Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Hibernian

limpid

Match Polls  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/23 at 22:59

Seb Revan take a bow. What a night for him. And Kellyman obviously caught the eye. Lovely to see a bit more of Duran and glad he took his chance with a goal. Great result. Into the draw for the groups. Luiz POTM for me and shout out to Bailey who also did well I thought.

Villa were in second gear against them in the first leg....

At Villa Park it was first gear...

Some bright sparks in Kellyman, Jhon Durán and Revan showed some good pace if not a little inexperienced.

I watched the match on Villa TV and it sounded as though there were no Villa fans in attendance, the crowd seemed really poor. In contrast the away fans were good, although probably all pi***ed; very funny that Villa scored during their rendition of Flower of Scotland. 🤫 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Respect to the Hibs fans. Sang non stop and applauded their players at the end. It’s a shame Scotland football has declined so much because they have some great supporters.

The Hibs fans last night where absolutely phenomenal. I enjoyed watching them for most parts of the game, - was actually tempted to join them at one stage.

13 hours ago, Hibsfan said:

Fwiw this is a terrible Hibs team, hence why we sacked the manger.  I’d have liked us to have played a poor premiership team while we were at our best.  As it turns out though, we played a really excellent side while we were struggling.  If we had a good side just now you would have just moved into second gear and the outcome would have been the same.  No bitterness from my end, just the realities of our situations when you have so much more money than us.

best of luck for the rest of the season, I’ll be supporting you as the season goes on.

PS. loved seeing John MCGinn again, what a player he’s turned into!

cheers

4 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Well done Villa and good luck in the rest of the competition. Still remember my time at Rotterdam in '82 so hope the present day supporters can get that feeling as John McGinn lifts the trophy 🤞.

This tie was only ever going to be the icing on the cake having somehow beaten Luzern. We never expected anything else but a drubbing against a top ranked side in the Premier League. I read  comments about shit Scottish football, Hibs are shit etc etc in the game thread which is always harsh as everything is relative. When you have a half a billion pound squad playing 12 million there is going to be such a gulf between the two sides. Scottish fans are under no illusion as to the standard up here but it still produces  competitive Leagues ( excluding the uglies of course) and I still say I have had my best supporting moments up here ( including Rotterdam '82 which was surpassed by May 2016) 

It was only ever going to be a jolly and there are not many sets of fans that would have filled the away end and sung all night despite being 8 . 0 down. You are privileged to have heard Sunshine On Leith sung during a game (even I've never heard it ) as it is only ever played after a game after an important win.

I hope you saw some of the passion from our supporters who despite being outclassed by Villa,  managerless,  bottom of the League, a poor squad etc etc travelled down to support"The Club" and goes to show that players and managers come and go but the fans are always there ............."if you know your history.........."

You've been great opponents and fans over both legs, very welcoming and equally a joy to host too!  👍

I've not seen a set of away fans that passionate for 90 mins at Villa Park for a long long time - especially to fill your allocation and already 5-0 down. What an absolute joy you's were. Flew the flag proud for Scotland last night.  👏

I hope the new boss sorts it out for you and gets you back up the table this season. One consolation atleast - no more Lee Johnson!   ;)

Thanks for a memorable tie!

• Like 3

I felt sorry for the Hibs fans, who to their credit turned up in terrific numbers, and I watched a few fans YT around the first leg and was surpised that they have a big young following - quite the family club. But the draw was such a mis-match and was hiding to nothing, but they were a credit to themselves and Sunshine on Leith has rarely sounded better (I bought that Proclaimers album back in the day!).

Thought Kellyman was great, what a player he could become; delighted by Duran and thought Revan was absolutely solid and trustworthy. Thought we were sticky during the first 10 minutes, but it was plain sailing thereafter. Was a little surprised that Tielemans didnt have more of an impact, and was also surprised at Dendonker who I thought looked totally comfortable and on-message in the midfield. And whilst I was dissapointed Duran didnt get 90 minutes, I did note how reassuring Watkins is in this side, he knows his role well and is a busy, physical presence, if he could only a few more chances into goals he would be the perfect striker.

At odds of 5/1 as the eventual winners, I think I am going to take a punt on us.

23 hours ago, Hibsfan said:

I’d have liked us to have played a poor premiership team while we were at our best.  As it turns out though, we played a really excellent side while we were struggling.  

Don't be too down. If we know one thing it's that if you've had a total non entity of a manager in charge a new man can come in and completely change things around and quickly. 

Hope you get a decent manager in👍

What impressed me more about the Hibs fans more so than the singing and being loud which was expected imo , was the behaviour of their fans. I honestly thought there might be a bit of trouble wether it be organised or just pissed up fans being dicks. Didn’t see one Hibs fan who I thought was acting up. Can you imagine if that was Rangers or Celtic ? Especially Rangers , Thousands would have showed up without tickets and it would have been a nightmare for the police. Credit to their club Hibs are, but I will admit I’ve always preferred Hearts who were part of the reason or fully the reason we where Claret if I’m correct with my history. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What impressed me more about the Hibs fans more so than the singing and being loud which was expected imo , was the behaviour of their fans. I honestly thought there might be a bit of trouble wether it be organised or just pissed up fans being dicks. Didn’t see one Hibs fan who I thought was acting up. Can you imagine if that was Rangers or Celtic ? Especially Rangers , Thousands would have showed up without tickets and it would have been a nightmare for the police. Credit to their club Hibs are, but I will admit I’ve always preferred Hearts who were part of the reason or fully the reason we where Claret if I’m correct with my history. 

Correct Rugeley, William McGregor who was from Perthshire before moving to Birmingham and becoming involved as a director etc of Aston Villa chose  the colours of Hearts for the body and supposedly  a nod to Glasgow Rangers for the blue sleeves. The rampant lion of Scotland was then chosen for the club badge.

Both Glasgow Rangers ( now The Rangers) and Villa have the rampant lion on their crest with the mottos "Prepared" for Villa and "Ready" for the Rangers.

Both Hearts and Villa were formed in 1874 and originally Hearts played in all white with a maroon heart badge. They then changed to red white and blue hoops and there is a story that after one washing of the kits the colours all ran and the end product was maroon..................true or an urban myth, I don't know!

When I came up to Edinburgh in 1974 this history was the reason I chose the green of Hibs as opposed to the maroon of Hearts as I didn't want to support a different side playing in the colours of my Villa.

I'll let you off for preferring the JTs 🤣

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â