Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

The bull terrier, the odd looking dog breed with the sloping head and tiny triangle eyes, originated in Birmingham. The breed was created by James Hinks, who lived in Birmingham throughout his life, in an attempt to create a companion animal for a 'modern' gentleman.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this is one of those things that is reasonably well known, but I was completely unaware of before today -

The Ethiopian calendar treat this year as 2015, they’re about 7/8 years behind us. This seems to be in mainly because they date Christ’s birth differently. Their new year starts on 11th September and their calendar has 13 months, 12 being 30 days long and the 13th being 5-6 days long depending on whether it’s a leap year.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

The Beatles '1967-1970' (the 'blue' hits album) includes 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' - except in Spain, where it was replaced by 'One After 909'. 

Why? Because TBOJAY included a reference to Gibraltar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The Beatles '1967-1970' (the 'blue' hits album) includes 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' - except in Spain, where it was replaced by 'One After 909'. 

Why? Because TBOJAY included a reference to Gibraltar. 

That's some top notch trivia. But also, One after 909 is a fairly left field swap.

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

That's some top notch trivia. But also, One after 909 is a fairly left field swap.

No doubt all you Schmeatles fans will be claiming they wrote the song about a drum machine 20 years before it was released to the world by the Japanese

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

No doubt all you Schmeatles fans will be claiming they wrote the song about a drum machine 20 years before it was released to the world by the Japanese

Ahead of their time. You should hear their song My girl plays a mean DX7. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The monkey wrench (that's an 'adjustable spanner' to us Brits) is so-called because it was invented by one Charles Moncky of Baltimore. 

Interesting, moreso because it's usually Americans who have to change words to make them more descriptive, not the other way around (to quote the awful Michael McIntyre - sidewalk, eye glasses, trash can).

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The monkey wrench (that's an 'adjustable spanner' to us Brits) is so-called because it was invented by one Charles Moncky of Baltimore. 

Not true apparently

Charles Moncky myth
The following story can be found in sundry publications from the late 19th and early 20th centuries:

"That handy tool, the "monkey-wrench", is not so named because it is a handy thing to monkey with, or for any kindred reason. "Monkey" is not its name at all, Charles Moncky, the inventor of it, sold his patent for $5000, and invested the money in a house in Williamsburg, Kings County, where he now lives."

Although this story was refuted by historical and patent research in the late 19th century, it appears to have been inspired by a real person. A Charles Monk (not Moncky) lived in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn in the 1880s where he made and sold moulder's tools, not mechanics' tools like a monkey wrench. He could not have invented or named the monkey wrench because he was born after the term first appeared in print.

Wiki

Was watching a film ("Ventoux") last night, and one of the characters asked his mate this question: 

If you ran a piece of string around the equator, and then another piece of string, on props, one metre higher than the ground-level one, how much longer would the higher string have to be, compared to the lower one? 

The answer is (approximately) only six metres. Which seems crazily counterintuitive to people with non-mathematical brains (like me). So much so, that I got out the calculator and worked it out. It's right. 

🤯

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 11:46, mjmooney said:

Was watching a film ("Ventoux") last night, and one of the characters asked his mate this question: 

If you ran a piece of string around the equator, and then another piece of string, on props, one metre higher than the ground-level one, how much longer would the higher string have to be, compared to the lower one? 

Hide contents

The answer is (approximately) only six metres. Which seems crazily counterintuitive to people with non-mathematical brains (like me). So much so, that I got out the calculator and worked it out. It's right. 

🤯

I've heard this before, and whilst I totally understand the workings and agree with the answer, my brain is unable to accept it. It just doesn't feel right.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've heard this before, and whilst I totally understand the workings and agree with the answer, my brain is unable to accept it. It just doesn't feel right.

Exactly my reaction. 

• Like 1

Â