Running

trimandson

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

It's good to have a target, but I wouldn't worry about your time too much on your first one. Whatever you get will be your PB, so I'd just enjoy it and it'll make it easier to beat next week. :)

Just don't do what I did on my first one where I completely burned myself out after the first mile and was nearly sick. I was far too eager!

Enjoy it, let us know how you get on!

Thanks! Yeah the one thing I really don’t want to do is set off at world record pace before getting a world record intensity stitch 400m in and panting round after that. Will be sure to post my results!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

30 minutes is a great starting point if you have no previous timed runs under your belt. My best is around 28 minutes for 5k and I've been running regularly for 3 + years now, I'm also a drinker and smoker so there are obviously limitations. Sub 25 and you can class yourself a decent runner and anything around 20-22 you should probably be considering running clubs and proper training.

What about sub 20 after Friday beers, without clubs or proper training? 😋

Edited by fightoffyour

Didn’t get round to a park run last week, but went to a running club on Tuesday evening and ran the 6k route without too many problems, which I was pretty pleased with! Especially given it was right through the cobbles of central London, which wasn’t kind on the ankles. Hoping to go for the first park run on Saturday, will report back with a time!

• Like 3

On 06/03/2019 at 20:19, Carlos_the_third said:

Didn’t get round to a park run last week, but went to a running club on Tuesday evening and ran the 6k route without too many problems, which I was pretty pleased with! Especially given it was right through the cobbles of central London, which wasn’t kind on the ankles. Hoping to go for the first park run on Saturday, will report back with a time!

Finished in 29:15 today. Pleased with that, plus the course was really boggy, and it was also super windy, so should hopefully be able to improve on that in the future!

• Like 3

28:39 in this morning’s park run, in what can only be described as a windswept bog. 30 seconds better off than last week (77th last week to 50th this perhaps more significant), hoping to get into the 27s soon! Also signed up for my first ever 10k in April, which is something to work towards...

Edited by Carlos_the_third

Will stop spamming this thread soon... However, thought it was worth an update as I knocked nearly four mins off from last week to get my first sub 25 time (24:50)! Made a conscious effort to really push myself this week, and it was also helped by switching course to one that was primarily concrete based rather than swamp based. Pleased as punch as I’m using running as a way to force myself out of my comfort zone, so to see good results quickly is fab :)

Edited by Carlos_the_third
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Will stop spamming this thread soon...

Not at all, keep posting. I have been marshalling my local parkrun for the past few months but intend to join in again next month. 

Your point about switching courses is true. A mate of mine was a walsall arboretum parkrun regular but couldn't chip more than a few secs of her pb there. She then spent a few months doing sutton park's event which unlike the arbo, is hilly and partially on grass.

She then returned to the arbo and immediately took 30 seconds off her pb in one go, on it's concrete track.

Keep up the good work !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any VTers doing London today? 

Apart from Sir Mo, I'm monitoring our club's two best women runners who are in a mighty showdown - six seconds apart at 10k, and on course for sub-3 hours. 

I had my first DNF during VLM today, I’ve not had the best winter/spring but decided to give it a go and basically went all a bit dizzy at 11 miles and gave up at 14 as felt proper rough, ended with me in the medical tent for an hour. Draw a line under it and Hopefully be back to racing soon. Have Chicago later in the year so will try and get a proper training block in for it.

• Sad 1

Put myself forward for the ballot for next years London marathon after one of my friends who brings out my competitive side entered it. Probably a disastrous move (unless of course I’m unsuccessful) given I’ve never run more than a 10k, but there’s only one to find out...

13 minutes ago, Carlos_the_third said:

Put myself forward for the ballot for next years London marathon after one of my friends who brings out my competitive side entered it. Probably a disastrous move (unless of course I’m unsuccessful) given I’ve never run more than a 10k, but there’s only one to find out...

I've done the same, after my gf ran it this year. She didn't get anywhere near the time she wanted due to a couple of hospitalisations interrupting her training, so she wants to do another. We've both entered the ballot, and have also both entered Nottingham half.Training started for the half today, and it was brutal. I play a bit of football and badminton, so thought I'd be alright just running for 2 miles. Nope. On and off sprinting really doesn't prepare you for constant running, even for a short distance, I was absolutely knackered.

It's not until October though, which is absolutely loads of time to prepare for a half. If I don't get in to London, and it's about 25/1, I'll enter another one next spring instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I've done the same, after my gf ran it this year. She didn't get anywhere near the time she wanted due to a couple of hospitalisations interrupting her training, so she wants to do another. We've both entered the ballot, and have also both entered Nottingham half.Training started for the half today, and it was brutal. I play a bit of football and badminton, so thought I'd be alright just running for 2 miles. Nope. On and off sprinting really doesn't prepare you for constant running, even for a short distance, I was absolutely knackered.

It's not until October though, which is absolutely loads of time to prepare for a half. If I don't get in to London, and it's about 25/1, I'll enter another one next spring instead.

Had no idea the odds were that bad! I found my first run killed me (only started this year) but after that I was ok ramping it up a bit. Tempted by a half in August- anyone got an idea how much training it’d require from 10k? Not sure I’ve got the time to dedicate loads of time to it so hoping once or twice a week would be enough, but that may be optimistic.

Signed up to a Wolf Run in June, 10k. So went out last night for my first training run.

**** me I'm unfit.

I've never been a great runner, but considering I used to post in here about my 10 mile runs and my 40 minute 10k's, last night was a wake up call about how far I've fallen.

Did 3 miles, but walked a lot. Took me over 35 minutes and didn't even make it to a mile before I had to walk (and I was only running a 10 minute mile until then anyway!)

Got a lot of training to do

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Signed up to a Wolf Run in June, 10k. So went out last night for my first training run.

**** me I'm unfit.

I've never been a great runner, but considering I used to post in here about my 10 mile runs and my 40 minute 10k's, last night was a wake up call about how far I've fallen.

Did 3 miles, but walked a lot. Took me over 35 minutes and didn't even make it to a mile before I had to walk (and I was only running a 10 minute mile until then anyway!)

Got a lot of training to do

You've never been a great runner but ran 40 minute 10k's? I can only dream of a 40 minute 10k, I was delighted when I broke 50 minutes! :(

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment though, this time last year I was running 3 times a week minimum and a 10k or Half Marathon every other weekend. Now I'm just doing parkruns and my 61 year old dad has beaten me 3 weeks in a row.

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

You've never been a great runner but ran 40 minute 10k's? I can only dream of a 40 minute 10k, I was delighted when I broke 50 minutes! :(

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment though, this time last year I was running 3 times a week minimum and a 10k or Half Marathon every other weekend. Now I'm just doing parkruns and my 61 year old dad has beaten me 3 weeks in a row.

Ha, sorry if that sounded like a humble brag.

I've checked it was actually a 44 minute 10k :D My memory had exaggerated it. But that was just one race that I trained really hard for. My PB before that was around 50 so everything went right with that one!

There's a park run near me, considering signing up and giving it a go

• Like 1

Â