Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/23 at 22:59

Getting worried that we haven’t hit our stride at all this season, but we get a point. Saw flashes but I want to see us dominate games. Nevertheless, in years gone by, we would have capitulated so we showed some grit today.

Wolves set up for the draw. Total anti-football made it difficult to referee because it’s just a constant barrage of niggly fouls and moaning. Fair play if that’s how Wolves want to set up, but we played into their hands. V defensive set up from Unai, which ultimately ended up with our attacking players feeling distant from play for most of the match. I’d love to see the stats on how many times we won the second ball, because we seemed a mile off it. Watkins didn’t get much of a sniff. Ditto Diaby who didn’t look fit. Zaniolo isn’t on the same wavelength as his teammates and cuts a frustrated figure. 

Digne and Cash were meant to be the key outlets today and they failed to deliver. Cash looked rash (rhyme not intended) and Digne’s crossing wasn’t on point. Set pieces were utterly atrocious, especially throwins in attacking positions. Reflecting back on the game.l, the number of corners that failed to beat the first man was quite incredible. 

Defensively, we were solid, but Pau looks like he’s running in treacle. Diego Costa is growing into his role and Konsa looked assured. Emi Martinez remains a god.

• Like 1

All 14:00 kickoffs ended in draws today so its not the worst result in the world, although i dont think we beat the hammers if we play like we did today. Either team have the quality to win the game and we should have won that one at the end there but you cant win them all i suppose. Draw after the international break wouldnt be the end of the world given our recent record against west ham, however would love to win

They like to go to ground those Dingles don't they? They are not adverse at dishing it out either. Pity we couldn't have won it with that last kick of the game, that would have been so sweet, but the result was probably fair enough. Always hard for us to win there now and to play them straight after their unexpected win against Citeh, made it doubly so, they would have been there for the taking a couple of weeks ago. Let's make sure we beat them at our place this season. 

Edited by John
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, smg said:

Sadly unless we are at least 3-0 up all our players are considered to be shit by fans on here. Only Martinez has not been called out at some time today and he had **** all to do. The goal blamed on 5 different players. All refs are wa****s and VAR hates us. We are 5th in the premier league yet it seems we are absolutely shit. What a time to be a Villa fan.

For the goal my only criticism was that Luiz was too ponderous and indecisive which lead to him dropping the ball. All in all I think we played a good game. Wolves were really dirty and it must have frustrated our players a lot. I think McGinn was a hero for dishing some back at them in the first half lol. I even thought the ref was great for this game.

I'm over the moon that we're 5th and I think that we're a proper team. You're not alone mate ;)

• Like 1

I’d have taken a point before kick off, I’d still have taken a point at 90 mins but after them doing down to ten men and the succession of chances we failed to take in the last 5 mins I’m disappointed.

Luiz was really ponderous today I thought, resulting in their goal with him being comically dispossessed and not being clinical in front of goal, Watkins was poor for most of it and from that position really should have scored at the end. Great to see Pau get his first goal, reckon he’ll be knocking up a special paella tonight 😜.

We looked a bit leggy, perhaps not surprisingly, the two week break will do us some good hopefully in that regard whilst also hopefully giving time for one or two more to come back from injury.

• Like 1

Bad performance that we still should have three points from.

Doug the worst he's played in a year.

Watkins appalling from 1-90.

Diaby and Zaniolo looked injured the moment they stepped onto the pitch.

Cannot wait for Bailey to no longer play for Aston Villa.

Tielemans, my god. What a chump he looks like.

Torres got loads of confidence from that goal, I think he had a great last 20 mins. Before that...less so. You couldn't find a decent CB less suited to the PL and our specific high line if you tried. An inefficient use of ~£75m.

Emi (obviously), Digne, Carlos, Konsa, Cash, McGinn not bad. Thought Kamara did well having been on a yellow since the 5th minute.

Ref garbage.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Torres got loads of confidence from that goal, I think he had a great last 20 mins. Before that...less so. You couldn't find a decent CB less suited to the PL and our specific high line if you tried. An inefficient use of ~£75m.

Emi (obviously), Digne, Carlos, Konsa, Cash, McGinn not bad. Thought Kamara did well having been on a yellow since the 5th minute.

Ref garbage.

That’s a touch harsh in Torres, he just needs the right partner to make up for his lack of pace but his passing makes up for a lot of his weaknesses.

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I’m not having a go at you here, but what did he do badly when he came on today? I’ll admit that I thought he was utter turd in the first half midweek, but I can’t remember him doing anything brilliant or sh*te when he came on today?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Ref garbage.

Dougie's likely tired for being overplayed.

Watkins didn't have a great game, but then again he almost won it for us there at the end.

Yeah Diaby & Zaniolo look like they're both carrying knocks still.

Bailey was actually a breath of fresh air this game. Botched like one pass, but won balls and created stuff. Don't get the criticism.

Tielemans was pretty inoffensive this game honestly.

Torres had trouble against Neto sure, but overall he's good in our system imo. He needs more speed sure, but on the upside he's got an amazing pass at times. Great goal too.

Agree with the rest. Konsa and McGinn were excellent I thought.

Ref good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

You obviously missed the wins against Everton, Burnley and Brighton. 

Thats a fair point. I guess I want to see consistency: the Brighton game showed how our link up play can be so fabulous: why do we look so disjointed at other times? Maybe Wolves deserve more credit for nullifying that fluidity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

That’s a touch harsh in Torres, he just needs the right partner to make up for his lack of pace but his passing makes up for a lot of his weaknesses.

Is there a faster CB in the world we can sign than Konsa?

Torres clearly not a bad player. Just ill-suited. He really drove us on those final 20, he'd have been responsible for that goal if Watkins could have got a free header on target.

• Like 1

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Thats a fair point. I guess I want to see consistency: the Brighton game showed how our link up play can be so fabulous: why do we look so disjointed at other times? Maybe Wolves deserve more credit for nullifying that fluidity. 

They played really rough and physical and went down a lot to counter our fluidity. Fair on them imo, they played with passion today.

• Like 2

Â