Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Former referee Jon Moss (now of the PGMOL) owns a record shop (The Vinyl Whistle) in Leeds. 

I thought that was well known? Certainly is amongst the vinyl enthusiasts

• 1 month later...

Britain has wild populations of wallabies. Since the late 1800s small groups have sustained themselves after escaping zoos and private collections across the country.

55 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Britain has wild populations of wallabies. Since the late 1800s small groups have sustained themselves after escaping zoos and private collections across the country.

I knew that but I was shocked to discover that the Derbyshire colony is now thought to be extinct

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

I knew that but I was shocked to discover that the Derbyshire colony is now thought to be extinct

They could only take so many generations of locals **** them before being assimilated.

• Haha 2

On 19/04/2023 at 12:07, BOF said:

Attempting to beat Ken Warby's current water speed record of 317.596mph has a 100% fatality rate.

The record has stood since 1978 and since then only 2 people have made any attempt to break it. Both men crashed and died. Lee Taylor in 1980 and his wasn't even an actual attempt. It was a demonstration that went wrong. And Craig Arfons crashed in 1989 at over 350mph.

Does that count though?

Yep, the official speed is the average of two runs up and down (there and back) the same course.

Any idiot can be fired across a lake at 350mph, the skill is in managing it twice. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Yep, the official speed is the average of two runs up and down (there and back) the same course.

Any idiot can be fired across a lake at 350mph, the skill is in managing it twice. 

The first time you can see where you are going.

The second time you can see where you have been.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Newcastle is further west than Southampton.

(Thanks Reddit)

Isn't this very well known amongst atlas enthusiasts? 

• Haha 1

If we're doing this map stuff, Lands End has no claim to fame. It is neither the most southerly part of mainland Great Britain (Lizard Point) nor the most westerly (Corrachadh Mòr)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

If we're doing this map stuff, Lands End has no claim to fame. It is neither the most southerly part of mainland Great Britain (Lizard Point) nor the most westerly (Corrachadh Mòr)

Its claim to fame is that it is one of two points on the mainland that are furthest apart. 

• Like 1

Â