Running

trimandson

I’m running just over 5 miles (8km) about 3 times a week. It’s taking me just over 48 minutes, which works out to around 9 minute 20 ish seconds a mile (or about 6 minute per km). A month previously a mile was taking me 30 seconds longer.

Under 9 minute miles is the immediate target, then go from there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2019 at 22:48, andyjsg said:

I had my first DNF during VLM today, I’ve not had the best winter/spring but decided to give it a go and basically went all a bit dizzy at 11 miles and gave up at 14 as felt proper rough, ended with me in the medical tent for an hour. Draw a line under it and Hopefully be back to racing soon. Have Chicago later in the year so will try and get a proper training block in for it.

Had my first DNF back in Feb. Nothing you can do sometimes, in my case a dodgy stomach (3 toilet stops inside 10k, including one in the woods 💩) stopped play. But next run back I took my than two hours of my best 50k time, albeit on an easier trail. I think a DNF is great motivation for better training. 

Half marathon the second weekend in June. Haven't really been running the past two months. Time to do some hefty interval training the next couple of weeks I think. 

19 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Had my first DNF back in Feb. Nothing you can do sometimes, in my case a dodgy stomach (3 toilet stops inside 10k, including one in the woods 💩) stopped play. But next run back I took my than two hours of my best 50k time, albeit on an easier trail. I think a DNF is great motivation for better training. 

I managed to bounce back super quick and get 3rd place (1st vet) at Southampton Half last weekend. Certainly has helped with confidence and to motivate me to make sure it doesn’t happen again in Chicago.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, andyjsg said:

I managed to bounce back super quick and get 3rd place (1st vet) at Southampton Half last weekend. Certainly has helped with confidence and to motivate me to make sure it doesn’t happen again in Chicago.

Yep, I've come to the conclusion that the occasional DNF is a good thing for training. 

Congrats on a great result! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/05/2019 at 08:37, Stevo985 said:

Signed up to a Wolf Run in June, 10k. So went out last night for my first training run.

**** me I'm unfit.

I've never been a great runner, but considering I used to post in here about my 10 mile runs and my 40 minute 10k's, last night was a wake up call about how far I've fallen.

Did 3 miles, but walked a lot. Took me over 35 minutes and didn't even make it to a mile before I had to walk (and I was only running a 10 minute mile until then anyway!)

Got a lot of training to do

So the training went well. I didn't have long to train but I managed to get myself up to a fairly slow 7k (44 mins) with some left in the tank.

Then I did the Wolf Run yesterday.

**** me it was hard! I mean I knew it would be hard but I didn't realise how draining it would be compared to a normal run. I think our time was about 1 hour 50. 
It was a lot of fun. But I am totally **** today.

• Like 2

Anyone else doing Two Castles this weekend? I did it last year, and it's a lovely location to start and end a run...but man was it congested, and given some of the hills and potential for hot weather, it's not exactly an easy 10k.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the gym routine thread or here, cause I am no great runner. 

I do a lot weights 3-4 times a week now and run about twice a week. 

Reason I am writing this is cause I love Garmin devices but when I entered races or normal workouts my Garmin Tri HRM  always slipped off my chest. The second I got som movement in my chest and lats it fell right off.  But I found a solution. 

Polar OH1+ optical HRM strap. Absolutely superb. So much more comfortable for running or any kind or physical activity. It goes on your arm. 

I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but I just love it. Gonna try an accuracy test next weekend with a friend, but I've done workouts I generally know the numbers given by my old tri belt and it's spot on. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Finished the Cardiff half marathon today. 2nd half but first time running non stop, no walking. Delighted. Especially given training has been so limited due to a protracted and stressful house move ( still in progress ). 2 hrs 10/1 I think so more or less bang on 10min/mile which is even more satisfying as I had no expectations. Legs were ready to drop at 11.5 miles but once I got past that, I was able to enjoy a proper burst of pace for the last few hundred yards, always feels nice to overtake plenty of people as if it's a genuine race :lol:

Mercifully lovely weather too given the unending rain of late. Mild with a nice breeze and some sun. Pub grub time now

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Legs were ready to drop at 11.5 miles but once I got past that, I was able to enjoy a proper burst of pace for the last few hundred yards, always feels nice to overtake plenty of people as if it's a genuine race :lol:

It IS a genuine race. You're always up against the bloke in front of you. 

On 06/10/2019 at 05:56, mjmooney said:

My four-year-old granddaughter did her first (1K) junior parkrun this morning. 62nd out of 66 - but she was up against 11 year olds, and she did beat her best mate! 

That's awesome.

They do a kids marathon at one of the local marathons here. In the ~20 ish weeks prior to the race the kids do 1ish mile a week (via schools etc) and then there is a 1mile race on the day after most of the full marathon has finished. Brilliant idea and really get kids involved in outside stuff.

Ever since I started running I confidently predicted that somebody would run a sub-two hour marathon in my lifetime, and was roundly pooh-poohed for it. 

My next prediction: a woman will do it in the next ten years. 

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ever since I started running I confidently predicted that somebody would run a sub-two hour marathon in my lifetime, and was roundly pooh-poohed for it. 

My next prediction: a woman will do it in the next ten years. 

I admire your optimism Mooney but some of the greatest athletes in history can't get anywhere near the nigh on twenty year old (highly suspect) 2:15 of Ms Radcliffe, but we're going to surpass it and then take close to 10% off that in the next 10 years? It's taken in excess of 50 years to take the equivalent off the Men's record.

Â