Clément Lenglet

Tom13

He might be used as a rotation option, particularly against inferior European opposition (if we get through tomorrow) but I doubt he will start a lot of games. 

The way I look at it is last year we had Bednarek and this season we have Lenglet as CB cover. It's not the end of the world but our squad options are immediately stronger. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I have no idea why it would be very silly. Barca in a financial mess, we alleviate 75% of a players wages for them for a season.

Costs us about £7-8m to have a good defender for a season as cover for Mings.

Everyone wins. 

Taking it in isolation, I agree with you. 

However, the reason I say silly is because no doubt at all Ollie's rotter agent will say something like... "My client will have £10m a year on his new contract please. What do you mean that's too much? You're paying two reserves £8m here. This is your star striker who's played 100% of games for you in the last 4 years. Cough up or we'll head elsewhere and get that easily."

I mean, he'll probably be asking for that anyway to be honest. But Villa don't have much of a negotiating position the more non-essential players we've got hanging around on huge money.

Then it happens with Luiz, then Buendia, then Kamara etc etc...

Football is a right mess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Taking it in isolation, I agree with you. 

However, the reason I say silly is because no doubt at all Ollie's rotter agent will say something like... "My client will have £10m a year on his new contract please. What do you mean that's too much? You're paying two reserves £8m here. This is your star striker who's played 100% of games for you in the last 4 years. Cough up or we'll head elsewhere and get that easily."

I mean, he'll probably be asking for that anyway to be honest. But Villa don't have much of a negotiating position the more non-essential players we've got hanging around on huge money.

Then it happens with Luiz, then Buendia, then Kamara etc etc...

Football is a right mess.

Villa can say to that "we're only paying him that much for a year and it offsets the loan fee we would have had to pay otherwise". Don't think players or agents care about what loanees earn, as you can just think of it as paying the parent club if you wanted to.

55 minutes ago, juteface said:

Decent player, I don't think anyone can honestly use performances at Spurs as a reasonable measurement considering the absolute car crash of a season the entire club had.

You’re going to have to narrow that down a bit, it’s Spurs you’re talking about!

46 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Villa can say to that "we're only paying him that much for a year and it offsets the loan fee we would have had to pay otherwise". Don't think players or agents care about what loanees earn, as you can just think of it as paying the parent club if you wanted to.

Yep, I imagine that's how we've done it.

Barca can book it however they want and mouth off to everyone one of their PR journalists.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I thought we were done with writing off players before they arrived? Emery can get a tune out of anyone. I trust anything and everything he does. 

Right, I assume he is coming in as a fourth choice rotation option (especially as no option to buy) but as we keep saying: Emery’s style is often to sign ‘flops’ and make them amazing. He has a much better record doing that then when he has spent £50m+ on a player!

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Actually not the case - often the loaned player will get a little something extra. It’s controversial as one club might say to another “we can’t afford X loan fee” and at the same time be offering the player £10k extra per week which could instead be £500k on a loan fee... All very strange structures vs normal employment!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I wonder whether Christian Bale might  play John McGinn.  His biggest method acting challenge yet

Can't wait for the uproar from the large arsed Scot community when he has to don some prosthetic buttocks.

Â