Premier League relegation battle 2023/24

useless

Nice to see this topic in Other Football rather than the Villa Talk section for a change! 

Guess we still have the panic-buying January transfer to come yet which might change things, which club do we think Danny Ings is going to be at come February? 

Forest home form will be enough for them to stay up, Everton I guess will depend on if they get a points deduction but I think they will have enough to stop up regardless with how bad it is down there. Fulham despite their lack of goals, will hoover around the bottom 6 but have enough to stay up. Between Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton and Bournemouth for me. 

Some general stats on promoted teams and their subsequent first season (back) in the top flight.

Over the previous 31 seasons, 92 teams have been promoted to the Premier League.

Of those, 52 teams have survived their first season.

For those interested, those promoted from the second tier as Champions have survived that opening season on 20 occasions, runners up have survived 18 times, play off winners 14 times.

There was of course one season when second place didn’t get promoted and were involved in the play offs instead. (That team, Reading subsequently didn’t get promoted, but whose laughing now, eh).

The last time all three promoted clubs were relegated was 1997/98 when Bolton, Barnsley and Palace relegated. 

That season Palace finished bottom on 33 points, Barnsley next on 35 and Bolton were relegated in 18th on 40 points, losing out on goal difference.

Weirdly enough, Everton of all teams finished 17th and survived by having a minus 15 goal difference compared to Bolton’s minus 20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Nice to see this topic in Other Football rather than the Villa Talk section for a change! 

Guess we still have the panic-buying January transfer to come yet which might change things, which club do we think Danny Ings is going to be at come February? 

Forest home form will be enough for them to stay up, Everton I guess will depend on if they get a points deduction but I think they will have enough to stop up regardless with how bad it is down there. Fulham despite their lack of goals, will hoover around the bottom 6 but have enough to stay up. Between Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton and Bournemouth for me. 

If we match our PPG from the relegation year until the end of the season we'd have 37 points. That's a good indication of how far we've come

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This is gonna be kne of the shittest years for a relegation battle as we all know who is going down

Looking very likely.

Sheffield could pick up, and others could well get worse and dragged in.

Be good for us if some of the bottom half teams started taking anything off the top half (us excluded).

23 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Looking very likely.

Sheffield could pick up, and others could well get worse and dragged in.

Be good for us if some of the bottom half teams started taking anything off the top half (us excluded).

I think if its the newly promoted clubs all go down next season could be competitive at the bottom  as leicester will be strong and i think leeds will prob come back and be strong too along with saints/Ipswich 

28 minutes ago, imavillan said:

latest odds at Bet365

usually one of the three promoted teams do quite well in the first season but this season you have to say the three of them are pretty poor  

spacer.png

absolute hilarious . Burnley is absolute free money

Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United look hopelessly out of their depth. Could have given the entire league a 10 point deduction and I think they'd still be the 3. I dont think they'll get 70 points between them.

Id like Luton to stay up of the 3, but I just can't see it happening.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United look hopelessly out of their depth. Could have given the entire league a 10 point deduction and I think they'd still be the 3. I dont think they'll get 70 points between them.

Id like Luton to stay up of the 3, but I just can't see it happening.

I don't think they'll get 40 points between them

21 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United look hopelessly out of their depth.

Also if you look at the history of promoted teams, pretty much all of them do worse in the second half of the season than the first half. If you get promoted and want to stay up, history tells us that (usually) you need to start fast. 

Â