⭐️ Significant people YOU’VE heard of who have done significant things but most people might not have heard of and should arguably be more famous than they actually are 1874

Spoony

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Wiltold Pilecki

A Polish resistance fighter in WW2. He allowed himself to be captured and sent to a concentration camp.  Using smuggled radio parts to build a radio he reported what he saw and named those responsible.  He managed to escape and went back to fighting with the Polish resistance. 

Reading his story , he was one incredibly brave man  .... later arrested and tortured by the communists in Poland and executed

I suspect he's widely known in Poland tbf , just the rest of the world where he isn't  ..bit like someone like Douglas Bader  is probably only famous / significant  in the UK ? 

The Brummy Button Salesman at Waterloo.  

This is someone who is well documented in history but I think is still unidentified. 

During the heat of the battle Wellington spotted a crucial problem in his formation.  He turned to his last remaining messenger who immediately took a bullet. Wellington spotted a civilian on a horse nearby. He called him over. The man presented Wellington with a business card. He was a button salesman from a Birmingham firm. 

Wellington asked him to take a message for him.  The man took the message, delivered it and was never seen again.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Like 1

I think the title thread is wrong.  

The people listed have not necessarily done significant things. Some have done inignificant things that have had significant results.  

For example -  Stanislav Petrov

What he didn't do prevented a significant event. 

You're welcome. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is someone who is well documented in history but I think is still unidentified. 

During the heat of the battle Wellington spotted a crucial problem in his formation.  He turned to his last remaining messenger who immediately took a bullet. Wellington spotted a civilian on a horse nearby. He called him over. The man presented Wellington with a business card. He was a button salesman from a Birmingham firm. 

Wellington asked him to take a message for him.  The man took the message, delivered it and was never seen again.  

I just looked this up again.  The salesman was from a firm in the Jewellery Quarter called "Blinks & Blinks"

Has anyone heard of them?  

36 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

the source of this tale seems to be Benjamin Robert Haydon , who heard it from John Carew ( not THE John Carew) 

But every now and then he saw the Cob-man riding about in the smoke, and at last having nobody to send to a regiment, he again beckoned to this little fellow, and told him to go up to that regiment and order them to charge, giving him some mark of authority the colonel would recognise. Away he galloped, and in a few minutes the Duke saw his order obeyed. The Duke asked him for his card, and found in the evening, when the card fell out of his sash, that he lived at Birmingham, and was a button manufacturer!

When at Birmingham the Duke inquired of the firm and found he was their traveller, and then in Ireland. When he returned, at the Duke’s request he called on him in London. The Duke was happy to see him and said he had a vacancy in the Mint of 800l a-year, where accounts were wanted. The little Cob-man said it would be exactly the thing and the Duke installed him.

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I think the title thread is wrong.  

The people listed have not necessarily done significant things. Some have done inignificant things that have had significant results.  

For example -  Stanislav Petrov

What he didn't do prevented a significant event. 

You're welcome. 

Doesn’t the significant result make the act or omission itself significant? 

54 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Doesn’t the significant result make the act or omission itself significant? 

1. Is a failure to do something an action  or a lack of action. 

2. I was only joking. 

3. I am an ex- civil servant.  In the service a conscious decision to do nothing is referred to as "proactive non-intervention".  This distinguishes it from truly doing nothing. 

• Like 1

Perhaps we should have a corresponding thread? 

Insignificant People Who Are Well Known (But Shouldn't Be). 

I'd start with Rylan. 

• Haha 2

Right so this kinda fits in here I think. John Alexander Brodie, he was a civil engineer who led the design team of the first Mersey tunnel (and other local engineering projects). Now that fact alone gets him a blue plaque outside the house he used to live in. Many years later around 1987 I too lived in that house but that is by the by but it is how I came to learn this little factoid

The Mersey Tunnel has obviously affected millions upon millions of peoples lives over the years in a positive way and that is what he's famous for, there's even a road named after him yards from my flat.

This lesser known fact has had a positive effect on many more people over time and is supposedly the achievement he was most proud of.

He was an amateur football referee...

Spoiler

...he invented the goal net

Makes you wonder why he's most famous for that other thing

• Like 1

Â