Fixture congestion

ender4

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah i've wanted to go to Switzlerland for a while, never been, potentially a perfect opportunity.

From what i've seen, the place literally looks like something out of a fantasy movie!

Switzerland is unbelievable and Luzern is one of the prettiest small cities in the world. Huge fan.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Our fixtures haven't been adjusted for Europe yet, because we aren't actually in the group stages. Once they are then the league games will shift to Sunday and that City game will be moved to Wednesday. Don't think they can make us play Sun/Tue.

Yeah Sun -> Tue isn't going to happen, same as Thurs -> Sat isn't allowed either. It's a load of games though, hopefully it's a problem that we keep having to deal with in the second half of the season and we go far in all comps!

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Assuming we beat Hibs/Luzern, we have a crazy fixture schedule of 31 matches between now and the end of year:

Sat 12th Aug 5.30pm - Newcastle (A)
Sun 20th Aug 2pm - Everton (H)
Thurs 24th Aug - Hibs / Luzern (A)
Sun 27 Aug 2pm - Burnley (A)
Thurs 31 Aug - Hibs / Luzern (H)
Sun 3 Sep 2pm - Liverpool (A)
Sat 16 Sep 3pm - Palace (H)
Thurs 21 Sept - UECL group match 1
Sun 24 Sep - Chelsea (A)
Wed 27 Sep - League Cup R3
Sat 30 Sep 12.30 - Brighton (H)
Thurs 5 Oct - UECL group match 2
Sun 8 Oct - Wolves (A)
Sat 21 Oct 3pm - West Ham (H)
Thurs 26 Oct - UECL group match 3
Sun 29 Oct - Luton (H)
Wed 1 Nov - League Cup R4
Sat 4 Nov - Nott Forest (A)
Thurs 9 Nov - UECL group match 4
Sun 12 Nov - Fulham (H)
Sat 25 Nov - Spurs (A)
Thurs 30 Nov - UECL group match 5
Sun 3 Dec - Bournemouth (A)
Wed 6 Dec - Man City (H)
Sat 9 Dec - Arsenal (H)
Thurs 14 Dec - UECL group match 6
Sun 17 Dec - Brentford (A)
Wed 20 Dec - League Cup QF
Sat 23 Dec - Sheffield (H)
Tues 26 Dec - Man Utd (A)
Sat 30 Dec - Burnley (H)

Klopp would be wearing a black armband all year and Guardiola would be having a meltdown already. 

But seriously, how will Emery and the team cope with it? I hope it doesn't affect our league performance too much.

From a personal point of view, i'm looking forward to having a match every 3-4 days from now until Christmas 😃

Why the hell have we signed all these players? 

Need to get rid of half of the players as they won't even get near the match day squad...........apparently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I wasn't paying amazing attention, but my impression was that Villareal didn't do very well in the league when they were doing well in the cups.

Hopefully we have a bigger squad to avoid those kinds of issues associated with 8 extra games.

They always did well enough to finishing in the top 7

13 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

They always did well enough to finishing in the top 7

I remember looking mid season once and they were a bit lower than that, but I think 7th is pretty good tbh! I was working with inferior information there.

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Assuming we beat Hibs/Luzern, we have a crazy fixture schedule of 31 matches between now and the end of year:

Sun 24 Sep - Chelsea (A)
Sun 8 Oct - Wolves (A)
Sun 29 Oct - Luton (H)
Sun 12 Nov - Fulham (H)
Sat 25 Nov - Spurs (A)
Wed 6 Dec - Man City (H)
Sat 9 Dec - Arsenal (H)
Sat 30 Dec - Burnley (H)

Klopp would be wearing a black armband all year and Guardiola would be having a meltdown already. 

But seriously, how will Emery and the team cope with it? I hope it doesn't affect our league performance too much.

From a personal point of view, i'm looking forward to having a match every 3-4 days from now until Christmas 😃

Isn't this pretty much how things were in the Championship? 2 games a week every week?

