Clément Lenglet

Tom13

I think their goal both Martinez and Lenglet were equally to blame having looked at it again but like others said had a very good game and looked better on the right because we had Torres back playing. 

It's not on him but i still think I want him to do better, mings for example I think is reading that martinez isn't getting there 1st and taking over or like lenglet tried to do at the end I think mings is stepping across the ball and man meaning he can't get to it 

I dont like using the word "mistake" because that's an unfair word for what happened but he can do more 

Edit - I loved it 5 minutes later though when he took a goal kick down on his chest beating his man and played a simple 5 yard ball to a team mate, cool as a cucumber 

Edited by villa4europe

Genuinally think Pau Torres could make me look good if I played next to him, but Lenglet was very good yesterday regardless.

He's actually been a very good loan signing for us this season, and been hugely reliable when we've needed him. As for signing him, Mings is going to be back next season to take the position back; there's probably a fair argument to say Lenglet's better than Carlos but for the cost of his wages there are better 4th choice centre backs out there.

• Like 2

On 17/02/2024 at 15:32, Pongo Waring said:

What error?
That was Emi Martinez's Error

Don’t really believe in blaming one player personally. Martinez could have claimed it. Lenglet could have got rid of it. I’ve played in defence and in goal - sometimes, whatever the shout, you use your judgment and deal with the situation. So I’m not really interested in whose “fault” it was - my point was, apart from that one (collective) error, Lenglet looked better on the right than he has on the left to me! I’d be fine with him and Pau next game - which is lucky, as I don’t think anyone else is fit…

• Like 2

Martinez said it was on him. Cash could have done better, Lenglet could have done better, Martinez could have. Its just one of those things. I'm impressed with Lenglet to be honest.
And thank God we have him. Please let him and Pau stay fit for the run in now.

For me the goal was on Lenglet. He could have put his foot through it very easily. Row Z problem solved. He chose not to do that. The striker won a race he was 2nd favourite to. Martinez OTOH was always second favourite to the striker in that race. And he lost. It's nice of Emi to say it's on him, but that ball was Lenglet's to decide what to do, and he chose weakly. Other than that he was very good, I agree. And he has been vital to us recently with our 'luck' with injuries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

For me the goal was on Lenglet. He could have put his foot through it very easily. Row Z problem solved. He chose not to do that. The striker won a race he was 2nd favourite to. Martinez OTOH was always second favourite to the striker in that race. And he lost. It's nice of Emi to say it's on him, but that ball was Lenglet's to decide what to do, and he chose weakly. Other than that he was very good, I agree. And he has been vital to us recently with our 'luck' with injuries.

So Emi says its his fault but somehow you are trying to blame Lenglet? It was a communication issue.

I was surprised at how much more comfortable he seemed to be in the middle/right of the backline. Seemed more assured with his passing too. Maybe the Pau effect?

• Like 1

Just now, Anything11 said:

So Emi says its his fault but somehow you are trying to blame Lenglet? It was a communication issue.

I was surprised at how much more comfortable he seemed to be in the middle/right of the backline. Seemed more assured with his passing too. Maybe the Pau effect?

It probably was a communication issue, but in that situation the centre back sometimes has to take command and get rid of the danger. He allowed Emi to take command when Emi was 3rd favourite to that ball. Which is why I think Lenglet chose weakly. He deferred to someone in a worse position and we conceded a goal from it. Had he put his boot through it, as he was closest to the ball, then we wouldn't have conceded the goal.

On 18/02/2024 at 09:44, tomav84 said:

great to see pau back, but lenglet was the better CB yesterday i thought. absolutely fantastic display.

Better cb in terms of defensive actions? Maybe. 

But without Pau, we aren't scoring that second goal. As has been the constant issue during his injury, we don't create the big openings without him.  No other defender we have can do what he does to create space for our midfield, allowing them to find our forwards quickly before the defence is set. 

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

It probably was a communication issue, but in that situation the centre back sometimes has to take command and get rid of the danger. He allowed Emi to take command when Emi was 3rd favourite to that ball. Which is why I think Lenglet chose weakly. He deferred to someone in a worse position and we conceded a goal from it. Had he put his boot through it, as he was closest to the ball, then we wouldn't have conceded the goal.

Emi has a better view of the whole situation as Lenglet is running toward goal with no vision of what is behind him. Thats why balls in behind and "turning the defender" is so dangerous. Its Emi's box and his responsibility. Completely disagree.

The only thing Lenglet should have done better is shield the attacker from getting to the ball. He makes a poor effort at it.

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

If Lenglet puts his foot through it he's also going through Emi's head.

Lenglet would get into most Premier League sides and he’s very much a ball playing centre back it’s just that Pau plays that position at level of quality unreachable to most . Only a handful of teams in the PL play the risky possession based football similar to what we do. At a team like Man Utd who don’t really play big club football he would thrive and the likes of Gary Neville would be calling him the best ball playing defender in the league.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The thing is Lenglet is left-footed, facing his own goal and that cross from our right would have to be cleared with his weaker right foot, so it's not quite as simple as 'put your foot through it' because it's very easy to get it wrong and slice it into your own net. If Emi has called for it then Lenglet was probably happy for him to take charge of that particular situation. It's a situation I expect other teams to try and exploit with us having two left-footed center backs, low crosses from the right are going to cause us issues.

I think if Emi leaves his line in that situation he has to clear out everything, ball, forward, defender, whatever, but he's misread it slightly and doesn't get there. Lenglet I think should be trying to lean in and put off the forward more, even if Emi has called for it, and Cash should also do better to stop the cross.

So, I don't think the blame should fall onto one individual, but it is a situation we need to be wary of as I think we'll be tested with it more going forward.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
  • Like 1

If a CB lets a striker get goal side of him then the CB screwed up. Emi was slow to come out and then took a terrible angle in the process. Cash got done for pace and should have cut out the cross, putting it out for a throw or corner. As with most goals conceded there was a compounding error that led to a striker getting a tap in on an open net. Good on Emi to take the blame. 

Just shows Emi to be the leader that he is in defense. He knows that Clement is on his 3rd team in 3 years. Probably struggling with some confidence issues there. He needs Clement focused and not arguing over who messed up on a non-consequential goal. 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

As a goalkeeper I will say the goal is 100% on Emi, he misjudged the cross. 

It happens. 

Let's move on. 

emi even admitted as such in his post match. took 100% ownership of it.

• Like 1

I think Emi thought that the ball was coming across faster and closer than it was and shouted mine early.

But it ended up being way slower and Emi was never going to reach it in time. If you look at where Muniz gets the touch, it's outside of the 6 yard box. That's hard to cover on the ground.

Lenglet probably deputized the call to Emi given that Muniz was behind him and Emi had a better view of the situation.

Wrong call by Emi but, also, Lenglet could have done better at least shielding Muniz and recognizing the ball path. Just because the keeper calls for it doesn't absolve Lenglet of all responsibility. At the minimum, he could have looked over his shoulder for Muniz and blocked his path.

Â