Best Sitcom of All Time

Rds1983

Steptoe and Son needs to be acknowledged too just for the impact it had. It’s not exactly the first sitcom, but in terms of the stuff produced in Britain, it’s kinda a Year Zero sitcom.

• Like 1

I'd have What we do in the shadows on the list. Really worked for me. MASH and Cheers would be my US favourites.

I have to admit my brain went to these as the goats though:

Blackadder 

Porridge 

Only fools and horses 

Red Dwarf 

• Like 1

Don't think I've seen anyone say How I Met Your Mother? Apart from butchering the ending I thought that was very good.

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Think we're up to about 20 plus entries already.

To be fair, like a lot of these threads, it's turned from "best sitcom of all time" to "name a load of sitcoms you like"

• Like 3

What's the scope of "sitcom" here?  Because I've seen Darkplace shouts, and if Darkplace is in scope, then the answer's unequivocally Darkplace.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remembered another one - The Likely Lads (and, better still, Whatever Happened to...). Men Behaving Badly was a poor shadow. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

What's the scope of "sitcom" here?  Because I've seen Darkplace shouts, and if Darkplace is in scope, then the answer's unequivocally Darkplace.

Some don't have the longevity to be considered seriously, including GM's DP and even The Office. But for one-offs you can even throw a shoutout to Nathan Barley while we're at it.

Still anyway nothing even touches Peep Show.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

As a forgotten one-off, Mel Smith's "Colin's Sandwich" was criminally underrated. 

This thread is paradoxically easy for me, as sitcoms are a genre that I have very little interest in, so the ones I genuinely like are in (low) single figures. 

Of the programmes listed in this thread so far, the vast majority are ones I've either never watched, am totally indifferent to, or actively dislike. 

Apologies if ive missed it but surprised no-one has mentioned Curb your Enthusiasm

Not that it matters. The answer is Peep Show 

(Honourable mention to Partridge)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Some don't have the longevity to be considered seriously, including GM's DP and even The Office. But for one-offs you can even throw a shoutout to Nathan Barley while we're at it.

I was thinking more format-wise than longevity considerations, though appreciate we're getting into the realms of this thread being personal favourites vs. what would actually be considered the "landmark" sitcoms, so to speak (Darkplace falls more into parody than sitcom for me, hence I wouldn't have otherwise mentioned it.  I think for example, if you could have Darkplace as a sitcom, you could have Look Around You as well).

Being as objectionable as possible, one reasonably couldn't have a conversation about "best" sitcom without Friends being in the mix, for example, yet I don't think there's been a mention of it in the thread thus far I believe?*  It walked on the heels of Seinfeld, it's aged very poorly in places, but if we're talking cultural impact, popularity and longevity, it has to be up there.

Nathan Barley was tremendous.

*@Genie got it on page 1.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Never been able to figure out why Seinfeld is so highly regarded.  Just seems like the most bassline of generic American pish.

I've just started watching it following the conclusion of Curb and upon the recommendations of an American and a Polish friend. I've had it on the background while I casually work on the sofa in the evenings, hasn't made me laugh once yet but it's been harmless enough. And I actually find Friends funny, unlike almost any US "comedy" apart from Curb, growing up with that at the right time, but it has indeed as mentioned aged very badly in places.

Have I ever mentioned that time at Uni when I had a split screen TV so me and a mate spent a whole Saturday afternoon watching four seasons of Peep Show and playing 26 games of Pro Evo. Must've had a bout 15 stellas as well and then went out to 5th Ave on the piss waaaaay. Best day of my life to be honest.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Never been able to figure out why Seinfeld is so highly regarded.  Just seems like the most bassline of generic American pish.

Seinfeld retrospectively suffering through critiques of the now-commonplace tropes that it actually pioneered at the time has become a trope in and of itself.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

growing up with that at the right time

I think this is very much the crux of it, sitcoms by their very nature are inherently tied to the zeitgeist.

• Like 1

Â