• Durán
    • Bailey (McGinn 70)
    • Ramsey (Tielemans 70)
    • Zaniolo (Diaby 78)
    • Digne (Moreno 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/12/23 at 23:59

Coasted a lot of the game , guess European football lacks the intensity of the Prem that some players need.

should be alright in Mostar for the required point even if he swaps out a few for match fitness 

when do we find out who we play next ? 

Edited by tonyh29

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Frustrating win! Thought the last 10 minutes we should have upped the tempo. Should have got the third - Bailey unlucky. Moreno grew into the game - great to see him back as he offers so much down the left. Great for Ramsey to get 25 minutes too!

Better to make sure that we got the 3 points and basically have everything in our hands than give a silly goal away on the break and end up with the group out of our control.  Were unlucky not to get a third but the main job was to win the match.

• Like 2

Feels like we have seen this type of game many times in cup games at home. Slow build up. Frustrating for the fans. Then a far better second half withiut ever being totally convincing. Its a tactic from Emery rather than the players i am sure. Its preserving energy .  Some lovely patterns of play at times to get the fullback in. Gutted for Bailey and olsen as that would have been a great long ball goal.Moreno will be a huge threat as he gets more games in his legs. Great to see JJ back for more minutes. Again as he gets his sharpness back he will cause havoc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So do i.

I thought AZ fans were going to be the animals but legia fans seem just trouble making scum

Szmall Heatchzy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Better 2nd half and deserved to win by more. Ref was v poor, should have been a lot more yellows for late challenges as Legia tired and started scything. Given how soft and ridiculous some of his earlier yellows were (e.g. Doug and Tielemans) some of the ones he let go with nothing were  ridiculous.

We can still rest key players in the last game. only v limited scenario where we don't finish top now. 

Much better second half - I’m thinking of setting this up a a standard paragraph so I don’t have to type it every time!

Another European win for our wily manager. Pity we gifted them a stupid goal but I think we have enough to top the group now.

Superb return for Moreno. MOTM for me. And how fantastic to have Digne to bring on when he needed resting. We have not been so well served at LB for yonks

No idea how we ended up with 4 yellows, same as them. I thought there was some seriously dangerous play from them tonight and the ref did nothing to constrain it.

PS why are the TNT commentators so obsessed with us not getting the third goal? It’s laughable.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Haha 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

So do i.

I thought AZ fans were going to be the animals but legia fans seem just trouble making scum

It’s the players, too. There’s anti-football and then there’s just thuggery. We all noted the irony of Tielemans getting booked for jumping when several of their players were running around clotheslining our players or leaving a foot in when a player was already past them. I know they needed marginal gains but they were out to injure someone today 

6 minutes ago, Powehi said:

It may sound like copium but actually not being in a situation where we can 'play the kids' in Bosnia might be for the best. Playing a second string and getting Stevenaged with a 4-1 defeat or something could just halt the momentum. Whereas playing a mixed side and resting a few, then getting a 1-0 or 1-1 keeps us on an even keel I reckon.

I'm one of Olsen's biggest critics on here but he did OK tonight. Great to see Moreno back and in the goals. We did well against a side who are no mugs. Top of the group, one more competitive game (hopefully) then we're done with this competition until March. A good night's work I reckon.

I didn’t think that we could be caught now as if we’re caught on points we have a better head to head record against Legia or am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Olsen also with somw excellent long kicking tonight. He seems to be abit shaky with short passing but long kicks he is superb

Nah it was a fluke he just hoofed it! If Emi did it, it would have been intentional.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Technically we would still go through on goal difference even if we lost the last match by 1 goal and Warsaw only won by 1 goal wouldn’t we?

Our head to head with Warsaw is equal and we have a plus 3 goal difference over them.

Think it goes to goals scored if goal difference is the same and they scored more against us than we did against them.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I didn’t think that we could be caught now as if we’re caught on points we have a better head to head record against Legia or am I missing something?

I don't think that away goals count in the head-to-head.  So I think we can lose 1-0 in the last match and still win the group as long as Legia don't win by more than 2 (I think we've scored more so that would count if the overall goal difference was the same???).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

They beat us 3-2 and we beat them 2-1 so it'll go to goals scored between us and they scored one more.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2