Clément Lenglet

Tom13

Honestly my opinion has changed on him..

To try and replicate what Pau can do is difficult.

He is a trusted and reliable member of our squad and he has proved this.

He is comfortable on the ball and has decent distribution.

He brings balance to our defence and he is very versatile tactically!

Last weekend he played alongside Pau on the right side & he held his own..

• Like 2

I thought he was actually quite crucial after it was 2-2, everyone was losing their heads and punting it long, he was getting the ball and keeping hold of it, bringing into the final 3rd a couple of times and finding a pass.  I can't remember the first goal that much, I thought Luton's set pieces were targeting the far post and not really his area.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Our defense was on its arse, and he was a big part of it, against one of the worst teams in the division

Just on the second part of this, it’s worth noting that while Luton are not winning enough games, off the top of my head I can remember them scoring 4 past Newcastle, 4 past Brighton, 2 past Man City, 3 past Arsenal just in the last few weeks. Conceding a couple of goals against them was not unexpected - whether or not Lenglet played.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As much as I love Mings, the idea that he's gonna come back firing on all cylinders is naive. And as stated, of all our center halves he's the only one who can really replicate what Pau does for us moving the ball up the pitch. If the wages are reasonable it's a no brainer. That's a big If, though.

• Like 2

On 02/03/2024 at 20:50, The_Steve said:

Felt he had a great first half. Handled their crosses mostly - my criticism is he's giving away too many corners.

Not sure how his English it but I think him and Emi have communication issues amd yesterday wasnt first time. He put one out before they scored that Emi called and he wasnt happy

We're very lucky to have him currently. Unai's playbook needs a player like him out there. When Pau's fit, it's him. Other times it's Lenglet. Konsa or Carlos aren't able to play that role.

Watching yesterday and seeing how quickly Luton would press on him and Moreno i was getting the jitters but they dealt with it brilliantly.  Barely an aimless clearance first half. Different second as they came on strong but the first half showed me that he is plenty good enough without being outstanding at anything

We are used to defenders with one outstanidng trait. Mings heading Konsa recovery, pau passing, . Lenglet is good enough at all of them without standing out . In essence the perfect 3rd /4th cb 

Would love to make him permanent in the Summer and sell Carlos. However, I’m sure we won’t as Mings will be cover for Torres and if we ship Carlos out, we’ll need a right footed player to cover Konsa. 

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would love to make him permanent in the Summer and sell Carlos. However, I’m sure we won’t as Mings will be cover for Torres and if we ship Carlos out, we’ll need a right footed player to cover Konsa. 

Why though we are conceding goals and  chances without Carlos. Arguably our two best defensive performances this season was man city and Arsensl. Top opposition in which Carlos was brilliant in both.

Yesterday the defence were really poor especially from corners and set pieces. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Why when we are up against it and under pressure do people look to blame individuals or the team as a whole and ignore the fact the opposition might deserve some credit for doing something well. Yes our defence didn’t look great second half but nor did Man Cities, Newcastle and Arsenals when they were conceding against the same kind of onslaught from wide areas. Lenglet doesn’t deserve the comments from some on here, he knows he is back up, but never gives less than 100% when called upon and is almost certainly the best 4/5 th choice centre back in the league. We don’t have this kind of depth in any other position.

Edited by smg
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, PaulC said:

Why though we are conceding goals and  chances without Carlos. Arguably our two best defensive performances this season was man city and Arsensl. Top opposition in which Carlos was brilliant in both.

Yesterday the defence were really poor especially from corners and set pieces. 

Why have you just taken two games as examples of when Carlos was playing? We were flying at that period, both were home games. I'm fairly certain we've had some ropey away performances with Carlos involved - Man Utd away for one! Luton away they will bombard you.

Best defence IMO is when we have Pau and Carlos together with konsa as right back (who basically becomes a third centre half as the left back pushes up)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Why have you just taken two games as examples of when Carlos was playing? We were flying at that period, both were home games. I'm fairly certain we've had some ropey away performances with Carlos involved - Man Utd away for one! Luton away they will bombard you.

Well it's two clean sheets against two of the three best teams in the league that's  why. And Carlos didn't give Haaland a sniff. Not saying Lenglett hasn't come and done a great job but we look more vulnerable defensively. Look at the corner where the first goal came from. Martinez being indesive with Lenglett. Not for the first time. Lenglett also played in that united defeat.  Pau and Carlos looked better together imo.

54 minutes ago, smg said:

Why when we are up against it and under pressure do people look to blame individuals or the team as a whole and ignore the fact the opposition might deserve some credit for doing something well. Yes our defence didn’t look great second half but nor did Man Cities, Newcastle and Arsenals when they were conceding against the same kind of onslaught from wide areas. Lenglet doesn’t deserve the comments from some on here, he knows he is back up, but never gives less than 100% when called upon and is almost certainly the best 4/5 th centre back in the league. We don’t have this kind of depth in any other position.

Because some individuals/posters just live to moan and bitch about anything. Thankfully I think most of them don't actually attend matches. Same on Sat, the match thread was horrendous, bordering on embarrassing.

We've been punching above our weight all season when only the most optimistic would've punted on us being in the top 4 at the start of the season. and that's because every player in the squad has in someway contributed to a pretty amazing team effort in someway or another, including Lenglet. Regardless of what happens now, the squad as a whole have been nothing short of fantastic, but for some it will never be enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â