Europa Conference League Draw - Round of 16

alreadyexists

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

Hope we get the best 3 teams remaining over the next 3 rounds so we can have a nice enjoyable chilled final 😀

In a classic Villa twist, we would not turn up for an easier final 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

10 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Apart from their form since changing manager after they lost at Brighton (I think)...

They've gone from 2nd bottom to 5th after winning 90% of their games. They're in a form (albeit in an average league), and you want to avoid in form teams

They're not massively in form to be honest.  Their last 5 have been:

1-1 at home to PSV (1st, cruising the league), 3-2 loss away at Heerenveen (12th), 2-2 home draw to Bodo/Glimt (2 x 90+ min goals), 2-2 home draw to NEC (junction 6, M42) and then a 2-1 away win against Bodo/Glimt after extra time, in which they were the second best team throughout.  They still have the 6th worst defence in the league and haven't kept a clean sheet since the end of November.

Huge European name and not a walkover by any means, but there's nothing scary about them.

Union SG are the ones to avoid with a nod to Olympiakos - purely for the tough away trip.

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Union SG would be the toughest draw of the 8, the rest would be easily beatable

Owned by Brightons Tony Bloom, well used to be owned, he had to go from majority owner to minority to appease UEFA rules as both his teams were in European competitions.

So I’d be wary of facing them as imagine there’s  a style of play being developed there that mimics Albions. 

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So how many of the  teams that dropped down from the Europa made it through to the last 16?

7 by looks of it, think just Betis dropped out

Be weird to play both az and ajax so quickly after each other in the same tournament. 

Funny enough we visited Ajaxs stadium when we played az, I remember thinking this is the kind of stadium I'd love to play at in the future if we keep improving. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Apart from their form since changing manager after they lost at Brighton (I think)...

They've gone from 2nd bottom to 5th after winning 90% of their games. They're in a form (albeit in an average league), and you want to avoid in form teams

They'd try and play a bit of football, which would suit us.  We hopefully avoid some low block merchants.