January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We really do. Diaby, Bailey, Watkins, McGinn, Ramsey. They’re all good players in their own right, if not very good, it’s just they’re quite blood and thunder. They prefer running with the ball and trying to get in behind. Luiz and Tielemans are probably the only two where you think - ‘they might do something a little different here’ - and actually unlock a defence. I’m not saying the other players don’t, but like you say, the low block teams are tough to break down. 

We’re missing, dare I say it, a Coutinho type. Buendia is kinda that player but he’s weak, slow and loses the ball way too often. We need that no. 10 type. 

Yes we do miss Buendia we certainly don’t miss Coutinho 

• Like 3

On 17/12/2023 at 01:46, thabucks said:

@Kiwivillan we need a higher quality squad so if say Kamara’s form dips, or we actually manage to put multiple cup runs together as we just cannot expect the same XI every competition to be able to compete at the higher end. Fatigue, injuries, loss of form will play a part and we need like for like replacements. Plus competition for places raises standards. 

It see,s some people can’t get their heads round more than 11 players in a squad madness in this day and age. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes we do miss Buendia we certainly don’t miss Coutinho 

I think we do miss Buendia more than we realise, he used to score plenty forNorwich too. We have some good forwards but could do with someone that offers something different as a striker, a Gary Saw, Tony Morley or even a Brian Little would be great and offer something different when we’re attacking teams hard to break down. Zaniolo did great to score his first goal and perhaps now can with more confidence go on or score more but even his goal was a  classic cf goal and could be described as an Olly Watkins type of goal not anything different. I’m sure we’ll look to bring in a striker, surely Purslow and his daft projects haven’t spent the lot along with his old Scouse pal Stevie? It’s annoying  we had to let Archer go to free up FFP wages, how much is Coutinho still costing us and will we ever get a  return on him?  I have pals who are season ticket holders who support the delay in the new north stand as the atmosphere is great at the moment and having an end shut if we were competing in the CL would be a pity and wouldn’t help with the atmosphere. They say that the Terrace view is usually sold out and so can be seen as a success but moving it as part of the North Stand revamp would make sense and be a more appropriate location for this sort of gentrification. These are lads I’ve known for a long time and had my season ticket with them on the upper Holte for years before we I moved with my wife and daughter up to the Highlands and on practical grounds I reluctantly had to finally let my ticket go. Perhaps I was a jinkx, we seem to be doing better without me now! Sorry lads! I did have a ST for years not just in the Lerner days so it can’t have been just my fault! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Heard good things. Never watched him. 

11 goals and 16 assists in the MLS this season, plays attacking mid can go left or right side too. Beat Buendia for the World Cup squad but only got 1 brief sub cameo. Monchi and Emery will be very aware of him and he won’t cost European prices. Still only 22 turning 23 next summer.

Only concern is the quality jump from MLS to Premier League and whether he can manage that, but he’s been involved with the Argentine youth international set up and has 4 caps as a sub for the full team. 

If we can’t afford to drop £65M on Goncalves, this lad might be a bargain at £20-25M. 

• Like 2

Almada is known to anyone who plays FM but I'm the same never actually seen him play 

Terzic was linked heavily to dortmund yesterday, salzburg only signed him from fiorentina in the summer so can't see him being cheap

We have to have scouted salzburg though! Terzic, dourna gouath, Gloukh, konate, sukic, kjaergaard, dedic, pavlovic... Place is going to be a conveyor belt over the next couple of years 

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Almada is known to anyone who plays FM but I'm the same never actually seen him play 

Terzic was linked heavily to dortmund yesterday, salzburg only signed him from fiorentina in the summer so can't see him being cheap

We have to have scouted salzburg though! Terzic, dourna gouath, Gloukh, konate, sukic, kjaergaard, dedic, pavlovic... Place is going to be a conveyor belt over the next couple of years 

Scummy as the Red Bull club system might be the Red Bull Salzburg scouting system is really impressive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Scummy as the Red Bull club system might be the Red Bull Salzburg scouting system is really impressive.

Yeah I'm not sure how many make the very very top level (the Hungarian at Liverpool, the striker at dortmund hasn't done much yet) 

Also not entirely sure on Austrian reserve football and how the whole liefering thing works as their second divisionnfeeder club - mellbergs son is currently there 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah I'm not sure how many make the very very top level (the Hungarian at Liverpool, the striker at dortmund hasn't done much yet) 

Also not entirely sure on Austrian reserve football and how the whole liefering thing works as their second divisionnfeeder club - mellbergs son is currently there 

That Haaland fella was doing OK last season at least :D. Pretty amazing gathering of players that have passed through that club in the last 7-8 years.

Leeds seem to have gone all in on them last season. Didn't really pan out in the short term at least. £55m worth of players and all 3 out on loan this season.

Almada would be the closest to a classic 10 in our squad, similar to Buendia but arguably a bit more technical while being much less aggressive off the ball. He does essentially no defensive work whatsoever for Atlanta, as he's often been the main outlet for attacking play. Whether he can add that to his game is a major question, as he won't be able to get away with just waiting around for the ball to come to him in the Prem. He'd be great to have against low blocks, though, as he can play through tight spaces with both dribbling and passing and shoot from range effectively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2