Ratings & Reactions: Everton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/01/24 at 23:59

I’m not one of those who votes “poor” for the ref every single week, but he was **** useless, crap ref, can’t control a game, let Everton get in his head.

We might regret getting nothing from that game. Think it was there to be won.

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

The 1 point keeps us ahead of Spurs after this round.  That’s how we need to look at things here on out. 

Not for long the way we are playing.

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

We never win against physical teams when the ref allows them to kick the hell out of our players all game.  So frustrating to watch shit refereeing week after week. 

might be time, to look at that, because its not going away....and teams will only increase the opportunity to stop us...The whinging about teams who stop us, is not helpful...its just denial, of what we are short of.

At times we force feed confidence in to the opposition, by the way we play....its so, so slow and laboured, with off the ball players reluctant to run.

Its no good us moaning about shithouse tactics, if its within the laws of the game.....its like Steve Davis, getting pelters for his safety play, its rubbish.

We are like a child, that only wants to eat sweets, don't want our dinner.....we get yellows, because we foul, in leiu of skilled tackling....The wolf is being kept from the door, by the league position, but some of the games are sub standard.

We have done so well, in terms of results, but we are being found out, for our shortfalls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tarkowski should have had a straight red for his first tackle on Diaby, he got the ball, because Diaby was fouled before and then followed straight threw Diaby, he never even got a card for it, absolutely disgusting from the officials. 

• Like 3

Looks like  turgid, Dyche anti-football wins the day. 

Still, we’re in the hunt for top 4 and we’re looking upwards… Everton can only look downwards… 

Edited by ben1505

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I voted unai average, but was tempted to give the manager a poor rating today, as he hasnt managed to work out how to play against the'low block'. It's getting to be a bit of a unwelcome trend and opposition are seeing it as a reliable way of getting points from us. 

I think we just don’t have the personnel to unpick the low block atm. Virtually all of our attacking players with possible exception of Tielemans are much more comfortable playing on the counter

Once Cash and Tielemans came on we started to break them down plenty and should have scored but just couldn't quite get it right.

We lack the fluency of the teams above us. Too many slightly under or over hit passes and clunky first touches to take hurt teams.

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Yep. That’s what a said. They only got a single yellow card……somehow. Tarkowski should have had three or four on his own.

Completely misread your comment, sorry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

might be time, to look at that, because its not going away....and teams will only increase the opportunity to stop us...The whinging about teams who stop us, is not helpful...its just denial, of what we are short of.

At times we force feed confidence in to the opposition, by the way we play....its so, so slow and laboured, with off the ball players reluctant to run.

Its no good us moaning about shithouse tactics, if its within the laws of the game.....its like Steve Davis, getting pelters for his safety play, its rubbish.

We are like a child, that only wants to eat sweets, don't want our dinner.....we get yellows, because we foul, in leiu of skilled tackling....The wolf is being kept from the door, by the league position, but some of the games are sub standard.

We have done so well, in terms of results, but we are being found out, for our shortfalls.

I actually don’t think the shithouse tactics got to us *too* much. We stood up for ourselves reasonably well. Ultimately the ref should be doing his job, but I don’t think it’s why we lost.

The bigger issue is we can’t find a way through this type of stacked defence. We look so so so much better against teams that want to play football further up the pitch.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Found out, come on!

Everton were dreadful going forward today and we struggled because we were poor in the final third, made the wrong decisions and were sloppy.

I don’t agree at all that we struggle against teams that play dinosaur football, we usually spank them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suspect @TRO would've too 😉  To be fair considering their rough house tactics and physicality I thought we held our corner quite well and refused to get bullied.

errrrrrr....There's  a difference between wanting to watch, that kind of play, and dealing with it......We were our own worst enemies, trying to deal with it....its no good blaming opponents, thats just tepid.

If you think we can come out, and play swashbuckling football, without teams trying to stop us.....you are naive.

We have to be able to deal with it....and we didn't.

Welcome to the real world of football.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

Rated Emery poor, but realistically the players on the pitch still should have won that.

Thought he could have brought Zaniolo on earlier, and not sure Bailey coming off for Duran was the right call. But he's earned the right to do what he wants.

Other than what we did, the ref was atrocious and Everton are complete scum. With a ref that booked when he should have, Everton would have been down to 10, and their career threatening tackles wouldn't have happened.

Annoying that if Diaby goes down we get a penalty from VAR, but because he stays on his feet we don't get one.  Either they need to stop giving those dives or they need to give them when a player stays on his feet. 

