Running

trimandson

41 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Anyone have a solution for Shin Splints? I am plagued by them and it really limits what I can do. 

I struggled with shin splints and found out it was because I was running too much too soon and probably going too fast. Also check your foot strike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to buy new shoes and mainly looking for something that is comfortable rather than fast. Have a bum knee so will be jogging rather than running for the most part.

Want them to be well cushioned, comfortable and light-ish preferably. Not looking to spend a massive amount on them but doesn't need to be cheap either.

So far I've zeroed in on Hoka one one Clifton 7, Hoka Clifton 6, Saucony Triumph 18, Asics gel Nimbus 23 or Salming Greyhound as a budget option (but I don't want white or baby blue shoes :) )

Bit of a hassle trying shoes these days with Covid since I live in a smallish city although there is 1 proper running store.

Currently using Nike air zoom Pegasus 37 which are OK but I find my heel is moving around a bit in them.

Anyone has experience with any of those mentioned or other suggestions?

Ta!

Edit: I have kinda narrow feet.

Edited by sne

3 hours ago, sne said:

Hoka one one Clifton

Look no further for your use-case. They are a bit squishy if you want to run fast but the cushioning are a godsend for bum knees

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tegis said:

Look no further for your use-case. They are a bit squishy if you want to run fast but the cushioning are a godsend for bum knees

Thanks! 6 or 7 or does it not matter?

On 26/11/2020 at 20:21, MCU said:

Big deal for me yesterday, ended up breaking my sub 30 5k! Got it in 29:45 which is odd because it was only last week(?) I was asking advice in here on how to break it. I’m starting to up my weekly mileage this week so hopefully a breakthrough on my running!

Anyway, I came to ask what (if any) fitness watches you all use? I’ve had a Fitbit versa for around 2 years now but looking to upgrade to something that has GPS built in which means I can leave my phone at home! Thought it may be a good opportunity to have a nosey being Black Friday week n all. 

On a side note, just treated myself to some new ASICS shoes from the outlet store, £36.50 down from £105 🤞

Late to this, but wanted to say "well done" on the sub 30 minute 5K. I remember how it felt when I did the same, it was a big psychological land mark. I'd been pushing myself, but could never get much below 31 minutes. Kept at it though, and my best time is 25 mins and a few seconds now. Would like to go sub 25 minures but everything starts to hurt a bit more when I push to try to get under 5 mins per K.

As for watches, I've got a Garmin fenix 6 pro. Really good bit of kit that gives you ever metric you'll ever need.

• Like 2

Tonight was my 2nd run.  Did the warm up brisk walk then started the first jog and felt a pop at the back of my thigh.  Hurt for a bit but finished the run.  Aches a bit at the moment so hoping it's cuz my body is still getting used to it and nothing more serious. 

• Like 2

On 15/02/2021 at 21:03, dubbs said:

First run done this evening.   Boy am I out of shape!  If I can do a 5k run in 8 weeks time it'll be a miracle 🤣

I am absolutely certain you can do it. You’d be amazed at how much you can improve over the course of two months, if you’re starting from scratch. If you can do a brisk 5k walk already, I wouldn’t be surprised if you can do a  fairly comfortable 5k jog in about a month. If you can power through a couple of weeks as you get used to things, you’ll feel better very soon. Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

I am absolutely certain you can do it. You’d be amazed at how much you can improve over the course of two months, if you’re starting from scratch. If you can do a brisk 5k walk already, I wouldn’t be surprised if you can do a  fairly comfortable 5k jog in about a month. If you can power through a couple of weeks as you get used to things, you’ll feel better very soon. Good luck!

Cheers buddy.  Maybe I'm imagining it but tonight felt a bit easier than it did the first time, apart from the pop in my thigh lol

Just now, dubbs said:

Cheers buddy.  Maybe I'm imagining it but tonight felt a bit easier than it did the first time, apart from the pop in my thigh lol

Just the psychological effect of knowing you can take the pain is massive. And that can make a big difference after just the first time, so I’m not sure it’s just your imagination. Learning to know just how much pain you’re actually capable of taking is a big part of endurance training. 
I’m not a very good runner, but I’m at a level where I’m pushing my body closer to its limits than when I first started getting back into shape. The pain is actually worse now, but you experience it differently and almost welcome it. I actually say that as a word of encouragement, even if I realise it may sound daunting: Your body is capable of a lot more than you think. What you think is painful now is only scratching at the pain you can actually handle once you’ve learned it. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2021 at 20:27, dubbs said:

Tonight was my 2nd run.  Did the warm up brisk walk then started the first jog and felt a pop at the back of my thigh.  Hurt for a bit but finished the run.  Aches a bit at the moment so hoping it's cuz my body is still getting used to it and nothing more serious. 

