Premier League relegation battle 2023/24

useless

22 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Also if you look at the history of promoted teams, pretty much all of them do worse in the second half of the season than the first half. If you get promoted and want to stay up, history tells us that (usually) you need to start fast. 

Yep its one of the worries when the fixtures come out is getting a newly promoted team away in the opening weeks.

We got Burnley this season and we could played our kids they were that bad

Edited by Zatman

I've always been of the opinion that goal difference is the biggest (roughly, of course) indicator of how good/bad a team is in the league.  Burnley, Sheffield United and Bournemouth currently the worst in this regard.

And as much as people are "the 3 teams that have come up are the worst ever", there's really not much difference in how many goals are being scored.  Burnley worst (9), followed by Luton, Sheffield United and Fulham (10), Bournemouth (11) and Crystal Palace (12).  Bournemouth's win against Newcastle was absolutely huge for them, but a couple of interesting games coming up - Luton at home to Palace and Sheff Utd at home to Bournemouth.  Couple of home wins there and the table gets dragged up.

Gut feeling that one of the non-promoted teams will go down.  Strange feeling it will be Fulham.

the bottom 3 are so poor this year that i think a team would really have to pull out all the stops to get relegated.

If Luton, Burnley & Sheff Utd continue their current form they are all on course for a 15-20 point season, lets be generous and say they throw in some unexpected points here and there, and say they might get 25 or 30 points if they improve for the rest of the season.

For any other PL team to get close to that would be almost impressive in its terribleness.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2023 at 11:10, MaVilla said:

the bottom 3 are so poor this year that i think a team would really have to pull out all the stops to get relegated.

If Luton, Burnley & Sheff Utd continue their current form they are all on course for a 15-20 point season, lets be generous and say they throw in some unexpected points here and there, and say they might get 25 or 30 points if they improve for the rest of the season.

For any other PL team to get close to that would be almost impressive in its terribleness.

Do you think that things were better when there was a division one? I’m asking seriously, not rhetorically. It does seem like it’s just too hard for promoted clubs to establish a foothold in the PL. But I don’t know if it was always like that. I know when I started paying attention to Aston Villa, we were in the second division. And I think so was Manchester United. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Do you think that things were better when there was a division one? I’m asking seriously, not rhetorically. It does seem like it’s just too hard for promoted clubs to establish a foothold in the PL. But I don’t know if it was always like that. I know when I started paying attention to Aston Villa, we were in the second division. And I think so was Manchester United. 

Yes it was a more level playing field then but. Luton are making a good fist of it. Unless Everton get their 10 point deduction overturned they could be relegated for the first time from the Premier League 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Heckingbottom getting sacked. Feel sorry for him, overachieved last season and gets sacked for it. Would have been better off getting them in the playoffs and losing in the final. 

I don’t know what it is with Sheffield United but they always seem to employ the biggest rocket polishers as their manager. Heckingbottom, Wilder, Warnock…

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don’t know what it is with Sheffield United but they always seem to employ the biggest rocket polishers as their manager. Heckingbottom, Wilder, Warnock…

Wilder is coming back according to the reports.

9 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Whats wrong with wilder? I actually thought he was nice enough lad. I remember when we scored past them in championship late on i think it was snoddy that scored

We went nuts and we were criticised about how we celebrated and wilder was defending how we celebrated 

latest odds after the w/e matches

Regardless of any manager change, Sheffield United are doomed.

They really are a poor team and It's a distinct possibility they will be relegated with one of the lowest points tally the Prem has seen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Not a recent thing as they hired Bruce before :P 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats wrong with wilder? I actually thought he was nice enough lad. I remember when we scored past them in championship late on i think it was snoddy that scored

We went nuts and we were criticised about how we celebrated and wilder was defending how we celebrated 

The way he left was disgraceful borderline childish trying to get sacked before he did. Failed miserably in his last 2 jobs

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats the story about the trying to get sacked?

He was pretty much challenging his board to sack him before they finally did and was complaining they gave him no money

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2023 at 18:37, Marka Ragnos said:

Nah Bournemouth, Brighton, Fulham, Wolves, Nottingham Forest, etc have all come and established themselves as a PL team. It's very rare that there is such a big gap like this season.

• Like 1

Â