Match Thread: Olympiacos v Villa

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Really disappointed in Villa tonight I have to say. A major European semi final and weโ€™ve been totally off it.ย 

They got the first goal with their first shot. You need some luck in football they have had plenty of it over the two legs.ย 

That's cup competitionย 

Consolidation if anything. Not good enough. But I understand why. Thereโ€™s lessons from this and some positives in our patterns of play.ย 

So much of our game is dependent on strong runners who can carry the ball up the field.

Tonight we're without Ramsey, Rogers and Zaniolo - all of whom perform that role for us.

As others have said, we're basically playing 424 every week at this stage and that's why we look so disjointed in our build-up.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Ok I think it's over now. We had a decent run and the experience will be valuable. Proud of this team!

Yeah was thinking it will be invaluable for next season going deep in this competition so we know what playing a game every 3 days is like. Doing that and maintaining our league form has been amazing with the injury list we've gotย 

• Like 2

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

Anyone who suggests we've been unlucky has the claret and blue tinted glasses glued to their head!

Olympiacos have been COMFORTABLE throughout the tie. They're playing within themselves. It's been easy and their keeper has had practically nothing to do.

We could play them ten times and not win.

Yep. My neutral polish mate said he has the impression we could play another 90 And not scoreย 

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

So much of our game is dependent on strong runners who can carry the ball up the field.

Tonight we're without Ramsey, Rogers and Zaniolo - all of whom perform that role for us.

As others have said, we're basically playing 424 every week at this stage and that's why we look so disjointed in our build-up.

Add buendia to that list who was probs plan a.

7 minutes ago, Paolopulici said:

Yes, my english is not good. I'm italian, but probably i love Aston Villa longer than you. And you should have more respect. I know, it's not easy for an idiot but you can try.....

OK I admit that some of that was a cheap shot, but in my defence, your account was created 7 days ago, around the same time we played a European semi final, so given the posts it was a reasonable, if lazy conclusion. I very much welcome anyone of any nationality.ย 

All that said, I think you may want to watch yourself when bandying around the word respect, because of the two of us, only one posted that Doug should 'go definitely to hell'. And it wasn't me. Now I'm not sure if you think that was a respectful thing to say, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because of cultural differences, but that appeared to me and I'm sure a few others as a pretty over the top thing to say about anyone, players or otherwise. And i'll also ignore the fact that you've called me an idiot twice now, without me responding in kind, cos I'm nice like that.ย ย 

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

Worst thing is, we've gone out with a whimper.ย 

Tonight we need to up the tempo, pepper them with shots and we have done the exact opposite.ย 

Yup. Its like watching the relegation teams. Again, yes, there are strong mitigating circumstances, but we haven't got anything. It's a dire watchย 

Just now, Davkaus said:

More pissed off than ever about Martinez's dubious first leg suspension.

Robbed of a fine goal and denied a pen in the first leg of this too.ย