Best Sitcom of All Time

Rds1983

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

People mentioning What we do in the shadows prompted me to search and see if anyone had said Flight of the Conchords. 

Nothing appeared, so I’ll mention it.

I still remember physically creasing when “If You’re Into It” was played to Coco.

“You’re so beautiful, you could be a waitress.”

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

What's the scope of "sitcom" here?  Because I've seen Darkplace shouts, and if Darkplace is in scope, then the answer's unequivocally Darkplace.

Darkplace rules. Surely it counts as a sitcom? It's a comedy, and it is set in a situation.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, possibly because of the bluenose connections, but I always enjoyed The Detectives. Not the greatest ever by a long shot, but I guess it would make my personal top 10.

• Like 1

Another one I don't think has been mentioned much is Mr Bean. I know it won't be many people's favourite but hard to think of a sitcom that is so globally popular and recognized. 

• Like 1

Peep Show

Father Ted

UK Office

Everything else like community and parks and rec and curb and us office and 30 rock and frasier and etc are great but they're not the best. 

Father Ted is the best

Imagine starting a "best show" thread and your own one not getting a mention...

I can only judge this in the context of what UK shows I recommend to north americans since I live here now but:

Bankers: Peep Show, The Office - dislike these and we can't be friends

Next level down the rabbit hole: Boosh, Partridge, Dark Place, Nathan Barley, Toast, Snuff Box, 24 hour party people (I know it's a movie but special mention)

Sitcom to satire - you're old and weird: Brass Eye / The Day Today (always start with Paedogeddon)

Oh, you like Friends?: The Inbetweeners

You like Sienfeld?: Sorry, we don't have anything that shit

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.57.18 PM.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Imagine starting a "best show" thread and your own one not getting a mention...

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 11.57.18 PM.png

I have no clue what you are on about? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

im-sorry-dan-levy.gif

Which reminds me. 

Schitts Creek would definitely be up there for me. 

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 19:20, Mark Albrighton said:

Early Doors is definitely underrated, but those who like it, REALLY like it. 

Marion & Geoff, I’ve said before I think is incredibly underrated. 

And in the vein of one location set sitcoms, there was a sitcom called The Smoking Room. I remember enjoying that at the time, not sure how it holds up now. 

In the Richard Briers stakes, I think Ever Decreasing Circles is much better than The Good Life. I would love to have just 10% of Peter Egan’s charm in that.

Motherland is a recent good one which I don’t think has been mentioned. 

But now I’m just naming shows I like.

I remember The Smoking Room. Actually had the box set and have never met another soul who watched it or remembers it!

And hats off to whoever mentioned Flight of the Conchords - one of my most rewatched shows id say. genius stuff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

I remember The Smoking Room. Actually had the box set and have never met another soul who watched it or remembers it!

And hats off to whoever mentioned Flight of the Conchords - one of my most rewatched shows id say. genius stuff

That would also be me - top of this page. 

<nonchalantly puts on the funky funky eye patch to further enhance my cool only to lose my depth perception>

Yes, The Smoking Room is a bit of a lost little gem - if I recall correctly, haven’t watched it in years. I’m a big fan of shows/films that are set in one location, I like Peep Show so Robert Webb being in it was a factor and I also enjoy Paula Wilcox’s presence in things so it ticked a few boxes. 

Whether or not it was ever going to continue, I don’t know but of course the smoking ban coming in didn’t exactly help matters.

Â