January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

2 or 3 signings. You're having a laff. The team was tired because December was a busy month. They've 2 PL games in all of January plenty of time to recuperate. 

Buying the right players in January is difficult and we definitely don't need to go and overpay for someone. We have no clear gaps in the squad.

We might move on Traore and Chambers of we can get replacements

Right-back?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

2 or 3 signings. You're having a laff. The team was tired because December was a busy month. They've 2 PL games in all of January plenty of time to recuperate. 

Buying the right players in January is difficult and we definitely don't need to go and overpay for someone. We have no clear gaps in the squad.

Goalkeeper? There can't be a single one of us that doesn't yell out in terror when we see Olsen on a team sheet, even if he has definitely improved of late.

Also if Watkins got injured could Duran step up? Not seen much evidence he is ready for that yet, he's never looked that good when he's started.

Could Zaniolo play that role? I don't think so personally but who knows

Diaby and Bailey don't have the physical presence to play the lone forward. 

• Like 1

Right back is the only priority really.

Back up striker if the right option is available. But don't need to do something for the sake of it.

Everything else would just be nice to have

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We have no clear gaps in the squad.

Can’t agree, we have gaps like others above have said.  Having a body for a position doesn’t negate the gap we have for sufficient quality in that position.

35 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Right-back?

Well Emery was happy to let Young go and to play Konsa often at RB. With Cash the other option. That might have been because he expected Chambers to be more useful as the RCB/RB player as backup for Konsa. Cash as RM/RB in an attacking side.

I do feel we need a more right footed attacking option down that side. Not a RCB type player to move Konsa back into CB. I think Konsa is doing very well in that position this season. 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Right back is the only priority really.

Back up striker if the right option is available. But don't need to do something for the sake of it.

Everything else would just be nice to have

I'd argue a proper backup keeper is a must.

Missing Emi for even 1 game let alone a run of games (if injured or suspended) is just unthinkable given the deputy options at the moment. It could spell the end of our season in multiple competitions.

I think we clearly need cover and competition for the midfield 6/8 positions. Tielemans and McGinn are great for the next two midfield positions but neither are adequate cover for Luiz or Kamara. One player is enough for now.

Right back is an obvious need. Konsa is one of the centre halves ideally or the right of a 3. Its great he can cover there. I like Cash but he's not the solution. You could argue we need 2 long term. A more attacking wing back and a defensive option.

Another attacking string-puller in midfield wouldn't hurt. Another striker option / cover is needed. Backup keeper of course.

Buendia and Mings will really help on return. But we need a few more to make sure we make the most of this great opportunity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well Emery was happy to let Young go and to play Konsa often at RB. With Cash the other option. That might have been because he expected Chambers to be more useful as the RCB/RB player as backup for Konsa. Cash as RM/RB in an attacking side.

I do feel we need a more right footed attacking option down that side. Not a RCB type player to move Konsa back into CB. I think Konsa is doing very well in that position this season. 

I think Emery always wanted to play Konsa at RB. It was only Cash's good start to the season that stopped him doing it sooner.

However, I think the Mings injury and Carlos not looking quite as good as we'd hoped has changed things.

It's clear now that we need Konsa at CB far more than we maybe thought we would, and he's wasted at RB. That coupled with Cash's recent dip in form means RB is now more of a priority than we perhaps thought it would be

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Emery always wanted to play Konsa at RB. It was only Cash's good start to the season that stopped him doing it sooner.

However, I think the Mings injury and Carlos not looking quite as good as we'd hoped has changed things.

It's clear now that we need Konsa at CB far more than we maybe thought we would, and he's wasted at RB. That coupled with Cash's recent dip in form means RB is now more of a priority than we perhaps thought it would be

I don't agree, I think Carlos has done a good job. We need a Carlos or Mings player as the central one of the back 3 and as Mings will be back fit next season I think we're in a good place with the 4 we have. 

I think we need an attacking RB/RM who is right footed. We need that threat and pace on RM to pin opposite FB back and cover Konsa

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't agree, I think Carlos has done a good job. We need a Carlos or Mings player as the central one of the back 3 and as Mings will be back fit next season I think we're in a good place with the 4 we have. 

I think we need an attacking RB/RM who is right footed. We need that threat and pace on RM to pin opposite FB back and cover Konsa

Dumfries or Frimpong sounds ideal for this role.  As long as they can cross better than Cash, or actually dribble past someone. 🤣

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't agree, I think Carlos has done a good job. We need a Carlos or Mings player as the central one of the back 3 and as Mings will be back fit next season I think we're in a good place with the 4 we have

But it's not next season. It's now.

And we don't play a back 3. More often than not we play a back 4, and it's abundantly clear that Pau and Konsa is our best CB combination. That puts the priority for Konsa at CB rather than RB. 

Unless we want to keep missing out on playing our best CB pairing then we need to give ourselves confidence at RB to avoid having to use Konsa there. And Cash doesn't provide that currently

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But it's not next season. It's now.

And we don't play a back 3. More often than not we play a back 4, and it's abundantly clear that Pau and Konsa is our best CB combination. That puts the priority for Konsa at CB rather than RB. 

Unless we want to keep missing out on playing our best CB pairing then we need to give ourselves confidence at RB to avoid having to use Konsa there. And Cash doesn't provide that currently

i agree 100% with you tbh.

We really need a top RB.

Anything else is just "nice to have", ie: DM, no.10, striker etc.

We really do need a quality RB, badly i think.

5 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

but doesn't your second sentence contradict the first? if we suffer when key players are missing our squad isn't great

Everyone suffers when key players are missing. For us it's Luiz and Kamara mainly and to a lesser degree Pau Torres. It also hasn't helped that Tielemans has been injured the last few games who is probably our 3rd bets possession midfielder both in terms of doing stuff with the ball when we have but also keeping and maintaining possession. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It's not for January, it's for March-April.

We'll be playing Spurs and Wolves after last 16 europa games so that will be a tough old schedule for us and you don't really want to be playing weakened prem teams out v those so to have another two decent players in our squad would be excellent.

There will be other busy months in the season like December if we have a decent FA cup run.

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

His worst time at Leicester was playing the Kamara role. He's better further forward as been seen for us

Agreed, but he's also better than mcginn in a deeper role because he's more comfortable moving the ball very quickly and playing it short.