• Like 4

The biggest thing for me is this whole myth around European games on a Thursday then making the Sunday games harder

It magically doesn't happen to the CL teams that play Wednesday and Saturday... Its peddled by the media and lapped up by fans

Fortunately I think Emery knows these competitions too well to put up with that shit

Can see VP being flat on a Sunday dinnertime kick off though

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Sun 24 Sep - Chelsea (A)
Sun 8 Oct - Wolves (A)
Sun 29 Oct - Luton (H)
Sun 12 Nov - Fulham (H)
Sat 25 Nov - Spurs (A)
Wed 6 Dec - Man City (H)
Sat 9 Dec - Arsenal (H)
Sat 30 Dec - Burnley (H)

I do think having a squad of 25/26 players with at least 2 per position will help us. 4 of the ECL games will be against poor opposition. When our "B" team currently has Olsen, Dinge, Torres, Carlos, Chambers, Coutinho, Tielemans, Dendonker, Bailey, Archer/Duran, Buendia. That team is a quality PL team.

Edited by CVByrne

I think we will see some fatigue no question. However the squads big now so alot of balancing and rotation will be vital

Having to go away tk spurs and chelsea after european group games (if we get there) is not ideal

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This is what Emery does. 

However, I think everyone is aware that a European cup campaign can have an adverse impact on league performance. Look at West Ham last season.

I think we have more quality and more depth than them, we could probably field a very decent second string 11 now. 

6 hours ago, dubbs said:

Isn't this pretty much how things were in the Championship? 2 games a week every week?

Came to post the same thing. Assuming Preston get knocked out of the League cup 1st round by Salford they'll have played 26 games by the end of the year to our 31 assuming we get through the playoff round and win 2 rounds of league cup action. Otherwise it's 23 games. 

West Ham last season used 27 different players in their starting line-ups and played a total of 57 games, so 17 more than if you played a normal season and got knocked out in the first round of the cups. 

Of those 27 players, 21 were outfield players that started 10 or more games and they include Dawson who left in Jan and Ings who signed in Jan, so effectively what I'm saying is that West Ham had 22 players they used which was essentially two full teams, then a few youngsters were given a run out on the rare occasion. 

Just as a side note, all four of their senior CBs got 30+ games in total including sub appearances (Kehrer, Aguerd, Ogbonna and Zouma). 

Comparing our squad to West Ham, they had 4 senior CBs as do we, then Coufal and Johnson got game time in the same way I expect Cash and Chambers to, Digne and Moreno in the same way Emerson and Cresswell did. Comparing defenses we're definitely in a stronger position.

Comparing keepers we're weaker with 2nd choice but that discussion is at groundhog Day so gonna leave it.

Comparing managers is chalk and cheese, we have the best possible manager and backroom staff to deal with the fixture situation. 

Comparing midfield is more tricky, I do think Soucek, Rice, Paqueta and Downes is good but we arguably even win this department for strength - Luiz, Kamara, Tielemans and Dendonker is much stronger with Iroegbunam a better academy backup than Coventry too. 

Strikers they had Scamacca, Antonio and Ings whereas we have Watkins, Archer and Duran so unless the hierarchy genuinely believe we can push the latter two into being strong squad options for a season, we could do with more up top I believe. 

Then for attacking options they had Cornet, Benrahma, Bowen, Lanzini and Fornals. With Diaby, Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, McGinn, Coutinho, Philogene and Traore here we definitely need to trim in this area if we were to match strength in depth. 

When you look at Man City it's a similar story with their 61 games, only 20 outfield players for them played more than 10 games and that includes Gomes, Palmer and Lewis so basically 17 players who were established first team squad players. Again that includes Cancelo so they ended with 16 outfield players in the senior setup and 3 emerging from the under 21s to get through 61 games. Now we haven't quite got Pep in charge at the club but still. 

I do think the need for a big squad is a myth. The need for sensible rotation and good coaching / physios to keep on top of potential injuries or something similar is what is needed. You could argue injuries can derail a season but big injuries to Laporte and Phillips didn't halt Man City, no real injury worries for West Ham from what I see but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

A reason why people need to get out of the mindset that every player in means someone is on their way out of being demoted. 

It's very much a squad game for us now where you're wanting that switch to seemless. 

Made me laugh people thinking Pau signing meant Mings was on his way out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

This is the sweet spot on VT, just in-between a good preseason and the actual season. We have two stellar 11's and all our kids are probably all going to be world beaters.

Give it a week and everyone will be words removed again

Some reach this, from my opinion we have a better squad than West Ham 

4 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Some reach this, from my opinion we have a better squad than West Ham 

It wasn't aimed directly at you, more just that this place is quite enjoyable in this moment. It'll be back to the usual hell hole soon😅

I agree, we do have a better squad than West Ham, a better manager too. I agree we're set up better than them to compete in the cups and maintain a better league presence than their 15th. (I do think we'll see a dip though)

• Like 1

Â