Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I’m not convinced that’s the one for FFP/PSR. He’ll probably have around, what, £10m “left” in terms of book value… you’re saying we get a left back in who is fine being a rotation option but offers as much as Digne does (and immediately, as well) for £50m absolute tops?

I don’t see it. It’s such a big risk. 

I can’t remember his book value it’s back on page 53 but we could pay half the wage for a player in his early 20’s for circa 20m which would be lower than digne’s amortisation per year and get a similar output.

hes been decent this year not a world beater.

we shouldn’t be having two older player for one position you should always have an eye to the future and not be paying 6.25m per year for a squad rotation option we don’t generate the revenue for it.

its the smart financial thing to do

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

we could pay half the wage for a player in his early 20’s for circa 20m which would be lower than digne’s amortisation per year and get a similar output.

Could we? Can’t think of too many LBs from the premier league who have had a better season than him. 
20m is the price of a championship standout(if that) these days. 
I’d be perfectly happy with Digne and Moreno going into next season, with Chrisene and Sousa on loan.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thunderball said:

Jeez, where's all the money coming from? I have to assume we lose one senior player in the Summer and any arrivals will be 'astute' and off-radar signings rather than some en vogue names? Fair play to the management team however: Moreno, Pau, and Rogers have all looked excellent value and all up to the standard we require, and Diaby demonstrates we are happy to pay decent money if needed. 

Well it's more next seasons account which pose the issue for us. We get the boost of (hopefully CL football) we also have new sponsorship deals which are kicking in. I doubt Heck will be idle either, we'll be adding additional commercial partners, hopefully sell rights to the 23/24 season. 

From there we have a good base, we will move some players on to bring in revenue and lower our costs. This headroom allows us to sign some players. I feel we need to replace Lenglet and add a CDM. Other than that I don't see any squad gaps. We might move a player on and replace them 

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well it's more next seasons account which pose the issue for us. We get the boost of (hopefully CL football) we also have new sponsorship deals which are kicking in. I doubt Heck will be idle either, we'll be adding additional commercial partners, hopefully sell rights to the 23/24 season. 

From there we have a good base, we will move some players on to bring in revenue and lower our costs. This headroom allows us to sign some players. I feel we need to replace Lenglet and add a CDM. Other than that I don't see any squad gaps. We might move a player on and replace them 

Mings will replace Lenglat when he returns. Apart from DM I think you’re right in terms of there being no gaps if you consider we need 2 capable players in every position although we still need to see how new RB and reserve keeper turn out..  It’s all about improving on the quality of the squad now

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mings will replace Lenglat when he returns. Apart from DM I think you’re right in terms of there being no gaps if you consider we need 2 capable players in every position although we still need to see how new RB and reserve keeper turn out..  It’s all about improving on the quality of the squad now

People keep saying this. Mings is a completely different player to Pau and Lenglet. Mings is competition for Diego Costa. If Pau is injured for 2 months and Lenglet is not in the squad we have compromised our build up structure which is fundamental to the way we play. 

Mings is a superb defender and our poor record from set pieces defensively is because of how dominant Mings is with first contact and how weak Pau is. If you look at the two players profiles strengths and weaknesses they are completely different players. This is why I think it's critical we get another player with similar skillset as Pau and for me that's Hermoso on a free. 

With Pau, Hermoso, Mings, Costa and Konsa we have the perfect mix of player profiles for our system of one attacking FB and 3 CBs. 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

People keep saying this. Mings is a completely different player to Pau and Lenglet. Mings is competition for Diego Costa. If Pau is injured for 2 months and Lenglet is not in the squad we have compromised our build up structure which is fundamental to the way we play. 

Mings is a superb defender and our poor record from set pieces defensively is because of how dominant Mings is with first contact and how weak Pau is. If you look at the two players profiles strengths and weaknesses they are completely different players. This is why I think it's critical we get another player with similar skillset as Pau and for me that's Hermoso on a free. 

