Match Thread: Villa v West Ham

limpid

One of those where I hope it doesn't kick us that we're not further ahead.

Zaniolo and Luiz have been particular standouts, but we've generally been good.

West Ham look dangerous on the break and are well organised so by no means done, even though we're much the better side.

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

Don't see West Ham being quite as passive 2nd half, we'll need a 2nd goal 

The momentum changed. And we started hitting on the break. I agree a second is needed but you Know Unai will have a plan to take advantage

Not read through the thread yet - but after a dodgy three or four minutes when we kept losing the ball in the middle of the pitch, I think we've looked really good.  Shame we haven't put away more than 1 - so hopefully we can get a goal early in the second half and keep on making West Ham chase shadows.  Really good to see Zaniolo and Watkins spot the pass to ultimately set up Doug for his goal.  Plenty of encouraging signs.  But still hating the late flags for offside - players diving around in the area to try and block shots when the game should already have been stopped.

• Like 1

Appreciate keeping the ball to close the half but when there's 30 seconds to go and we are on the attack, why slow it down and check back ? Lose nothing having a shot or cross in and a chance to go 2 up at the break.

We've looked decent from what I've seen so far, had to miss some as wife who said no to me cooking the roast for 4pm and said she was doing it for 5.30pm cooked it at 4.30 ffs.

We need at least 2 more against them due to bowen and jwp threats.

I think we've made them look very average.

They're gushing over Pacqueta when he does a stepover on the halfway line but him deep and Soucek as the ten is very much to our advantage.

Some lovely passing combinations from us, what we were showing in some of the pre season games.

We just look a top team this season, certainly after the disaster of the opening game.

• Like 2

We’ve done really well in finding players in the middle of the pitch and getting them on the half turn quickly, suspect Moyes will seek to put an end to that somehow.

Feel like we should have scored more and that always concerns me for a second half.

Oh, and how on earth can they spend a minute checking if the handball was in or out of the box to then put the ball down 3 yards back for the free kick, sometimes refs just don’t help themselves with a basic lack of logic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

The momentum changed. And we started hitting on the break. I agree a second is needed but you Know Unai will have a plan to take advantage

Yep if they try to exert pressure on us we can just sit back and hit on the counter with our pace. 

That's why we are so dangerous in attack we have the quickest breaks in the prem and the 2nd longest passing chains when attacking. 

• Like 1

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think we’ve been very decent. Lovely goal, Dougie is just pure class. Another assist for Ollie. Brilliant to see Villa Park as a fortress nowadays again. Konsa has been very good, handled Antonio brilliantly.

Bizarre they're playing Antonio wide left as Konsa is very comfortably when he comes into his area. Just few minutes and he easily brushed Pau aside and got a cross in so don't think it will be too long before they take off one of their midfielders and put on Benrahma as that will ask a different question of us out of possession. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think we’ve been very decent. Lovely goal, Dougie is just pure class. Another assist for Ollie. Brilliant to see Villa Park as a fortress nowadays again. Konsa has been very good, handled Antonio brilliantly.

He’s not pure class, most overrated player on here apparently I saw it in the pre match thread. Or perhaps we have some complete d***s posting on here ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Appreciate keeping the ball to close the half but when there's 30 seconds to go and we are on the attack, why slow it down and check back ? Lose nothing having a shot or cross in and a chance to go 2 up at the break.

We've looked decent from what I've seen so far, had to miss some as wife who said no to me cooking the roast for 4pm and said she was doing it for 5.30pm cooked it at 4.30 ffs.

We need at least 2 more against them due to bowen and jwp threats.

Or lose the ball and get caught on the break and go in 1-1 having dominated the half.  I think there was a half chance early in the move but when that closed I think we did the right thing.  But hopefully we can keep this up and get a second.  Ollie deserves one to go in off his a**e against this lot - sure he's had a couple of very dodgy overturned goals against them in the past.