You need to be warming up a bit better I think.  Spend a few minutes stretching and warming up before you even do the warm up walk would be my advice. There's the general "pain" of running you get when you start something like couch to 5K. The bursting lungs and the feeling that you'd rather die. This will pass as you get into it and get fitter. What you don't want are pulled muscles though, as this could stop you running all together.  Don't do too much in other words. Couch to 5K is brilliant in the way it's designed to get you from doing nowt to running 5K in 10 weeks, but there's nothing wrong in slowing it down a bit if you feel it's hurting too much. You're still much faster than you are sat on the couch at home.

But anyway, well done, stick with it. It does work, and I went from being a serial exercise and salad dodger, to running 4 times a week now. At nearly 50 I'm probably the fittest I've been in my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2021 at 18:26, Tegis said:

On 07/02/2021 at 15:06, sne said:

I'm looking to buy new shoes and mainly looking for something that is comfortable rather than fast. Have a bum knee so will be jogging rather than running for the most part.

Want them to be well cushioned, comfortable and light-ish preferably. Not looking to spend a massive amount on them but doesn't need to be cheap either.

So far I've zeroed in on Hoka one one Clifton 7, Hoka Clifton 6, Saucony Triumph 18, Asics gel Nimbus 23 or Salming Greyhound as a budget option (but I don't want white or baby blue shoes :) )

Bit of a hassle trying shoes these days with Covid since I live in a smallish city although there is 1 proper running store.

Currently using Nike air zoom Pegasus 37 which are OK but I find my heel is moving around a bit in them.

Anyone has experience with any of those mentioned or other suggestions?

Ta!

Edit: I have kinda narrow feet.

I bought some Hoka One Ones this week.  Oh my god, thanks for the recommendation, they're brilliant. So comfy, but quick with it. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Risso said:

I went from being a serial exercise and salad dodger, to running 4 times a week now. At nearly 50 I'm probably the fittest I've been in my life.

That's what I'm aiming for.  I'm mid 40's and ever since I learnt to drive 10 years ago my fitness has taken a hit.  I used to walk a few miles everyday at a good pace,  but then the convenience of the car took over. 

I've finished my 1st week of runs today.  Bit achy, I've probably pulled something in my call, but my thigh feels fine now.   You are probably right about a better warm up because all I'm doing at the moment is a 5 min brisk walk which has probably contributed to 2 out of the 3 runs this week finishing with a pull or strain. 

When I started it a few years back, I found the first two weeks hardest. I'd look forward and see that in two weeks, I'd have to run non stop for *15* minutes and I'd feel sick at the thought of it.  My suggestion is not to push yourself too hard until you can do the 5K without stopping, which you will by the end of the ten weeks, if not sooner than that. Then you can start building up your speed and reducing your times. And increasing your distances if you want to.

• Like 1

My programme is spread over 9 weeks. You're right,  I saw the "run for 15 mins" in a few weeks and feel daunted at the prospect. Hopefully as the weeks go by it'll be less of a "wall" to break through.   Really enjoying it though.   Just need to work out some better routes because I'm doing the same one each time currently. 

Not an active runner by any stretch, but just wanted to say Garmin Forerunner 245 music is pretty great for running. Right materials, very light and has all the functions you want. Battery life of about 10 days without activity. Probably half that with.

I've paired mine with Polar OH+1. It's waay better than chest band. My lats just kept moving the chest band until it fell off.

Had some production issues on my first 245, but after that it's been the best workout watch I've had.

I've tried all the watches out there, and any cardio/triathlon watch - this is it.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Thanks 1

Eh.

5:30am and I'm about to go for my first 10km run at 6am with my Ugandan friend who's helping me with my fitness for basketball.

I honestly don't think I'll make it through the 10km without stopping for air and rest, even if momentarily, but I guess we'll find out.

Â