Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

So let me get this right. FFP is to make it fairer and more of a level playing ground, and yet the team who could finish 4th has to sell one of its best players to adhere to FFP rules. Its a farce, and a restriction on being able to manage your business.

I hope Citeeh take them to court, because i think they will win, and then the league will be more open and competetive.

Back to dreaming........a top quality No 10, a la Merse

10 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

So let me get this right. FFP is to make it fairer and more of a level playing ground, and yet the team who could finish 4th has to sell one of its best players to adhere to FFP rules. Its a farce, and a restriction on being able to manage your business.

I hope Citeeh take them to court, because i think they will win, and then the league will be more open and competetive.

Be careful what you wish for...if its abolished we wouldn't be the ones to come out best!

I don't have the worries that some do about FFP.

We've got good money in for Ramsey, Archer, JBP, and I don't think any of them would've made a difference to us this season.
We've also managed to shift on, either temporarily or permanently, Nakamba, Coutinho, Dendoncker, Sanson, Davis, Traore and Wesley. 
Going back a bit - add Targett, Ings, Trez,  and AEG. I could add Chukwemeka given the fee.

We've brought in young players, and now have quite a few players out on loan in the Championship, whereas it used to feel like they were in non-league.

We have professionals looking after the club now; they know what they're doing.

Conversely, I have seen Newcastle fans moaning that they can't afford to keep Joelinton, whereas they're stuck with Matt Targett for another 2 and half years on £100k a week. We're doing OK. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Is A La Merse, the Spanish version of Paul Merson? 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Is A La Merse, the Spanish version of Paul Merson? 

The apparent Arsenal legend who said when leaving Aston Villa, that we were, “the only club he cried over leaving” the greatest club ever does tend to have that effect on anyone that comes under it’s spell. UTV!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

The apparent Arsenal legend who said when leaving Aston Villa, that we were, “the only club he cried over leaving” the greatest club ever does tend to have that effect on anyone that comes under it’s spell. UTV!!!!

😢

• Haha 1

Talk of selling Kamara is absolute madness.

When everyone is fit, he's about the fourth name on the team sheet behind Martinez, Watkins and Luiz. You don't get better by selling your best players.

We don't even have cover for him in the squad as it stands, because the highly experienced Premier League and international player that we signed to rotate in that position was woefully inadequate at the role. Tim has been given a great opportunity to step up, but was poor in the one game that he got time to impress, and obviously hasn't done enough to deserve a bigger chance. We have had to move McGinn out of his best position to plug the gap, and even that will be problematic in games where we're not going to dominate.

He's a genuine top class defensive midfielder - one of the best young players in the world at the position, who is just entering his prime years. DMs are going for over 100m for now, because of the lack of top class options available. A guy who is not only great defensively, but also athletic and brilliant on the ball is gold dust.

We watched our midfield get dominated for about a decade because we had a string of players who were not great, but could "take up an effective place in our system".

If we were so screwed by FFP that we needed to sell a key player, we wouldn't be spending significant sums of money on guys like Nedeljkovic and Rogers for the future. And if we did have to sell someone, guys like Cash, Ramsey, Digne, Tielemans that are valuable, but not necessarily in our best eleven would be far more sensible than selling a guaranteed starter when fit.

And in practical terms, no team is paying big money for a player coming off an ACL without seeing how they have recovered from it first. Kamara wouldn't even be fit enough to pass a medical this summer. No-one is coming in with bids for Mings or Buendia either.

• Like 3

I think Luiz and Kamara are key to us, them Emi, Pau, Konsa and Watkins are our spine. 

I’d like some competition for them as our levels are off when they’re not playing. 

7 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

it was never to create a level playing field or to stop teams going bust.

• Like 4

I think that we can sell Dendonker, Dinge, Coutinho and still get stronger. Yes two aren’t wanted, while Dinge is replacable. The new LB we bought could actually be already a replacement. I’m not sure it’s easy to offload the others and Chambers but let’s see what can happen. I won’t be sure about selling Cash yet, his replacement doesn’t seem as ready, but if Mings got back up to speed then it might go to a conversation. For me I’d keep him until January atleast. 
I would try and keep Watkins, Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn, Bailey and Kamara. Then we’d possibly keep Diaby, Rogers and Buendia. We could consider selling Buendia during winter if he came back stronger. 
 I think if we offloaded the 4 mentioned players it will be as if we sold a main player, while not getting really affected (I know people rate Dinge, he’s good but for our tactic Moreno is better, and cheaper). The guy who we bought should cover his position. 
Then you got Zaniolo and Lenglet leaving. All of that would help us balancing. Those two are direct replacements for Mings and Buendia. 

I think doing that while approaching best talents around like we’ve done with full backs to help rotating, I think that will give us more sustainability while progressing.

