Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

Just now, villa4europe said:

You can coach the finish 

You can't coach the slowing down of the run to lose the defender, he slowed down and then changed the angle too, the defender matches diabys speed and runs in a straight line, Rodgers didn't, the finish was snatched at probably nervously but the movement was everything it needed to be 

100% this. To find himself in that position was no accident 

• Like 1

He'll be up all night thinking about that chance wanting to have it back. It was the tiniest bit behind where he needed it to be but that's the way it goes. Great run to get there, as detailed above. 

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He'll be up all night thinking about that chance wanting to have it back. It was the tiniest bit behind where he needed it to be but that's the way it goes. Great run to get there, as detailed above. 

He shouldn't be, all players miss chances it's no big deal

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You can coach the finish 

You can't coach the slowing down of the run to lose the defender, he slowed down and then changed the angle too, the defender matches diabys speed and runs in a straight line, Rodgers didn't, the finish was snatched at probably nervously but the movement was everything it needed to be 

Should have scored. Send him back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Should have scored. Send him back.

Should have took a cheeky dink tee up on his right foot before volleying it in on his left followed by sprinting the length of the pitch and knee sliding in front of emi with a message under his shirt of "Messi who" 

But to be fair to him he's saving that for man utd cos he already knows how much we hate them words removed 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He shouldn't be, all players miss chances it's no big deal

Yeah it's not a big deal to us, but it probably will be to him - the debut goal is always a dream and he had the opportunity 

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

You can coach the finish 

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you definitely can!

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you definitely can!

Yeah I know you kinda can

But to me at a top level movement is natural or comes with experience, take for example Haaland and why he is the best, it's movement and anticipation that you simply can not teach you've either got it or you haven't 

As another example Ollie has a work rate that you can't teach, his dink tonight is something that based on videos he's spent loads of time on and improved on 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Should have took a cheeky dink tee up on his right foot before volleying it in on his left followed by sprinting the length of the pitch and knee sliding in front of emi with a message under his shirt of "Messi who" 

But to be fair to him he's saving that for man utd cos he already knows how much we hate them words removed 

A sentiment thst I’m pretty sure he understands and shares while heartedly!!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I know you kinda can

But to me at a top level movement is natural or comes with experience, take for example Haaland and why he is the best, it's movement and anticipation that you simply can not teach you've either got it or you haven't 

As another example Ollie has a work rate that you can't teach, his dink tonight is something that based on videos he's spent loads of time on and improved on 

Yeah agree, it can be coached but some players just have that natural understanding of space. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

You can coach the finish 

In terms of 'coachability' I'd argue it's the opposite. A natural finisher is pure talent/instinct imo. You can coach movement. Where to look. What space to occupy. You can learn to anticipate defenders movements/habits and of course you can study the movement of the greats.

Nitpick aside (sorry), I agree the movement is a fantastic sign that he knows the game despite his age. Can't wait to see more and we can unearth exactly what Emery sees in him. Exciting!

Edited by AV82

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Ollie *is* a perfect example in that he now conserves his energy and is learning all the time. He's always been able to finish but it's harder when you've been chasing shadows across the pitch for 90 minutes with your manager (Gerrard) egging you on to 'put yourself about'. Personally I think the biggest impact on his finishing has been his fatigue management. That's not to say you can't practice and improve your finishing but there's other factors at play that can be coached.

• Like 2

Obviously not much to go on but just looking at him he doesn’t look out of place. He seems sure of himself, he’s a brick shit house and he just seems comfortable already. As I’m a Villa fan I’m confident that based on circa 15 minutes he’s the real deal. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Obviously not much to go on but just looking at him he doesn’t look out of place. He seems sure of himself, he’s a brick shit house and he just seems comfortable already. As I’m a Villa fan I’m confident that based on circa 15 minutes he’s the real deal. 

He was being a nuisance pressing their defence so that's already a good start

• Like 1

tbf, if you look at his highlight reel, the chance he missed tonight, is almost identical to one he scores in his highlights.

I think he was just slightly ahead of the ball for tonight's chance, anyways, not sure why we are getting hung up on it.

he seemed busy, harassing/closing down players, trying to tackle etc, so that was good, he's a big guy, tbh its nice to have a physical specimen in the midfield/forward line, will be interesting to watch how he adapts to the physicality of the PL.

I know the champ is physical, but the PL is more physical/athletic, and its used more intelligently, so will be interesting to see how he adapts etc.

• Like 3

Â