Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

Only way we have a chance against Arsenal is to have a go at them. If we adopt a timid, slow approach it won't end well but we'll have to see what Unais game plan is. Anyway, full concentration required, even just for a point which would be huge. Although unlikely let's hope they have an off day 🙏 

• Like 2

Martinez, Konsa, Carlos, Lenglet, Moreno, Diaby, Tim, Mcginn, Tielemans, Zaniolo, Duran

Its a free hit. Id rest some players here while still putting out a competitive team 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Incoming Villa smash and grab!

1-0 Watkins '88

God imagine! That would be amazing. 

You never know they certainly aren’t some sort of invincible side. I think we’ll score, but I think we’ll also concede… would take a 2-2 draw! 

I have an Arsenal mate and he’s not confident at all, he says that he’s been burned by them too many times before with too many false dawns… sounds like us lot! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I have an Arsenal mate and he’s not confident at all, he says that he’s been burned by them too many times before with too many false dawns… sounds like us lot! 

LOL sounds like every football supporter

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

As I said earlier they're going to surrender the league challenge. So very..............Arsenaly.

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As I said earlier they're going to surrender the league. So very..............Arsenaly.

It would be the most Arsenal thing since Arsenal last Arsenal-ed

• Like 1

Not expecting anything today. The positive is Spurs lost and Man Utd drew so we are not really any worse off apart unless we get an absolute hammering which I don’t think will happen and it will be another game chalked off!

Would love us to finally win at one of these tough away games but with Arsenal challenging for the title I think they see us off comfortably unfortunately. 

3-0 Arsenal 

Really not expecting anything today but maybe, just maybe? Think there is a strong case for changing our style/formation at least today, especially if PAU doesn't play and our midfield being decimated.

Perhaps rather than our usual possession based game, we look to be a little more direct and look to hit long balls to Watkins, Bailey, Diaby, Rogers or Duran, or whoever is playing? Newcastle have been extremely effective recently employing this tactic with Gordon and Isak isolating a defender and running at them one on one. It’s not always pretty stuff but it’s  effective. The way they ran at the Spurs defenders yesterday was without fear and ruthless.

I just don’t see us winning a possession based game against them, especially in midfield, where Rice and Odegaard will be too strong for us I feel. We’ll make sloppy mistakes playing out and get easily picked off. Play more direct for this one, then this is where we may get some joy. There is talk already of Gabriel, Kiwior being rested and possibly more hopefully?

I certainly think we can score, but I’m not confident at all of keeping a clean sheet. Avoid a Man City away performance please and keep it tight.  Can we do a smash and grab? Now hoping for a 1-2 win but would be delighted with a point.

Edited by ferguson1

I'm optimistic about this, more so than yesterday anyway, not sure why though tbh maybe it's Emery being able to perform miracles and we are due one or 2, hopefully 3 this week. 

2-2, Duran and Rogers UTV 

Worried about this one: If we are as weak in the middle as we were against Lille, then I don’t fancy us. I guess Arsenal will be up for it. 

However, in the back of my mind I have this thought that there are signs that a couple of big players are playing themselves into form again: McGinn and Watkins in particular, but it’s clear that Emi is a f**king colossus atm. Just need Doig or Youri to step up and the midfield will be far stronger. 

I wouldn’t mind him starting Duran and Diaby, resting Watkins and Bailey. Give Lenglet and Cash some minutes if they are fit so Cash can be ready to start at RB for either Lille or Bournemouth. 

After yesterday’s results, I had a sneaky bit of optimism about this game but now back to thinking pragmatically. Today won’t define our season but Thursdays might, that’s the priority.