Drugs in football

jimmygreaves

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

With the amount he’s actually played in recent years he could argue he’s already served his ban 😂

Fortunately for him he’s a multimillionaire so that’ll soften the blow a bit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pogba given a 4 year ban for testing positive for a banned substance 

No doubt orchestrated by Juventus to try to get insurance money back on their terrible investment in him. If it was one of their other players the necessary steps would have been taken to ensure there was no positive test. 

• Like 1

Have a feeling Juventus planted this, he has offered them nothing since re-signing and has a huge wage. Considering Juve have successfully avoided stronger drug allegations in the past

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

His dealer - he’s not been the best advert for performance enhancing drugs has he? 😬

I kinda suspect that there are an enormous amount of footballers who are doped to the gills - at the highest level I really wouldn't be surprised if it's just about everybody.

I think Pogba might be guilty of upsetting the wrong Italian somewhere and I would imagine there are a fair few footballers being a bit nicer to their owners and chairmen this morning.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I kinda suspect that there are an enormous amount of footballers who are doped to the gills - at the highest level I really wouldn't be surprised if it's just about everybody.

I think Pogba might be guilty of upsetting the wrong Italian somewhere and I would imagine there are a fair few footballers being a bit nicer to their owners and chairmen this morning.

Doping is simply about using the drugs that aren't banned yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Doping is simply about using the drugs that aren't banned yet. 

And the list comes out once a year 

The pharmaceutical industry moves faster than the anti doping one, thats the reality of it 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Correct assumption. It has just taken a while for the premier league to catch up to Spain and Italy where doping has been rampant for decades.

I bet United can’t believe their luck, they offered him a new £200k/w contract at the last minute but he chose Juve. 

(Assumes Juve were not complicit in this)

It's actually shocking how top-flight footballers only test positive for drugs when their club wants rid of them.

We're in NFL type territory here where it's just an accepted part of the game.

My guess is that injury recovery is the main weak spot for doping in football, although EPO / blood doping would also be highly effective.

• Like 3

I wonder, how much do performance enhancing drugs help in football? Unlike athletics, swimming or cycling, football is a bit more dimentional; it's not about an effort to push in the last 20mins of a multi-hour race or a singular power effort, it's about deciding where to pass and turning to make a run to intercept a ball that you estimate will land in a specific place.

Slower players can be better than faster ones. 

Less athletic can out-wit the bigger players.

Does doping have an affect on football performance? Maybe in terms of stamina and longevity? 

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I wonder, how much do performance enhancing drugs help in football? Unlike athletics, swimming or cycling, football is a bit more dimentional; it's not about an effort to push in the last 20mins of a multi-hour race or a singular power effort, it's about deciding where to pass and turning to make a run to intercept a ball that you estimate will land in a specific place.

Does doping have an affect on football performance? Maybe in terms of stamina and longevity? 

In the past there were a lot of rumours on AC Milan and doping with all of their aging superstars playing forever and not getting bad injuries.

28 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The answer to this is blindingly obvious. It's a physical sport with very high speed and stamina requirements, and it's played over a long, gruelling season where recovery between matches is very important.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Correct assumption. It has just taken a while for the premier league to catch up to Spain and Italy where doping has been rampant for decades.

and in Holland ! Remember when we played Royal Antwerp? Villa were pretty fit under the Saunders regime but Charlie Aitken said he had never seen 'his' winger with so much pace. A good mate who was in a semi pro cycling team (sadly a Wolves fan) confimed it was rife overthere. Then it would ahve been amphets - Pervitin etc - now probably EPO or testosterone.

• Like 1

There’s lots of incredibly dumb footballers out there, and if everyone was juiced to the gills I struggle to believe someone wouldn’t have said something incriminating (accidentally or otherwise).

Like, wouldn’t some lower league clubs who can’t afford a sophisticated doping operation have a massive incentive to dig up dirt on their richer rivals who can? Etc?

Â