A bad watch, and a disappointing result, but Everton have been in a good run of form so taking a step back a draw away to them isn't a bad result.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smg said:

Yet we moan about Salah and Kane when they do it .”Dark arts” cheat you mean ?

I don't think it would have been cheating because Tarkowski clearly kept on fouling him - Kane or Salah would have made it much more obvious what had happened and would have eventually made sure that the referee had no choice but to award a yellow card.  Cheating would be more diving into the player to "win" a free-kick when the defender isn't otherwise commiting a foul.  I think there's a gap between Ollie sometimes being too honest and cheating.

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Personally I thought Duran was very good when he came on. Caused all sorts of problems and was very unlucky not to score. 

That little flick with his left foot was quite nice. Shame it didn’t find it’s way to the back of the net.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I actually don’t think the shithouse tactics got to us *too* much. We stood up for ourselves reasonably well. Ultimately the ref should be doing his job, but I don’t think it’s why we lost.

The bigger issue is we can’t find a way through this type of stacked defence. We look so so so much better against teams that want to play football further up the pitch.

yes we do.

But we struggle, with the press, to create anything, against teams intent to stop us....every time we get the ball, we are challenged, and too many times the opponent disrupts our rhythym...it then becomes scrappy.

This happens more often away from home.....and Diaby and Bailey look too lightweight, away from home....I thought Ollie was poor too, absolutely no threat.

No threat, is the really disturbing bit.....He has to make threats, of his own.

Edited by TRO

I think a good point when everything is considered. David Coote has been very poor in our games.  I think there is a pattern emerging with him after the Brentford brawl,  he allows a lot of dangerous play and aggression without punishment. Yet penalises players for the minutest of infringements.Always a melee too. Players in big crowds and gangs - while he stands back and looks lost. Failure to control the players is on him too. Hopefully the club respectfully asks PGMOL for him to be removed from our remaining games this season.

Edited by Villa_Vids

24 minutes ago, AV82 said:

We’re desperately missing JJ/Youri/Buendia in between the lines, evidently as Tielemans made a big difference once he came on.

On top of that we need much, much more from Watkins and Diaby.

Agree but… I have sympathy for Ollie. He’s kind of been starved of quality service for a while and just had to mostly put a shift in, in every game….

The players visibly need a refresh and boost… we don’t look like the same side that beat City, that put in impressive performances and got big results beforehand like vs West Ham & Brighton… plus, we’re much better at home.

I’m confident we’ll get back to that level (no side can keep that level of constant consistency anyway) but a lift is required…

we really had tough luck with injuries and knocks ever since the season began… and few people outside the fanbase are aware of it acknowledge it…

there’s more to come from these players and that gives me hope and optimism… hopefully a bit of rest and coaching will make all the difference…

The good thing is… while being relatively poor (compared to the standard we have/had set) we’ve not gone on a run of losses and have managed to eke out results/points to keep us going…

We will be back stronger, I am sure of it. Unai will sort it, he is the man.

lots of people blaming Everton and the ref for this one.  yeah ref was bad and Everton are lacking quality to play good football but that's not why this game was so bad.  We were dreadful today apart from 2 or 3 players,  konsa, boubie, martinez, moreno.  First touch was awful across the board.  watkins couldn't trap a thing.  by the time we had the ball under control we'd had 3 or 4 touches.  Carlos was poor at holding the line and playing across the back.  lengelet's passing was so bad.  slightly behind players with simple 20 yard passes and hit and hope with longer balls.  just poor quality when trying to pass the ball around particularly in the final third.  awful

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

The ref was really weak and that allowed a 'Dyche' scenario, which is play the man not the ball and make it a broken stop start game.

I enjoyed some periods of our play very much, but poor refereeing and VAR ruined the flow of the game.

However, I'll happily take a point with no bad injuries and move on. (Tarkowski's tackles were reminiscent of Ben Mee, so no serious injuries is a bonus)

I didn't comment on the match thread during the game because many of the posts were toxic.

Try and enjoy being a Villa supporter, win, lose or draw for a change because we're in a good place.

You will support Villa for many years so try to enjoy it.

Indeed.  Moaning about us being **** for drawing 0-0 away at Everton having dominated possesion, created the better chances and being 3rd in the table is madness.  After the first 15 minutes we controlled the ball pretty well and created multiple opportunities without ever quite creating a clear one.  But we have a clear tactical approach that we are following more often or not.  I think too many people have forgotten all those seasons when it looked like none of our players had any idea what they were supposed to be doing.

• Like 1