Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I think the moan is, we are fighting for top 4 and shopping in Aldi while the likes of Brentford are shopping in Waitrose.

I just hope its FFP related.

Brentford's signings this window consist of a Spurs reject who has spent the last 2 years bouncing around from loan to loan, an 18 year old prospect from Turkey, an 18 year old prospect from Belgium (who they're loaning back because he doesn't even regularly start for his Belgian club yet) and a backup keeper.

Waitrose might be a bit of a stretch. Rogers is more likely to hit the ground running than any of those signings...

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 3

Low risk potential high reward player … we will have the inside track of his ability, character, potential etc from Harrison. Highly rated enough for Citeh to spend £4mill on rising to £8mill, yes that didn’t work out they saw his potential. Don’t understand the doubts myself. 

• Like 3

Interesting useless giving his backstory above, didn't realise he's had a few loans so clearly this is a lad who wants to get out and play rather than just play for the Man. City youth sides until he's 21/22.

I've got the feel this guy has similar trajectory to Brennan Johnson. He was linked to us a bit last summer but clearly we didn't want to pay the 50m as Spurs did.

So someone who's still a bit raw and unproven but has already shown good form in the lower leagues is worth a go at 15m I'd say.

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Low risk potential high reward player … we will have the inside track of his ability, character, potential etc from Harrison. Highly rated enough for Citeh to spend £4mill on rising to £8mill, yes that didn’t work out they saw his potential. Don’t understand the doubts myself. 

Yeah, same.

I know people want OMG CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL RIGHT NOW! but we also have to manage the club long term, ensuring we comply with FFP having already spent an absolute shedload on players.  Even if Rogers costs £15m, that's £3m/season for a 5 year deal.  Azaz went for £2m; costs basically covered - and we bring in an exciting talent who is doing well in the Championship and is only 21.

For some reason, there's a snobbiness about signing players from the Championship.  It's almost like we've entirely forgotten about Watkins and Konsa - the latter in particular has an almost identical story to Rogers, just without the Man City academy bit.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure why people laugh at this comment, is it not true? . Some have being saying they are happy finishing the season 5th or 6th. Some have agreed, we are within touching distance of 'finishing' in the top 4, so that's what we wanna push for, as I'm sure Emery does.

Where is your proof that signing Rogers will not aid this pursuit ? What is your rational to doubt the data led recruitment department ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Just so you know, about half a year minimum goes into scouting a player before a club would get to the point of bidding for them. The fact we played Boro is just incidental 

Thanks for the info, very good idea, in an ideal world where no injuries exist. 

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, same.

I know people want OMG CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL RIGHT NOW! but we also have to manage the club long term, ensuring we comply with FFP having already spent an absolute shedload on players.  Even if Rogers costs £15m, that's £3m/season for a 5 year deal.  Azaz went for £2m; costs basically covered - and we bring in an exciting talent who is doing well in the Championship and is only 21.

For some reason, there's a snobbiness about signing players from the Championship.  It's almost like we've entirely forgotten about Watkins and Konsa - the latter in particular has an almost identical story to Rogers, just without the Man City academy bit.

People seem to be forgetting the business we did in the summer, Pau, Tielemans and Diaby. Those are the players to get us top 4, not Rogers.

Also feels like someone like Zaniolo is getting a very easy ride off our fanbase. He can get away with scoring one more goal this season and Rogers will get the criticism instead if we fall down to 5th, that's a pretty strange way of looking at things when Zaniolo is vastly experienced in Italy and at european level so expectations should be far higher with him.

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Swapped Azaz for Rogers. Nice.

The azaz deal covers the money on the sheet for this year but you would need an azaz type sale each year

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pete101 said:

The azaz deal covers the money on the sheet for this year but you would need an azaz type sale each year

Rogers seems similar to Jacob Ramsey. People keep speculating if we'll sell a key player in the summer for FFP reasons with Luiz etc being suggested. Maybe Ramsey for the pure profit aspect and Rogers viewed as a replacement

• Like 1

Part of why I have reservations about this potential deal is because it's not just about the merits of the purchase but the opportunity costs.  The money we spend on Rogers is money that won't be available elsewhere. It could be the difference in going for a very good 35M player or a top class 50M one in the summer.

I'm also a bit stumped as to why we completed the Azaz sale before getting the Rogers deal across the line. That's just negotiation 101, no? -  especially if Rogers has been in our sights for some time, as several here are claiming.

Edited by nepal_villan

58 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Rogers proved against Chelsea that he could create something from nothing against a PL team, and that was after we had already identified him as a transfer target.

We need someone like that, and £15m for a 21-year old English player (and apparent Villa fan) is a bargain.

Diaby has proved that spending big money on players doesn’t guarantee instant results.

Rogers is the sort of signing we would look at enviably if another PL team signed him.

Actually he was quite the hit instantly. 3 goals and 5 assists in the first 10 league games, always looked dangerous.

Problem is he fell off a cliff after that for whatever reason.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rogers seems similar to Jacob Ramsey. People keep speculating if we'll sell a key player in the summer for FFP reasons with Luiz etc being suggested. Maybe Ramsey for the pure profit aspect and Rogers viewed as a replacement

I could be wrong but I see him as Ollie's understudy, really like Duran but I can see him leaving in the summer 

Â