Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Just now, PussEKatt said:

It makes sencs to me because the second string is im higher than the first string,so the higher string makes the globe fatter.The world is 1m fatter all around.

But I guess most minds intuitively think "yeah but it's 1 metre fatter everywhere, so that must be miles of extra string" when actually your 2 x Pi x R just got an extra 2 x Pi (or ~6.3m).

Just now, BOF said:

But I guess most minds intuitively think "yeah but it's 1 metre fatter everywhere, so that must be miles of extra string" when actually your 2 x Pi x R just got an extra 2 x Pi (or ~6.3m).

I dont fully understand your calculations, but I will take your reply as an affirmitive.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Well,I did say that I dont understand the calculations.

Its easy. the circumference of a circle is twice Pi multiplied by the radius

You are adding 1 meter to the radius, so the difference between the earth and the strings circumference is that one meter times by twice Pi (or simply twice Pi) which just happens to be 6.3

On 06/03/2023 at 12:58, Stevo985 said:

I've heard this before, and whilst I totally understand the workings and agree with the answer, my brain is unable to accept it. It just doesn't feel right.

It can't possibly be correct, so I've recalculated it.

I actually make it 6.28 metres! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People might not necessarily know this, but it perhaps won’t surprise them -

The founder of chiropractic, Daniel David Palmer, claimed he was taught the practice by the ghost of a dead doctor (Dr Jim Atkinson).

I know chiropractors have their critics, but in fairness it wasn’t any old spirit, they did have a doctorate which lends it a bit more credibility.

• Haha 2

Â