Drugs in football

jimmygreaves

Seen a few people posting things about certain clubs possibly making use of non-ethical performance enhancing techniques.

Just wondering what the alleged stories might be. There are some teams who seem to just run and run. The Bielsa Leeds team for example. Is this just down to effective training or is it something else. Wouldn't be surprised if drug testing agencies were persuaded to look the other way on occasion with the amount of money floating about at the top levels of football.

The Sky cycling team were rumoured to be doing something. Several reports of cyclists with asthma allowed certain supplements to improve fitness.

Just curious to see what people's perspectives are.

Edited by jimmygreaves

Something like 80% of Liverpool's title winning team have such bad asthma they require inhalers. Inhalers obviously open your airway and allow you to intake more oxygen. I think the poor darlings must have been suffering so badly putting in such extreme levels of endurance and energy every match despite being so badly asthmatic. They should be knighted, what an inspiration they are to asthma sufferers and people with chronic lung conditions everywhere. 

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

Something like 80% of Liverpool's title winning team have such bad asthma they require inhalers. Inhalers obviously open your airway and allow you to intake more oxygen. I think the poor darlings must have been suffering so badly putting in such extreme levels of endurance and energy every match despite being so badly asthmatic. They should be knighted, what an inspiration they are to asthma sufferers and people with chronic lung conditions everywhere. 

Yeah, seen a few articles that talk about the performance enhancement of athletes that don't have diagnosed asthma who use Salbutamol inhalers. Genuine concern from WADA about this.

Their manager at the time now manages another team, who've had a massive upswing in results since his appointment

Bournemouth charged by FA for allegedly breaching anti-doping rules

This article is more than 6 years old

Charges relate to failure to provide correct whereabouts of players
Bournemouth expected to face similar FA fine to Manchester City

• Like 2

Personally I think that it PEDS really started with the dutch players of cruyffs era. The Barcelona Cruyff revolution was founded on this and I think that it continued into the noughties at that club. A certain superstar managers career ended basically due to being caught taking nandrolone. Although he was  For my money there are a number of managers who are known to be 'ok' with doping, and have a personality cult built around them, and move to clubs open to doping. 

A clue is teams that play the high and intense press. This is a tactic that when you have the athletic edge, you will basically be able to run teams off the pitch if not straight away then certainly going into the latter stages.

I am pretty sure it is going with a few clubs in the prem at the minute. Probably the obvious ones. 

• Like 3

Pep's history makes anything he does suspect.

The resurgence of Liverpool is heavily implied to be related to players with asthma.

I recall seeing a picture of one of the Leicester players from their title winning team training who had veins bursting out of his calves that would shame a roided up body builders biceps, and wondering if that was natural. Players in that side also seemed to get faster as they got older.

It's going to be very common in the league. The requirements of playing the type of game that many clubs do, for the top teams expecting that for 60 games a season for their core players, it's not viable. There's going to be a lot of enhanced players.

There is a good point as well that testing is so lax generally because of the 'product'. The same has been said about many of the top tennis players in the world, drug testing is massively signposted and uncommon as if one of the ATG's got banned it would ruin the whole sport. Even though you have certain players notorious for fatigue issues and withdrawals from matches suddenly outlasting everyone else on tour after going 'gluten free'.

Just take England as an example, you have how many pro footballers playing every Saturday? Yet nobody ever tests positive for anything. The law of averages means that at least a few would test positive for something but nobody does. It's bad for business to catch doping so FIFA have a no look policy. Doping is absolutely rampant in football. 

• Like 4

Someone on here, apologies for not remembering who, as it is not I that deserves the credit for this observation, noted that cocaine is rife amongst premier league players, and also a banned substance, yet no-one is ever banned for taking cocaine. Unless there is an agreement that such bans are painted as injuries. 

This fact very much says that drug tests are either not a thing, or a charade. 

Furthermore I would assume that drug cheating is more than often a step ahead of drug testing. 

58 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Just take England as an example, you have how many pro footballers playing every Saturday? Yet nobody ever tests positive for anything. The law of averages means that at least a few would test positive for something but nobody does. It's bad for business to catch doping so FIFA have a no look policy. Doping is absolutely rampant in football. 

saw a documentary on BBC once about doping, also covered like the winter Olympian who had a cold and used a vics nose thing during the competition and it had a banned substance in it whereas the UK version of the same product doesn't etc etc

when I read about this before I'm sure the PL and UEFA, FIFA, IOC all lean on the world anti doping agency banned substance list, that list is updated once a year

this means that the list is released on say 1st Jan each year, the pharmaceutical companies then have 12 months to market a drug that's not banned even if they know that when the new list is published it will be on there, sports teams then employ someone to stay ahead of the curve, they carefully monitor what is banned to make sure their athletes don't take it whilst at the same time seeking new supplements and drugs that are not yet banned, from memory the vast majority of it was based around recovery rather than PEDs

I have no doubt that man city and Liverpool employ someone to do just that and that their players are taking things that are perfectly legal right now but this time next year wont be

1 hour ago, Seal said:

Someone on here, apologies for not remembering who, as it is not I that deserves the credit for this observation, noted that cocaine is rife amongst premier league players, and also a banned substance, yet no-one is ever banned for taking cocaine. Unless there is an agreement that such bans are painted as injuries. 

