Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

274 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/11/23 at 23:59

10 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Head on over to the Spurs forum if you want a bit of a laugh.

"Hope someone breaks Cash's legs".

i mean it was a bad challenge but he didn't go into it trying to hurt the guy.

Calling us a boring club with no trophies... might want to fact check that!

Was just having a browse and there are some really shocking comments on there. 

Pure seething hatred and its tragic. 

Would also like to point out that for all of the 'battered us' talk, presumably mostly from Spurs fans, their xG was 2.3, whilst ours was 2.4. Guess what, offside goals don't count because they are OFFSIDE!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Would also like to point out that for all of the 'battered us' talk, presumably mostly from Spurs fans, their xG was 2.3, whilst ours was 2.4. Guess what, offside goals don't count because they are OFFSIDE!

Yep. There is no such thing as an offside goal.

• Like 1

I know it's been said but the touch count for commentators mentioning Spurs injury list has to be in the thousands.  Mings, Moreno, Emi and JJ not mentioned at all.

Emi Martinez was the difference today. Put almost any other keeper in goal for us and we lose that. Superhuman.

• Confused 1

What a statement win

Fair play to spurs, they risked giving it everything early on with high intensity pressing which we couldn't handle, and unfortunately gave a lesson to everyone how to tear us apart with deep runs and cutting through balls.  Very lucky to still be in the game after 40 mins.

However, we rode it and they tired and couldn't bring on the same quality we have from the bench.  Their team press became individuals and we took control of the game.  

They will get ripped apart by man city now imo and will drop further behind us.  

Thanks villa, so proud of my club

I thought we rode our luck after the first half battering but that what good sides do . Unai needs to be less adventurous away from home, Pau was excellent and that double save from Emi was the game saver.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

We'd covered 2.5km less ground than spurs by the end of the first half, and I imagine it hadn't improved by the end of the second. That's their style. And I think by the end of the game we were benefiting from it.

I saw that stat on the screen, and it had me cross and worried. Shows how little I know about football. It wasn't a bad thing, it was a good thing - it meant that Spurs would inevitably tire faster than us - and that's exactly what happened. It's like 'possession' stats - you have to look beyond what may seem obvious, and understand the deeper tactical factors. Which Don Unai definitely does, brilliantly. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I saw that stat on the screen, and it had me cross and worried. Shows how little I know about football. It wasn't a bad thing, it was a good thing - it meant that Spurs would inevitably tire faster than us - and that's exactly what happened. It's like 'possession' stats - you have to look beyond what may seem obvious, and understand the deeper tactical factors. Which Don Unai definitely does, brilliantly. 

That approach needs you to take your chances and finish the game off. Liverpool used to do it under Brendan Rodger’s.  We rode our luck then finished them off. If they were full strength though and we played like we did first half they would have won easily. 

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I normally keep well away from the 'Match day Thread', but I felt I had to leave a comment today.

I watched the match on Sky with my son and two of my Grandsons and by half time I was a stressed out wreck. I spent the whole of the second half in the lounge on my own in front of a large wood burning stove with a bottle of ten year old Laphroaig whisky. I sipped it and sang songs from my Karaoke catalogue to drown out the cheers and groans coming from the TV room. When my son came and told me we'd won it was a huge draining relief.

I don't usually get stressed about games (win, lose or draw, as long as we've done our best I was happy), but since we've got up towards the top of the table the hope and desire has flooded back in.

Some years ago I had a life saving triple bypass operation after a couple of heart attacks, and I suspect the rest of this season is going to raise my my blood pressure considerably. Fortunately as a collector of excellent Whisky's I have a lot of good 'medication' to calm me down. Still if the worse happens, what a way to go. UTV !!!!!!

All round to yours then big man? I'll bring a wee dram meself if I may laddie.

• Like 1

Overall great team performance. Rode our luck with a lacklustre first forty minutes or so. 
Did not like the four yellows ... two for dissent, one soft and one fully deserved.

I hate to say this, but it was bringing Diaby off that changed the game. Tielemans played a slightly different role to Diaby ... attacking midfielder versus second striker. Of course Bailey an obvious and effective substitute for Cash.

One great set piece and a beautiful interplay between Tielemans and Ollie for the two deserved goals.

Great game/time management. 

MotM? Most of the team could have got it. Ended up giving it to Luiz, but Emi had a great game,

Nice to see JJ and Jhon come on for their cameos.

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m going to sound a real word removed now and I apologise in advance.  Terry Vendables passed away yesterday RIP. 

Whys it announced just before the game ?

Well it was made public not long before the game. And maybe the wait was for the family. And he's a former Spurs player and manager. And a hell of a good coach.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m going to sound a real word removed now and I apologise in advance.  Terry Vendables passed away yesterday RIP. 

Whys it announced just before the game ?

If my death is greeted with poor spelling & grammar, be warned that I shall return to haunt you all. Why's or Why was/ is. Venables not Vendables. 👻

Edited by Django_Zooms
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3