Best Sitcom of All Time

Rds1983

21 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

One Foot In The Grave is underrated too

Great shout.

Watched them all again recently on Britbox and they are excellent. Really good writing. 

For US sitcoms, Frasier is sublime. Although I'm not referring to the latest series, as haven't seen that. 

Edited by Xela

My first post (other than intro), so I hope I do this properly, and if not, please be gentle. In no order & by no means complete:

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia 

Friday Night Dinner

30 Rock 

Community

Parks & Rec

Inbetweeners

Detectorists

Moone Boy

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The League (needs to be an FPL version)

Soap

All in the Family

Good Times

Letterkenny 

Spaced

Arrested Development

Alan Partridge

King of the Hill

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 2

Phoenix nights, "I've got a word....."

Inbetweeners, "bus rocket polishers"

Rising Damp"You've been here six months and the name is still on your soap."

Porridge "I've got something very serious to say. I don't know quite how to put this, gentlemen, but there is a thief among us"

This Country, " I only do big ones "

Only fools and horses "Uncle Albert: Is that the radio I hear, Rodney?
Rodney: No, Elton John popped in and he's rehearsing in the kitchen!"

I'll echo the below UK sitcoms. Spent most of my teens with these on repeat.

Black Books

Spaced

Coupling

2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps

Red Dwarf

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if mentioned but Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister is up there for me. 

• Like 4

On 26/04/2024 at 13:23, villarule123 said:

Inbetweeners. 

bottom of page 4 before it got a mention. when we did a best UK comedies of all time a few years back, this got the most votes IIRC.

On 29/04/2024 at 09:09, Vancvillan said:

Imagine starting a "best show" thread and your own one not getting a mention...

I can only judge this in the context of what UK shows I recommend to north americans since I live here now but:

Bankers: Peep Show, The Office - dislike these and we can't be friends

Next level down the rabbit hole: Boosh, Partridge, Dark Place, Nathan Barley, Toast, Snuff Box, 24 hour party people (I know it's a movie but special mention)

Sitcom to satire - you're old and weird: Brass Eye / The Day Today (always start with Paedogeddon)

Oh, you like Friends?: The Inbetweeners

You like Sienfeld?: Sorry, we don't have anything that shit

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.57.18 PM.png

jyVKeNQdRyoF.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

bottom of page 4 before it got a mention. when we did a best UK comedies of all time a few years back, this got the most votes IIRC.

I have this sneaking suspicion that it won’t age well. And I’m not exactly talking about the content of the jokes (although that may well prove to be the case). I kinda mean just generally.

I do like it - although I haven’t watched it in years. I actually think one of the best things it did was how it captured suburbia. I feel like I actually know where they live.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

My first post (other than intro), so I hope I do this properly, and if not, please be gentle. In no order & by no means complete:

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia 

Friday Night Dinner

30 Rock 

Community

Parks & Rec

Inbetweeners

Detectorists

Moone Boy

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The League (needs to be an FPL version)

Soap

All in the Family

Good Times

Letterkenny 

Spaced

Arrested Development

Alan Partridge

King of the Hill

Soap is a great shout

33 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I have this sneaking suspicion that it won’t age well. And I’m not exactly talking about the content of the jokes (although that may well prove to be the case). I kinda mean just generally.

I do like it - although I haven’t watched it in years. I actually think one of the best things it did was how it captured suburbia. I feel like I actually know where they live.

I'm a bit old for it to be in my personal truly beloved list although I think at the time we kind of came to the conclusion that it's peurile nature meant it had appeal to the lot of us however old we were n that. It was a very unscientific process but I remember dicking about with some word clouds and it was on the most people's lists that replied so all very self selecting and anecdotal but still. I also remeber being surprised by it's inter generational appeal as in young and old alike.

Picking just one is nigh on impossible really @Rds1983 and like any favourite album pick or favourite film it would probably change everyday depending on mood.

Some sort of Comedy programme top trumps would work though, I could definitely differentiate my favourites based on certain criteria

• Like 1

While he never broke the law, I can never get past Seinfeld being a child groomer

The idea that Seinfeld would be too "edgy" in an era in which It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia exists is so wide of the mark though. You can't even make jokes these days, says star of the world's most beige sitcom.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

While he never broke the law, I can never get past Seinfeld being a child groomer

The idea that Seinfeld would be too "edgy" in an era in which It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia exists is so wide of the mark though. You can't even make jokes these days, says star of the world's most beige sitcom.

He did a show about wanking in 1992 on US primetime television. That was fairly significant. 

59 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Lots of strong lists in this thread.

Not the winner, but just in case its not already mentioned: My Name Is Earl.

Great concept, first couple of seasons were really enjoyable. But then I recall it going kinda rogue and basically ignoring the driving force of the show (i.e. Earl and his list) and losing its way.

I remember him and Randy having to go to college for one of the tasks and Randy finding himself in a class teaching the theory of evolution.

Randy - “Did you know we were monkeys before we were people?”

Earl - “No. What were we before monkeys?”

Randy - “I don’t know. I don’t even remember being a monkey…”

• Like 1

Â