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

He was a bloody good player old Merse, I was sad when he left too (I was about 11 tbf)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

I don't have the worries that some do about FFP.

We've got good money in for Ramsey, Archer, JBP, and I don't think any of them would've made a difference to us this season.
We've also managed to shift on, either temporarily or permanently, Nakamba, Coutinho, Dendoncker, Sanson, Davis, Traore and Wesley. 
Going back a bit - add Targett, Ings, Trez,  and AEG. I could add Chukwemeka given the fee.

We've brought in young players, and now have quite a few players out on loan in the Championship, whereas it used to feel like they were in non-league.

We have professionals looking after the club now; they know what they're doing.

Conversely, I have seen Newcastle fans moaning that they can't afford to keep Joelinton, whereas they're stuck with Matt Targett for another 2 and half years on £100k a week. We're doing OK. 

I'm not that worried either as I don't think we need to do much business and thus, yes we won't be able to spend much but we don't need to either. If we get Hermosso on a free, spend what it costs for a no6 to compete with Kamara and maybe look to add another attacker. If we choose to replace Cash it's a sale and buy situation but it's not a pressing issue for the squad upgrading him.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

When everyone is fit, he's about the fourth name on the team sheet behind Martinez, Watkins and Luiz. You don't get better by selling your best players.

We don't even have cover for him in the squad as it stands, because the highly experienced Premier League and international player that we signed to rotate in that position was woefully inadequate at the role. Tim has been given a great opportunity to step up, but was poor in the one game that he got time to impress, and obviously hasn't done enough to deserve a bigger chance. We have had to move McGinn out of his best position to plug the gap, and even that will be problematic in games where we're not going to dominate.

He's a genuine top class defensive midfielder - one of the best young players in the world at the position, who is just entering his prime years. DMs are going for over 100m for now, because of the lack of top class options available. A guy who is not only great defensively, but also athletic and brilliant on the ball is gold dust.

We watched our midfield get dominated for about a decade because we had a string of players who were not great, but could "take up an effective place in our system".

If we were so screwed by FFP that we needed to sell a key player, we wouldn't be spending significant sums of money on guys like Nedeljkovic and Rogers for the future. And if we did have to sell someone, guys like Cash, Ramsey, Digne, Tielemans that are valuable, but not necessarily in our best eleven would be far more sensible than selling a guaranteed starter when fit.

And in practical terms, no team is paying big money for a player coming off an ACL without seeing how they have recovered from it first. Kamara wouldn't even be fit enough to pass a medical this summer. No-one is coming in with bids for Mings or Buendia either.

I agree with pretty much except, that Tim hasn't had enough time to make an impact in the two sub appearances he made.  You comment on Tim was unfair. 

Otherwise, absolutely have to keep our best players. I have said the same time and again.

11 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

There's talk of selling Kamara? What the hell...

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Just hypothetical about which players would make most sense from a pure FFP standpoint. I think.

11 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think that we can sell Dendonker, Dinge, Coutinho and still get stronger. Yes two aren’t wanted, while Dinge is replacable. The new LB we bought could actually be already a replacement. I’m not sure it’s easy to offload the others and Chambers but let’s see what can happen. I won’t be sure about selling Cash yet, his replacement doesn’t seem as ready, but if Mings got back up to speed then it might go to a conversation. For me I’d keep him until January atleast. 
I would try and keep Watkins, Luiz, Ramsey, McGinn, Bailey and Kamara. Then we’d possibly keep Diaby, Rogers and Buendia. We could consider selling Buendia during winter if he came back stronger. 
 I think if we offloaded the 4 mentioned players it will be as if we sold a main player, while not getting really affected (I know people rate Dinge, he’s good but for our tactic Moreno is better, and cheaper). The guy who we bought should cover his position. 
Then you got Zaniolo and Lenglet leaving. All of that would help us balancing. Those two are direct replacements for Mings and Buendia. 

I think doing that while approaching best talents around like we’ve done with full backs to help rotating, I think that will give us more sustainability while progressing.

I think Kosta (right back) is further ahead than Sousa (left back) at the moment - he's played a handful of CL matches and did pretty well against Man City.  Although my Arsenal supporting mates were disappointed that Sousa was allowed to leave as they thought that he'd be one of the youth players who would get the odd first team appearance next season (cups, etc) - I think we'll probably look to loan him at least until Christmas.  

As an aside - they also said there were some rumours about discontent at their Academy and the feeling that top prospects weren't being pushed through quickly enough - so I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see us pick up one of Sousa's ex-team-mates in the summer.

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

FFP has gotten into the heads of plenty here , everyone is trying to sell our best players Kamara , Luiz , Ramsey ect….

• Like 1

Â