January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

6 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

This is something @Czarnikjak pulled together a while back.

I for one am shocked a random website saying we lost £300m in one year is incorrect. 

IMG_6786.jpeg.f8833c3e982f5f4e04508e0fc387003c.jpeg

Imagine my shock also. Thank you for this btw. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RicRic said:

We most certainly have to be looking at Dybala it would be criminal not to, but do i hear hes injury record is abysmal that would be the only concern from me.

It seems clear he will be staying in Rome until at least the summer. Also Man Utd. pulled out of a move for him previously because of the demands of him and his entourage. Finally I don't think he fits the profile of an Emery type player. 

14 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

I for one am shocked a random website saying we lost £300m in one year is incorrect. 

I'm hoping yours is accurate and thank f*CK for that.

My bad for trusting the Internet lol.

Still shows we need smart trading and more income though, but MUCH better than what I saw.

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Yeah we have low ambitions if we are just going to accept players like anderson and others we have been linked to even Acuna who may well be fantastic is still at a age where we should be staying away from. The position we are in we should be now changing the mindset and looking at more ambitious potential signings and everything you said is spot on.

The phrase 'lost our ambition' seems to have irked a few, I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, what I probably should have said is the signing would make very little sense. As @Jas10 said, we already have so many players who play in that position, it would be throwing wages down the drain on a player who wouldn't get much game time and it makes sense to many on here just because he's available on a 'free'.

If it were a holding midfielder who is better than Dendoncker but is now 29/30 (let's say someone like Guido Rodriguez from Real Betis), I would be more for that because it's a position we need better strength in depth. But again there would have to be no doubts as to his ability, which in Anderson's case there are: he didn't perform well for West Ham considering they spent £36m to get him in and they couldn't wait to ship him back to Italy by all accounts. We can't talk about Moyes destroying him, he's signed Lucas Paqueta for West Ham in that position, who is an incredible player (and a player I would love at Villa). 

Acuna is another one, no point shipping off Digne who is 2 years younger for Acuna when the differences saved in wages really won't be very much. If we sell Digne we need to be bringing in a younger player that is at least as good as him or we risk going backwards. Tierney was a good shout from @VillaChris and Emery signed him when he was at Arsenal, the only concern with him is his injury record. 

Let's say for argument's sake the decision to sign Anderson is to make room for 1-2 real top quality players, then maybe I'd feel differently about it, but there is no suggestion of that in the article. And even then I'd still argue we could make those 1-2 top quality signings without having to bring in Anderson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Yep… our highest priority should be Champions League football. It’s the best way for us to expand and progress in so many ways…

As appealing as a trophy is… it’s not going to advance us anywhere near as much as CL qualification will. And with a manager like Unai… I think it’s something we could sustain if we manage to get in there…

Anyway… why not both? 😂

Could see us winning ECL and qualifying for CL to be fair but we need luck with injuries and player form… an intelligent signing to two would really help n boost us…

and like you’ve said before… now’s the time to “go for it” if we can and while being sensible about it…

strike while the iron is hot as they say… etc. etc. 

Yeah this is definitely got to be the aim and would love this more than winning the conference, id love to see us lift silverware more than anything so it shows just how much i value the conference but at the same time shows just how badly I’d love to see us in the UCL for the first time in my life watching us 😂however we are in it so we are going to try win it and ill be there every step of the way 🤝

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm hoping yours is accurate and thank f*CK for that.

My bad for trusting the Internet lol.

Still shows we need smart trading and more income though, but MUCH better than what I saw.

Blame @Czarnikjak if we get a 10 point deduction 🤣

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, RoyalVilla said:

That article says we lost £274.9m in the 20/21 season. Can that be right? 

No lol. WTF is this sh*te.

25 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Yep this is accurate regards the known picture. Though it's not from @Czarnikjak (though he does provide plenty of other useful insight regards club finances) but the Swiss Ramble blog, which is definitely more reliable than whatever that other link was.

I think people really need to chill (as is often the case) regards FFP and this window. My own forecasting prior to the season had us with plenty room to do the business we've done since, but with some potential issues to keep in mind (albeit perfectly manageable ones) in 24/25 if we pushed a bit too far and/or didn't make the expected progress in the league. I haven't reworked my numbers in any detail, but three key points regarding where we might have move from that forecast:

1. We didn't exceed what I'd expected us to spend in the summer (if anything we underspent my expectation)

2. We made at least what I'd expected us to make in sales profit (if anything we might have made more)

3. Our performance to date this season indicates a likely finish multiple places above my forecast and a very high chance of CL football next season, which should give the club even more reason and scope to spend in January if they feel they need to without setting us up for potential issues next season.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Do we need him? Is he better than what we have?