With Pau, Hermoso, Mings, Costa and Konsa we have the perfect mix of player profiles for our system of one attacking FB and 3 CBs. 

I see where you coming from but surely Mings is capable of doing whatever Lenglat can do whilst being a better defender?

Emery has shown he only uses two left footed centre halves if he is out of options.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You seems to argue that we need two new CB, one to cover for Pau and one to cover for Mings, unless we find a CB with the skill sets of both Pau and Mings.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see where you coming from but surely Mings is capable of doing whatever Lenglat can do whilst being a better defender?

Emery has shown he only uses two left footed centre halves if he is out of options.

Lenglet was very similar to Pau in terms of his fbref stats, lots of progressive passes and carries, excellent passing etc. He was in 99th percentile at those when at Barcelona, then was very high in same stats at Spurs. That's not what Mings strengths were. 

Emery played Pau Mings Konsa Cash in pre season. What he was showing was his plans were Moreno or Cash can be the attacking FB and the other 3 CBs form the back 3 in possession. 

1 minute ago, viivvaa66 said:

You seems to argue that we need two new CB, one to cover for Pau and one to cover for Mings, unless we find a CB with the skill sets of both Pau and Mings.

I listed the CBs in the post you quoted. Only 1 of the players was new, Hermoso replaces Lenglet. Chambers leaves club. We have 5 CBs as we often play games with 3 CBs on pitch and we have a stacked schedule with Europe and Domestic football. Mings needs to ease back into it also. 

There is no way we are going into next season with 4 CBs only. We had 5 this season, 2 are leaving and Mings is returning. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I do wonder if we’ll look at the Championship again. If so, who? 

Harwood-Bellis from Man City on loan at Southampton comes very highly rated, only 22 and could be an understudy for Konsa and Pau. Man City might want silly money for him though 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

(I realise that isn’t really ‘going to the championship’ though, apols)

Edited by alreadyexists

I like the look of Tyler Morton at Hull (on loan from Liverpool), bit of a CM/DM hybrid but has some decent stats this season.

14 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

Surely we land a Big signing if we get champions league !

We don't need a big signing. Monchi and Unai arent egomaniacs and will sign what's good for the team

• Like 3

Could be a transformed back 4 next season, it's where we need to spend the monies for sure. Then one more to challenge Kamara and if we're feeling greedy another attacker who offers something different.

• Like 1

Everyone is raving about Yoro as a CB but I like the look of ZeZe at Nantes. Left footed and only 18, one for the future perhaps?

Medina would also be a decent shout at LB/CBL too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, burchy said:

I like the look of Tyler Morton at Hull (on loan from Liverpool), bit of a CM/DM hybrid but has some decent stats this season.

Yeah he does look good. 

I also didn’t realise Gnonto at Leeds is still only 20, he could have a bright future and if the price was right I reckon Emery could get some good results out of him

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We don't need a big signing. Monchi and Unai arent egomaniacs and will sign what's good for the team

I don’t know what you mean by big names (and judging by the likes you got I’m guessing everyone on here wants small names for some bizarre reason), if you’re saying we won’t be signing Mbappe and Jude Bellingham then yes we won’t be. If you’re saying we’ll only be signing players from the Championship or some obscure foreign league then that won’t be happening either. I don’t know what Sevilla has to do with anything, different project, different league, different club. We are competing with 7 top teams for a top 4 place and trophies, we have to be targeting some degree of proven quality with some project players like Rogers thrown in (more likely January signings).

Last summer we signed Tielemans, Torres and Diaby + Zaniolo and Lenglet on loan with Monchi here. Diaby and Torres in particular were pretty big names, unless you disagree. Tielemans was coming off a bad season with Leicester but had previously been regarded as one of the best midfielders in the league. Zaniolo and Lenglet weren’t nobodies.

I expect similar this summer, a couple of loans/frees for well known players in Europe and a couple of big money signings depending on how much money we have to spend.

• Like 3

Â