Drugs in football

jimmygreaves

On 27/08/2023 at 23:18, StewieGriffin said:

I am know wondering whether this is the real reason he chose to stay at that team (who had a meteoric rise through the divisions) - as in reality the only jobs available would be the ones with a similar will to take such a route. And ultimately he was not taking any job - until the next job, where the owners seem the sort to do anything to win and spend any amount of money to ensure that this happens as fast as possible.

Same goes for another manager, who has only managed at a Catalan club who have in all likelihood been doping since the Cruyff 'revolution' (it is interesting that Dr Ramon Segura, who was the trusted doctor that provided Pep with "multivitamins" at Brescia, where he received his ban for steroids, then became the club doctor at Barcelona during his stint there). Then he managed at a German club who are capable of producing athletic players like few other clubs ever do - and have done for a long time now. And then a Manchester club - who again will spend any amount of money to win and have a habit of picking up signings that have an unusually high rate of becoming the real deal. 

It makes sense to me that there are a group of managers who are known to be open to such tactics, and are then sought by clubs who wish to proceed down such a route. 

The strange thing is that they are touted as geniuses, yet when they speak they never speak with the quality that a truly intelligent person has, and a cult of personality seems to be built around them.

Edited by Seal
  • Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 18:22, sidcow said:

It's unbelievable the amount of top athletes who have asthma. Taken as the same proportion as the general public it seems you are 10 times more likely to suffer from asthma if you're a professional sportsman. 

Very strange, almost too coincidental you might say. 

Exercise induced asthma is a thing, and is actually fairly common amongst professional athletes particularly those who train at altitude (pretty much every pro runner and cyclist). I don't doubt there are many athletes using this to their advantage but that's not to say it isn't a real issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I do wonder whether this might be a possible reason for players never playing as well for England.

Foden was the one I was thinking of watching at the weekend. Never feel he is as good for England as at City.

But then you could go back through others, Lampard, Gerrard etc, John Barnes? I think there are loads.

On 28/08/2023 at 09:19, Seal said:

Someone on here, apologies for not remembering who, as it is not I that deserves the credit for this observation, noted that cocaine is rife amongst premier league players, and also a banned substance, yet no-one is ever banned for taking cocaine. Unless there is an agreement that such bans are painted as injuries. 

This fact very much says that drug tests are either not a thing, or a charade. 

Furthermore I would assume that drug cheating is more than often a step ahead of drug testing. 

Adrian Mutu was banned for 9 months for taking coke

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

There is far far too much money in football for people to not be cheating.

It's not even well hidden, you can see the sides who do it.

Toon toon.

Yeah agreed. They were awful in those first few months of the season before last. Howe comes in and they still struggled. They then went on a training camp in Saudi Arabia, and came back as absolute animals. I’ve no doubt they’re at it. 

1 hour ago, LondonVillian said:

Adrian Mutu was banned for 9 months for taking coke

Chelsea probably stitched him up as they wanted rid of him because he was so bad. I'd say usually the players are tipped off when the testing lads are in. 

• Like 1

On 28/08/2023 at 09:19, Seal said:

Someone on here, apologies for not remembering who, as it is not I that deserves the credit for this observation, noted that cocaine is rife amongst premier league players, and also a banned substance, yet no-one is ever banned for taking cocaine. Unless there is an agreement that such bans are painted as injuries. 

This fact very much says that drug tests are either not a thing, or a charade. 

Furthermore I would assume that drug cheating is more than often a step ahead of drug testing. 

It may have been me? I used to live with a professional footballer for eighteen months, they were all at it. I'd said it in the Grealish thread, I'm sure he's a Coke fiend.

Women, ecstasy and Coke (lots of it).

History has shown some rather high profile players hooked on drugs from alcohol to Cocaine.

Even one of the very best In Diego Armando Maradona was hooked for years...

Just now, sne said:

Different type of drug but Pogba has been busted for doping. Potential 4 year ban if the b-test is also positive.

Juventus...

Juventus have definitely planted that. Anything to get that overpaid chancer out the door

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Juventus have definitely planted that. Anything to get that overpaid chancer out the door

First thing I thought of. The club doctor was probably the one giving him the Testosterone, along with the rest of the squad. Just told the tester that they usually pay off that he could catch Pogba this time.

Edited by villa89

Testosterone is a gray area imo.

Some people may have lowered testosterone levels, and use Testosterone aids to bring them back to " healthy " and/or optimal levels. ( To level the playing field? )

You can see why this would be key, especially for athletes.

* In reference to Pogba

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Pogba given a 4 year ban for testing positive for a banned substance 

With the amount he’s actually played in recent years he could argue he’s already served his ban 😂

• Haha 1

Â