they're allowed again.

I'll be going to a running shop to get some kit this week, I need some good trainers so I'm getting my gait checked out if they'll do it with distancing going on. I see pretty much everyone running has a Garmin watch or similar...What's the point? So far I've just been setting my route on my phone and using the Runkeeper app.

Is there a benefit to using watches instead?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

HR tracking, you'll also have pace/distance metrics easily to hand (rather than trying to juggle a phone mid run).

Also having your phone jostling about your pockets during a run gets really annoying really fast.

• Like 1

Just be careful with them trying to “fix” your gait, a lot of people are prescribed these shoes and up with bad calf and Achilles injuries 3-6 months later. Can’t go far wrong with a quality neutral shoe like Nike Pegasus (which I don’t use as they are a bit narrow for me but a decent pair of shoes), Brooks Ghost, Adidas Solarboost etc

I think it’s convenience of a watch to be able to stop start easily when racing. Usually a bit more accurate for me than an app on my iPhone.

• Like 1

One of my running club mates turned 60 today. He was supposed to be running the Comrades ultramarathon (90K) in South Africa, but that was obviously cancelled, so he decided to run a modest 60K around west Leeds instead. I went out and did 10K or so of it with him, and that was quite enough - it's bloody hot and humid. First time I've turned the shower down to cold this year. 

• Like 2

On 13/06/2020 at 14:19, andyjsg said:

Can’t go far wrong with a quality neutral shoe like Nike Pegasus (which I don’t use as they are a bit narrow for me but a decent pair of shoes),

I went for exactly these, and a Garmin 245 Music, mostly so I can go out listening to music and leave the phone at home. 

I only live 4 miles from work, and there's talk of us only returning to the office 3 days a week when we eventually do, so my current intention is to run there and back. It's bloody hilly though.

I’ve not been able to get out for a run as much since becoming a dad last year and I’m really missing it, I think maybe for the mental health benefits more than anything else. 

I’ve bought a running buggy, but he cried his eyes out all the way round last time I used it so it’s put me off taking him again for a while.

On 13/06/2020 at 13:42, Davkaus said:

I'm only just getting started out running, I worked from couch to 5k and ran 5k three times this week, I'm going to start working up to 10k with the goal of entering my first race as soon as they're allowed again.

I'll be going to a running shop to get some kit this week, I need some good trainers so I'm getting my gait checked out if they'll do it with distancing going on. I see pretty much everyone running has a Garmin watch or similar...What's the point? So far I've just been setting my route on my phone and using the Runkeeper app.

I've started running again, as I decided I'd use lockdown to lose weight and get fit.  Trying to do 5K 3 times a week at the moment.  My trainers are New Balance Fresh Valance 1080v9.  Loads of cushioning which is good as I have shit knees.

• Like 1

I ran a virtual (very hilly) half marathon yesterday on the same course as the race that it replaced. Last time I ran the Course I won the race, yesterday I was an hour longer which kind of says where I am at the moment. I can run a bit now (Had a bad injury since last July) and cycling pretty well but the extra 15-20lbs is limiting me a little. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Risso said:

I've started running again, as I decided I'd use lockdown to lose weight and get fit.  Trying to do 5K 3 times a week at the moment.  My trainers are New Balance Fresh Valance 1080v9.  Loads of cushioning which is good as I have shit knees.

I haven't followed the debates about running shoes for a few years now. I've always suffered with achilles tendinitis, and thought that cushioning might help. But all the received wisdom said no, no, no - cushioned soles would actually make it worse. Anyhow, after years of failure, I bought a pair of VERY cushioned shoes (Saucony), and lo and behold, no achilles problems at all. 

I was very overweight when I started, quite a bit less now thankfully, so think I'm going to upgrade the trainers for something a bit less bouncy and a bit lighter.  I've just broken through the 30 minute barrier for the 5K, after years of avergaing around 33-34 minutes.  I think my fitness would let me go more quickly than that, but sadly not my back or knees.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

For years, my ambition was a sub-20 minute 5K and sub-40 10K. Never quite made it - got down to 20:30 and 43:20.  Won't be doing it now! 

Tommy Hughes - 59 and a 2:27 marathon last year - shows whats possible

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I was very overweight when I started, quite a bit less now thankfully, so think I'm going to upgrade the trainers for something a bit less bouncy and a bit lighter.  I've just broken through the 30 minute barrier for the 5K, after years of avergaing around 33-34 minutes.  I think my fitness would let me go more quickly than that, but sadly not my back or knees.

Asphalt or gravel? I can feel pretty comfortable about gravel, but asphalt just hammers my knees.

I've been trying to get back to running since sometime in March or so but my knees are just not working.

Knees were the reason I had to quit football and while it's not as bad as it was back then, as soon as I get into a couple of days of training they act up again.

It's the inside meniscus on both knees and on the right it's also the patellar tendon. I got knee supports but it still sucks if I try to push it.

So long high tempo walks and exercise bike for me. I try and avoid asphalt so I've pretty much done every little path or trek around town.

I found swapping a run out for a full body circuit session (with weights) helped a lot with knee and back pain from running, and generally improved my posture and form, so I felt like I was running more efficiently.

During lockdown you could try something like this (no weights required):

Obviously depends how much running you’re doing each week, and what you’re training for, but for something like a 5k or 10k this is really easy to fit into a routine and you’ll very quickly notice the benefits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Did 5km in less than half an hour for the first time earlier today. Thought I wasnt going to make it until an absolute banger came on my spotify for the last km.

Great work sharky! 

currently trying to beat 28mins - music choice really does help! 

May have to compile a 28 minute long running comp to trot along to, to get there! 

• Thanks 1

Â