Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Hibernian

limpid

Match Polls  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/09/23 at 22:59

5 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Just got back, it was the strangest atmosphere, game was played at the intensity of a friendly and that really translated to the stands.

Bit of a shame considering it was the first home European game for over a decade, but I guess that's what happens when you're 5-0 up from the first leg against a team that is always going to struggle to make it competitive.

Agreed, was really strange, bit disappointed as it was my lads first European game as he's only 10, but like you say it was probably never going to be an electric atmosphere when it was pretty much a dead rubber

Nice win, barely got out of 2nd gear

Excellent away support, didn't stop

Similar to above, after telling my lad that euro nights at VP are different to normal games he said is it because it's quieter, I laughed.

I know we'd already won but very very quiet. 

Highlight was watching a bloke trying to climb over barriers and falling backwards and then having another go, he made it in then end and got a small cheer

Just now, Hibsfan said:

Really enjoyed both our games,  Villa on a different stratosphere to Hibs so shame it wasn’t a competitive tie but I still enjoyed it.

fwiw this is a terrible Hibs team, hence why we sacked the manger.  I’d have liked us to have played a poor premiership team while we were at our best.  As it turns out though, we played a really excellent side while we were struggling.  If we had a good side just now you would have just moved into second gear and the outcome would have been the same.  No bitterness from my end, just the realities of our situations when you have so much more money than us.

best of luck for the rest of the season, I’ll be supporting you as the season goes on.

PS. loved seeing John MCGinn again, what a player he’s turned into!

cheers

Hibs fans were best I’ve heard at Villa park in many a year. Left me with a smile on my face and wanting to put together an album of great football songs from around the world.

If anyone knows of one that already exists let me know. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Hibsfan said:

Really enjoyed both our games,  Villa on a different stratosphere to Hibs so shame it wasn’t a competitive tie but I still enjoyed it.

fwiw this is a terrible Hibs team, hence why we sacked the manger.  I’d have liked us to have played a poor premiership team while we were at our best.  As it turns out though, we played a really excellent side while we were struggling.  If we had a good side just now you would have just moved into second gear and the outcome would have been the same.  No bitterness from my end, just the realities of our situations when you have so much more money than us.

best of luck for the rest of the season, I’ll be supporting you as the season goes on.

PS. loved seeing John MCGinn again, what a player he’s turned into!

cheers

I filmed your fans at the end. Most of ours had gone home 😂 Good on you. Enjoy the night out in Brum.

Managed the game well and didn’t really break much of a sweat. Fair play to Hibs for giving it a go and for their fans’ excellent support.

Great for Duran’s confidence to score on his first start, could have given the motm award to either of the kids but opted for Revan because I thought he grew into the game really well and was still going strong at the end. Olsen did pretty well and will be buoyed with the clean sheet. 

Can’t wait to see who we get tomorrow.

Didn't have to get out of first gear tonight, I thought Duran was decent up front in a comfortable win.

The Hibs fans did their team proud tonight, made plenty of noise with a good rendition of sunshine on Leith.

Noticed Traore wasn't on the bench, is he injured or is he off?

Looking forward to the draw now

Routine win against a demoralized opposition on a hiding to nothing. Not much to take from the game but a good goal by Duran and Kellyman looked lively.

Hibs were all over the place and I actually wanted them to get a goal for their fans, on an evening when the Scottish teams had a collective score of 10-1.

A useless piece of trivia I believe tonight's attendance is the biggest crowd for a European match at Villa Park since the 21st of August 2002 when Villa beat Basel 4-1 in front of 39,593 in the Intertoto cup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Gave Olsen motm. His commitment was everything this team is now all about. There's a swagger about us, but it's disciplined. Its really exciting when you think what this squad may be capable of. We should have no fear about going there Sunday.

Same here. I honestly would have accepted even worse from Olsen and still been pleased by his obvious efforts to improve. It’s sort of … poignant?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Same here. I honestly would have accepted even worse from Olsen and still been pleased by his obvious efforts to improve. It’s sort of … poignant?

Same here too. In reality, it was very much a team performance ... men-of-the-match

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Great debut for kellyman

If konsa had played the 90 I'd have been tempted to give him MOTM, maybe cash the same but went with bailey

No problem with the line up, good to give these guys an easy European night experience

Marshall in goal was terrible bar that one great save, saved the hardest shot of the night and fluffed everything else

Expecting a couple of similar games in the group

Edit - thought the ref was decent too, consistent which is what you want, left his cards in the dressing room and didn't give much, almost the opposite of what you'd expect in europe

Pretty sure it was Zaniolo in goal. 

Â