⭐️ Significant people YOU’VE heard of who have done significant things but most people might not have heard of and should arguably be more famous than they actually are 1874

Spoony

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think he's that bloke that stole Freddie Mercury's teeth

Now that might be funny but I'm buggered  if I'm going to Google who he is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

There was a John Carew executed for the regicide of Charles I a couple of hundred years earlier too.  They must rise every now and then to do something historic.

That Newcastle penalty was historic...ally shite.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Right so this kinda fits in here I think. John Alexander Brodie, he was a civil engineer who led the design team of the first Mersey tunnel (and other local engineering projects). Now that fact alone gets him a blue plaque outside the house he used to live in. Many years later around 1987 I too lived in that house but that is by the by but it is how I came to learn this little factoid

The Mersey Tunnel has obviously affected millions upon millions of peoples lives over the years in a positive way and that is what he's famous for, there's even a road named after him yards from my flat.

This lesser known fact has had a positive effect on many more people over time and is supposedly the achievement he was most proud of.

He was an amateur football referee...

Hide contents

...he invented the goal net

Makes you wonder why he's most famous for that other thing

Now this is the kind of content I wanted. That’s excellent knowledge. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, not massively significant, but I've always loved the strange story of how Spencer Silver and Art Fry accidentally invented the post it note.

https://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/11/post-it-notes-were-invented-by-accident/

There were actually two accidents that lead to the invention of the Post-It note.  The first was by Spencer Silver.  According to the former Vice President of Technical Operations for 3M Geoff Nicholson (now retired), in 1968, Silver was working at 3M trying to create super strong adhesives for use in the aerospace industry in building planes

• Like 1

The guy that came up with the phrase "Sh*t happens", which sold a gazillion t-shirts and bumper stickers.

... can't quite remember his name but he was running across the width of the USA at the time in protest about his girlfriend Jenny, or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

There was a John Carew executed for the regicide of Charles I a couple of hundred years earlier too.  They must rise every now and then to do something historic.

In Limerick there is an estate called John Carew Park which always confused me when it made the news

Outside a small portion of football fans not many people remember Douglas Ellis. The man who single handedly invented the bicycle kick but allowed some Brazilians to take the credit

Neil Baldwin. What a top, top man.

If you've never watched the film then put it on your list. You won't be disappointed.

spacer.png

PS; Surely this wins the award for the longest forum thread title in the world.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 1

Helena Goldbridge from Kinver Edge is my person who should be more famous than they should be, but aren't.

In 1712 she identified that clusters of certain rare minerals occured within certain places due to the geological events occuring over the course of history.  This meant that the search for these minerals could be consolidated to specific regions, whereas before her, searching was much more random, and therefore unsuccessful.

It may seem simple now, but she used available geological records to identify where tectonic plate movement had moved from & to, to really focus the searches and open up new mines, allowing for deeper and more successful extraction.  

The results of her discoveries resulted in what were small mining companies, being able to grow into some of the largest businesses in the world at the time, of which some of the benefactors we still know about today (such as the Musk family).  

It could be argued without her, we wouldn't have made those links, and we'd be much further behind in our technological advancement and some of the world's richest people wouldn't be the world's richest people.

Another thing to maybe consider, is the sheer exploitation her discovery has resulted in and number of deaths from poor health and safety.

It's estimated that since Helena Goldbridge, there have been over 1.2 million deaths from mining related industries, which would (weirdly) make her one of the most lethal people ever to have lived.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

PS; Surely this wins the award for the longest forum thread title in the world.

that’s what happens when you leave it to the fans and not the thread designer 

• Haha 4

Jeremy Bentham. Was born in 1748 and was a leading theorist in Anglo-American philosophy of law, and a political radical whose ideas influenced the development of welfarism.

He advocated individual and economic freedoms, the separation of church and state, freedom of expression, equal rights for women, the right to divorce, and (in an unpublished essay) the decriminalising of homosexual acts. He called for the abolition of slavery, capital punishment, and physical punishment, including that of children. He has also become known as an early advocate of animal rights.

Hundreds of years ahead of his time and did a lot of good.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 3

I was just trying to think of a significant person that I've heard of who has done significant things but most people might not have heard of and should arguably be more famous than they actually are, but I couldn't really think of anyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Surprised nobody has posted William McGregor yet.

He did some football stuff or something. 

Might be more relevant to other teams sites because we all know

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Might be more relevant to other teams sites because we all know

Agree he'd be fairly well known to Villa fan's, but most fan's in this country wouldn't gave a clue, let alone those overseas. 

• Like 1

Â