Premier League relegation battle 2023/24

useless

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They absolutely blitzed the Championship playing some wonderful football.  For whatever reason, they seem to have abandoned that this season.  I expected a Keegan-esque approach to the league, continuing the attacking and knowing they'd concede a fair few.  Instead, they just don't score anywhere near enough... but still concede a fair few.  They should have been more Bournemouth than Sheffield United.

Similarly, though, I don't think Kompany should be sacked.

When I watch them they are like a much poorer version of our 2019/20 team(not just the jersey) and are picked apart at ease. Keeper is hopelessly out of and Hourihane would look robust in the midfield

Agree about goals though and they really should have signed Archer instead of Ramsey

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Another Burnley shambles today. Consideting the ridiculous hype they are easily the worst promoted team ever

Worse than Sheffield United? Kompany has shown his arrogance by sticking with a system that hasn't worked. It's all about him not keeping Burnley up.

I think the promoted sides as a 3 are the worst ever. 

So Burnley, Sheffield, and who?

Luton?

Everton?

Forest?

I'm going Everton, although it does not make me happy to say it. Not so much for this or recent seasons, but growing up they were always there or thereabouts, and I always saw them as a kindred club. 

That said....Dyche 😬

This luton town team would have finished mid table 10 years ago. The talent disparity between the championship and the premier league has grown so large. 

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Luton?

Everton?

Forest?

I'm going Everton, although it does not make me happy to say it. Not so much for this or recent seasons, but growing up they were always there or thereabouts, and I always saw them as a kindred club. 

That said....Dyche 😬

We don't know the outcome of the appeal yet and whether Forest will be docked points. Too .much uncertainty. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Worse than Sheffield United? Kompany has shown his arrogance by sticking with a system that hasn't worked. It's all about him not keeping Burnley up.

People were predicting Burnley to finish top 10 at start of season. Hard to find a pundit that predicted them to go down

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Another Burnley shambles today. Consideting the ridiculous hype they are easily the worst promoted team ever

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People were predicting Burnley to finish top 10 at start of season. Hard to find a pundit that predicted them to go down

To my mind, this would make Burnley the biggest flatterers to deceive, of promoted clubs, rather than the worst promoted club. The emperor’s new clothes of promoted clubs.

The worst promoted champions, perhaps (I haven’t checked).

I hate to be all obvious and predictable, but the season before they totalled their infamous 11 points, Derby were promoted through the play offs. Statistically they have to be the worst promoted club, of recent times, anyway.

By all means, Burnley can be among the worst of the promoted clubs. They can be in the conversation. I just don’t think they’re “easily the worst promoted team ever”.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bit like us under Sherwood. A whole new squad but not really much planning. Relying on a rookie keeper. Kompany just can't cut it but is media darling and won't be sacked. Sheffield are worse in my opinion. Taken some absolute batterings

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Bit like us under Sherwood. A whole new squad but not really much planning. Relying on a rookie keeper. Kompany just can't cut it but is media darling and won't be sacked. Sheffield are worse in my opinion. Taken some absolute batterings

Nothing comparable at all. Kompany was supposed to be a good coach Sherwood wasn't but Tim is probably better

Kompany is a fraud

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Luton?

Everton?

Forest?

That said....Dyche 😬

I've wanted Everton relegated ever since we went down so they can lose never been relegated from PL status

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nothing comparable at all. Kompany was supposed to be a good coach Sherwood wasn't but Tim is probably better

Kompany is a fraud

Aye, but he knows a lot about Sean Connery.

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

Kompany is a fraud

You got to keep your personal feeling out of things. You said Burnley are the worst team by far that's played in the prenier league and yet they are not even the worst this season. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

You got to keep your personal feeling out of things. You said Burnley are the worst team by far that's played in the prenier league and yet they are not even the worst this season. 

I said considering the hype they are the worst promoted team ever.

I have zero personal feelings at all about Burnley 😂

On 24/02/2024 at 20:52, PaulC said:

I think the Premier League is just that much stronger now that the gap is too big for them. Burnley and Sheffield will go down and tear up the championship again.

On 25/02/2024 at 08:51, Kiwivillan said:

I've wanted Everton relegated ever since we went down so they can lose never been relegated from PL status

Same for no other reason than that and a reality check! Couple of seasons in the championship would do them good.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think the Premier League is just that much stronger now that the gap is too big for them. Burnley and Sheffield will go down and tear up the championship again.

I don’t think Sheffield United would to be honest. Burnley, there’s a good young pool of talent there and I could see “the experience” doing them well in the long term. Hard to see any of that at Sheffield United.

On the flip side, Luton have been fantastic - hope they stay up. Given my location and mates I hope Forest do too.

So Everton or Brentford to go down in that 3rd spot please. 

On 21/02/2024 at 13:34, bobzy said:

They absolutely blitzed the Championship playing some wonderful football.  For whatever reason, they seem to have abandoned that this season.  I expected a Keegan-esque approach to the league, continuing the attacking and knowing they'd concede a fair few.  Instead, they just don't score anywhere near enough... but still concede a fair few.  They should have been more Bournemouth than Sheffield United.

Similarly, though, I don't think Kompany should be sacked.

It’s not that they’ve abandoned it , it’s more the fact they can’t do that at premier league level. Kompany is naive in his approach similar to what Smith was when we came up. I agree he shouldn’t be sacked they’ve signed some decent young players and will come back up.

Â