Furthermore I would assume that drug cheating is more than often a step ahead of drug testing. 

Has been mentioned in the past, Daryl Murphy exposed this by saying he secretly had a 6 week ban and the FA dont announce who fail drug tests. You just sit it out and sometimes clubs make up injuries

It was speculated and not confirmed before about a few high profile players that get mysterious injuries that sees them disappear for weeks including a certain ex Premier League captain with biscuit shins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

It was speculated and not confirmed before about a few high profile players that get mysterious injuries that sees them disappear for weeks including a certain ex Premier League captain with biscuit shins

Celebrated big calfs too?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seal said:

Cocaine is very rapidly motabilised, you'd be unfortunate to be caught. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I hear from someone who has connections with a lovely club, that a certain floppy haired ex captain had a double problem, with coke and sleeping pills 

This was published in April. It's scandalous.

Premier League footballers are almost never tested for the banned performance-enhancing drug testosterone, a Mail on Sunday investigation has found. And top-flight stars can expect to be subject to even the most basic drug test as infrequently as once per season.

An FA spokesman told this newspaper that ‘doping in English football is very rare’ while also refusing to provide any detailed data about how many tests for specific substances are actually undertaken each season.

spacer.png

https://archive.is/8vkMN

Edited by The_Steve

Dr Mark Bonar is an interesting guy.

Leicester City players visited him during their Premier League winning season.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5463841/Shamed-former-Harley-Street-doctor-accused-doping-stars.html

A Harley Street doctor has quit the profession and moved abroad amid claims he prescribed banned performance-enhancing drugs to 150 elite athletes and Premier League stars.

Dr Mark Bonar was secretly filmed in a sting operation in 2016 in which he prescribed steroids and other drugs to a young athlete who went to him wanting to improve his performance.

There are claims he provides his services to Man Utd / Chelsea / Leicester City,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35953447

Three Premier League clubs have denied "false" doping allegations made by the Sunday Times.

The paper claims London-based private doctor Mark Bonar prescribed banned performance-enhancing drugs to over 150 British athletes including footballers.

Arsenal said they were "extremely disappointed" by the publication of the claims, "which are without foundation".

Chelsea said the claims were "false and entirely without foundation" while leaders Leicester also denied them.

Bonar himself broke his silence on the matter on Sunday evening, writing on Twitterthat the newspaper's claims were "false and very misleading".

"I have never had a relationship with any premier football club or player," he added on his unverified account, @ZenGrifter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2629872-arsenal-and-chelsea-comment-on-dr-mark-bonars-doping-allegations

Chelsea, Arsenal and Leicester City have dismissed doping allegations from British doctor Mark Bonar, calling statements he made during an undercover interview with the Sunday Times "baseless and false." 

As relayed by the Mirror, Bonar reportedly said he has prescribed banned substances for more than 150 top athletes, including players from major Premier League clubs.

21 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Seen a few people posting things about certain clubs possibly making use of non-ethical performance enhancing techniques.

Just wondering what the alleged stories might be. There are some teams who seem to just run and run. The Bielsa Leeds team for example. Is this just down to effective training or is it something else. Wouldn't be surprised if drug testing agencies were persuaded to look the other way on occasion with the amount of money floating about at the top levels of football.

The Sky cycling team were rumoured to be doing something. Several reports of cyclists with asthma allowed certain supplements to improve fitness.

Just curious to see what people's perspectives are.

It's unbelievable the amount of top athletes who have asthma. Taken as the same proportion as the general public it seems you are 10 times more likely to suffer from asthma if you're a professional sportsman. 

Very strange, almost too coincidental you might say. 

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

This was published in April. It's scandalous.

Premier League footballers are almost never tested for the banned performance-enhancing drug testosterone, a Mail on Sunday investigation has found. And top-flight stars can expect to be subject to even the most basic drug test as infrequently as once per season.

An FA spokesman told this newspaper that ‘doping in English football is very rare’ while also refusing to provide any detailed data about how many tests for specific substances are actually undertaken each season.

spacer.png

https://archive.is/8vkMN

Not saying this graph *doesn't* show something alarming, but without knowing the denominator (ie the number of athletes who could be tested versus the number of PL players) it's not clear what it does or doesn't tell us. 

• Like 1

The only times in the last two decades of there being anything close to a drugs scandal was Mutu testing positive for cocaine which I think was a stitch up as Chelsea wanted rid and Ferdinand missing 3 tests in a row which says to be he must have been doped to the gills

• Like 1

Â