If not, there’s no point. We have enough players at the club…

It’s no longer a great league either and many can’t manage the step up… 

I’m sure many people would prefer to bring back a talented youngster like Philogene Bidace than sign an ageing, average player on a free (probably on big wages) when we don’t need him…

Personally, I hope and believe we’re much more ambitious and capable than that and the only signings we make from now on are genuine competition, upgrades and youngsters with huge potential.

Again, we have been trimming the fat off this squad and upping the quality and standards…

Dunno why we would suddenly change that strategy now that we are flying and so high up the league…

It’s all just opinions…

bit if Unai wants him (not so sure), then Unai gets him 😂

Anderson is genuine competition and is also free in a position we don't have particular depth, and will be coming in next season not in Jan. If we don't sign Zaniolo it's like for like replacement. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

And then you go and ruin it with this nonsense. Spence is a wasteman.

Why is he? Has he done something in his personal life that makes him undesirable that I've missed or do you just not like his personality?

I have no knowledge of our clubs actual financial position, and I have no trust in random (clickbait?) articles publishing "facts" without any checkable references as to their source or accuracy.

However, I do have two genuine questions.

1) Why would Emery have joined a club who were (reportedly) in the middle of a huge financial crisis having recently suffered a catastrophic annual loss of 275 million pounds?

2) Why would Monchi have joined AVFC if he was unable to spend money due to having absolutely no FFP headroom?

This "FFP league table" seems like a load of rubbish in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Couldn't find the exact article, but found another one which shows it.

We are basically just behind Everton and Chelsea. Not pretty is it 🤦🏿‍♂️

https://sqaf.club/premier-league-ffp-table/

Since when did villa lose £275m in 2021?

The official NWSE accounts show £0, -£37m, & -£99m in the last 3 years

Looks like someone is playing make believe with the figures

Spence wasn't recalled by Spurs, Leeds sent him back, I had a look on a Leeds forum, I was expecting the opposite, but none of them seemed to be bothered that he'd left and were saying that Farke had done the right thing, saying Spence didn't look bothered when he played. Maybe the fact that Leeds were playing a seventeen year old midfielder out of positon at righback tells us something.

When Spence puts his mind to it he can be a good player, but even at his best he isn't as good as Cash, he wasn't as good for Forest as Cash was, if you don't believe me then believe Forest fans who will say the same thing, so Spence not going to be good enough for us now.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I have no knowledge of our clubs actual financial position, and I have no trust in random (clickbait?) articles publishing "facts" without any checkable references as to their source or accuracy.

However, I do have two genuine questions.

1) Why would Emery have joined a club who were (reportedly) in the middle of a huge financial crisis having recently suffered a catastrophic annual loss of 275 million pounds?

2) Why would Monchi have joined AVFC if he was unable to spend money due to having absolutely no FFP headroom?

This "FFP league table" seems like a load of rubbish in my opinion.

Well said. What I think is that imaginations run wild when little appears to be happening. This, in turn, is because we have a tight, highly professional, team running our recruitment so we have to trust them and have patience - at least for now.

16 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

No lol. WTF is this sh*te.

Yep this is accurate regards the known picture. Though it's not from @Czarnikjak (though he does provide plenty of other useful insight regards club finances) but the Swiss Ramble blog, which is definitely more reliable than whatever that other link was.

I think people really need to chill (as is often the case) regards FFP and this window. My own forecasting prior to the season had us with plenty room to do the business we've done since, but with some potential issues to keep in mind (albeit perfectly manageable ones) in 24/25 if we pushed a bit too far and/or didn't make the expected progress in the league. I haven't reworked my numbers in any detail, but three key points regarding where we might have move from that forecast:

1. We didn't exceed what I'd expected us to spend in the summer (if anything we underspent my expectation)

2. We made at least what I'd expected us to make in sales profit (if anything we might have made more)

3. Our performance to date this season indicates a likely finish multiple places above my forecast and a very high chance of CL football next season, which should give the club even more reason and scope to spend in January if they feel they need to without setting us up for potential issues next season.

Thank you also @tomsky_11, I always enjoy reading your FFP posts! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The official NWSE accounts show £0, -£37m, & -£99m in the last 3 years

Yep, the only figure of ours that site had that made any sense is the latest £0.4M profit, and even then it's the published figure in the accounts rather than the actual figure that would be used for FFP purposes, which would have adjustments as per Swiss Ramble table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Is Chiesa the only player in the world to you 🤣

No… but one of my faves… one of the few genuine stars or world class talents that Italy have and retain… 😩 they wouldn’t have won the Euros without him.

As I’ve explained many times - I’m a Serie A fanatic of the 90s and an Italy fan… really miss those days and players…

Anyway…

I like our players… a lot. And that’s thanks to Unai in the main.

We’ve managed to get rid of the majority of substandard players and have a talented and appealing squad… the only reason to add to it is if we can bring in players that genuinely make us better. Otherwise, don’t bother…

That is all…

• Like 1