Match Thread: FAC3: Middlebrough v Villa

Yelling and remonstrating at the ref is just stupid.  Being frustarted with the ref is normal.  You just need to be smarter.  Lessons for players.

Never jump and down and yell and wave arms about, or kick the ball.  Walk calmely by the ref and without facing him, say:

"When the match is over, and you watch the tape back.  You can send your apology by email, that will be fine"  OR

"you are going to have to tighten up a bit or some of these lads will lose control."  OR

"as long as you're consistent calling nothing, that will be fine, we can adjust to rugby rules."   OR

"When the match assessor points out that you lost control by not calling blatant kicks (or holds, or whatever) think of this one, this is what he means."

"Your AR is letting you down, not giving you help on that one you couldn't see from your angle."

If you want to dissent loudly and yell it.  then yell at your teammates - not the ref.

"It's alright boys, if he won't call fouls like that, you know what we can get away with now."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Micah Richards and Stewart Downing, both former Villa players, but the BBC captions them as ex-Manchester City and ex-Liverpool. 

Ex Man United star Dion Dublin on commentary. Maybe they're trying to hide their institutional bias from the Aston Villa deep state. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Think Duran just gets bored with this style of football. He wants proper full on warfare 

100% the impression I get. Can't blame him

4 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

We are a really well coached side. We are not an exciting side. We don't take shots nearly enough. Our only real threat is Bailey, and if he isn't doing it no one else will. I understand why neutrals don't understand why we are 2nd in the league when we play like this. 

This is true when we play teams who play a low block and have no intention of pressing. 

It’s not true at all when we play more footballing teams

1 minute ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Half arsed BBC punditry is even worse than the game. 

I think it’s hard to get excited watching that. Dublin is obviously boring to listen to but my impressed he hasn’t fell asleep. 

The trouble we now have is we've shown, if you come and go toe to toe with us, we can batter you - Brighton, West Ham & Man City the obvious examples. 

So teams are now sticking everyone behind the ball, letting us play at 1mph and then hoping to scab whatever they can - Sheff Utd the prime example. 

I dunno what we do, but raising the tempo slightly would be a start. 

• Like 1

Just now, srsmithusa said:

Yelling and remonstrating at the ref is just stupid.  Being frustarted with the ref is normal.  You just need to be smarter.  Lessons for players.

Never jump and down and yell and wave arms about, or kick the ball.  Walk calmely by the ref and without facing him, say:

"When the match is over, and you watch the tape back.  You can send your apology by email, that will be fine"  OR

"you are going to have to tighten up a bit or some of these lads will lose control."  OR

"as long as you're consistent calling nothing, that will be fine, we can adjust to rugby rules."   OR

"When the match assessor points out that you lost control by not calling blatant kicks (or holds, or whatever) think of this one, this is what he means."

"Your AR is letting you down, not giving you help on that one you couldn't see from your angle."

If you want to dissent loudly and yell it.  then yell at your teammates - not the ref.

"It's alright boys, if he won't call fouls like that, you know what we can get away with now."

Most of them are still yellows with most refs.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

This is true when we play teams who play a low block and have no intention of pressing. 

It’s not true at all when we play more footballing teams

Yes, I kind of agree but unfortunately more and more teams are playing the low block against us. 

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

The trouble we now have is we've shown, if you come and go toe to toe with us, we can batter you - Brighton, West Ham & Man City the obvious examples. 

So teams are now sticking everyone behind the ball, letting us play at 1mph and then hoping to scab whatever they can - Sheff Utd the prime example. 

I dunno what we do, but raising the tempo slightly would be a start. 

We would tear this lot apart if we raised the tempo.

• Like 2

Some say low block....sitting back.

You can but for then past 4 or 5 games we haven't looked sharp....or have that cutting edge.

Teams are not sitting back...or low block....they are just saying OK....we know you aren't going to move the ball quick....pull us around...we will just sit here and wait.

We look slow...lack of movement in the middle kills us....kamara and dendonker especially....Luiz is also guilty of this lately.

Need to really up the temp....we aren't missing  X player...or need X player.

Even with those we would still play the same.

Movement....and tempo.

Edited by Bazmonkey
  • Like 1

we need a new RB, but i wonder if we also need a creative no.10, we just dont have the vision/guile to break down teams.

maybe Tielemans when fit, and eventually Buendia might help, i dunno tho.

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The slowness of the passing is killing us  . Seems pointless against a low block . I get it against a team not sitting but they arent going to give an inch here. Its obvious. 

E7E0545E-5274-4457-A706-229463BBDFFB.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can we get one thing straight? If we are failing against the low block, it’s likely a coaching oversight. Emery needs to sort this. He’s not perfect. He’s used an antibiotic that has faced growing resistance. We need to change up the antibiotic at times. 

• Like 2

Just now, MaVilla said:

we need a new RB, but i wonder if we also need a creative no.10, we just dont have the vision/guile to break down teams.

maybe Tielemans when fit, and eventually Buendia might help, i dunno tho.

You've just named 2 there, so no we don't need a number 10.