Nicolò Zaniolo

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Only if you feel so offended by someone disagreeing with you that it destroys your confidence in expressing your opinion.

I mean, come on, it wasn't even confrontational and Rodders has made a mess of himself.

There have been way more robust exchanges on here that have flared up and been resolved. Non issue.

Maybe, but this business of people coming out with stuff like "if you think that you are insulting Emery because Emery disagrees" is about the same intellectually as "IF YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE A BLUENOSE".

Just now, romavillan said:

Maybe, but this business of people coming out with stuff like "if you think that you are insulting Emery because Emery disagrees" is about the same intellectually as "IF YOU THINK THAT YOU'RE A BLUENOSE".

Don't agree, one is fair, Emery has earned our trust, your example is not something you have seen on this board, nor will you. Facebook yes, but not here. You are stretching your point. It's fine to disagree and to do so quite directly.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

He was a huge signing when he joined Roma (I think signed by Monchi) and was genuinely spoken about by Roma fans as potentially being the next Totti.  On the one hand Roma fans are desparate for another Totti to come along but on the other he is on such a high pedastal that any talk of players getting close to him should be taken as massively high praise.  When he first played, the potential was definitely there - he had superb dribbling skills, the confidence to take anyone on (and usually beat them), the habit of arriving late and finding himself in space, the ability to score goals and set up others.  He absolutely looked like the real deal (and to be honest better than anyone in the Villa team even now, I'd say two or three levels above Jack when he first really made a mark in our first team).  He's actually quite similar to Jack in many ways - I'm sure that he was one of the most fouled players in Serie A because it was really the only way to stop him at times.  The serious injuries really set him back and (even though I think he's had no relapses in a couple of years now) it took him a while to get back to match fitness / sharpness.  I don't think that he's a Mourinho type player and so there was definitely some frustration that he'd gone from being THE big hope to not being a major focus of the team's plans.

I have seen some mention that includes him in the list of Monchi's failed signings at Roma - which is incredibly harsh.  Without those injuries he was well on the way to becoming Roma's next generational star player.  He really was that good.

The questions are whether his greatest skills - attacking players at speed with the ball glued to his feet - have been impacted by his injuries and / or whether he is susceptible to a recurrence of those injuries.  I think if he is fully over the injuries and can recover his old form then he'd be sensational.  Get him back flying and the reported fee would look like being a steal.  Some of his disciplinary issues I think stem from frustration at the way he felt he was being treated after his return from injury - Mourinho's not very well known for his human, sensitive side.  I suspect that he'd be shown more "love" here and that might just make him generally a bit more chilled out.  However, he will get fouled a lot (and I do mean a lot) and so we'll need to make sure that he doesn't over-react to some of the challenges that he will be on the end of.  Tielemans and Luiz will need to make sure that they are on hand quickly should things look to be escalating.

Listen it feels like a gamble to me.  We could end up with a Jack like talent.  Or we could end up with someone who can never quite recapture what might have been.  He's well-known to Monchi and so I'd hope that he'd be able to tell which of those paths is more likely and make the appropriate decision.  His start at Roma was nothing short of sensational.  If we get that player then boy are we in for some fun over the next few seasons. 

That's why the loan with an option is perfect. It is a punt, there's no guarantee we're getting the Totti/Cassano version. I'd be more worried abotu the the depression thing to be honest as an immediate worry, he'll need to settle quick and learn the language quick. We'll have to make the perfect environement for him to get the best out of him. No doubt about his feet or football brain and vision though, got all that to a stupid level. 

• Like 4

By the way when I say attacking at speed - I don't know how fast he actually is.  However, there is fast when sprinting and fast when dribbling with the ball at your feet.  I always thought he looked the latter - his control was so good that he'd leave defenders on their heels / backsides because they couldn't get close to getting the ball off him. Once he beat his man they rarely got back to try and tackle him again because by then he'd beaten the next man and created a chance.  So he was definitely sharp and gained a yard or two over defenders in a short space / time.  I don't know how Diaby fast he was / is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

That's why the loan with an option is perfect. It is a punt, there's no guarantee we're getting the Totti/Cassano version. I'd be more worried abotu the the depression thing to be honest as an immediate worry, he'll need to settle quick and learn the language quick. We'll have to make the perfect environement for him to get the best out of him. No doubt about his feet or football brain and vision though, got all that to a stupid level. 

I'm less worried about that.  Roma and Mourinho are pretty intense.  I think we're one of the best teams around now in terms of the support we give players.  And Monchi and Emery will definitely be better at handling him and making him feel special.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think Emery is the perfect manager for him in that regard, he'll put an arm round him when needed.  

There are questions marks for sure over this signing, regarding his injury record and if he can get back to his best or not.  But that's how we're going to catch the teams above us, if Zaniolo didn't have those issue he'd cost £100m and be out of our range.  We need to take these risks, if they pay off, we're that bit closer to breaking into the top 4.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

When he first started at Roma, I guess the player that he initially reminded me of was Gazza.  Just that complete command of the ball, supreme confidence, almost effortless ability to beat players and un-erring knack of playing exactly the right ball at the right time.

Â